How to convert anaglyph to side by side? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > 3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery
Discuss 3D (stereoscopic video) acquisition, post and delivery.

Old January 9th, 2011, 02:49 PM   #1
Regular Crew

How to convert anaglyph to side by side?

Hi Adam,

The Pantarheon 3D AviSynth Toolbox not only lets you combine two videos into one 3D video, it also makes it possible for you yo extract the left or the right view from anything created with the Basic Functions into a 2D video. Note I only mentioned the Basic Functions, but not anaglyphs. That is because the anaglyphs do not have enough of the original video data available to reconstruct the left and right originals.

I think most of us have anaglyph 3D HD wmv files downloaded from net but we want to watch them with our shutter glasses.

Would you give us a direction how to do this? (half resolution full color would be sufficient.)

Thanks.

Last edited by Seref Halulu; January 9th, 2011 at 03:55 PM.
Seref Halulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2011, 07:15 PM   #2
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seref Halulu View Post
That is because the anaglyphs do not have enough of the original video data available to reconstruct the left and right originals.
You answered your own question there. It is not possible.

Anaglyphs are lossy. They throw away the green and the blue channels from the left view and the red channel from the right view. And once that data is gone, it is gone. Forever. You need to know what was in those channels if you want to reconstruct the full color.

That has nothing to do with resolution. You can lower the resolution all you want, the full color information is not there.

It is kind of like my name. Adam is my middle name, Stanislav is my last name. Can you tell my first name from that information? No, you cannot. You could find it elsewhere (e.g., in my passport) but you cannot tell it from the available information. You cannot even guess it, approximate it.

Similarly, you would need the original files from which the anaglyphs were created. But you cannot get that information from the anaglyphs.

Well, there is one thing you could do, but that would require some very sophisticated software: You could analyze the two views, find which pixel in the left view corresponds to which pixel in the right view, then you could take the red channel from the left view and the green and blue channels from the corresponding pixel in the right channel. Even then you would not reconstruct the exact original (because of the way light is affected by the angle you look at it from) but you might get a satisfactory result. That would require a detailed and sophisticated analysis with a corresponding price tag.

I personally have never given much thought to the algorithmic details of performing such an analysis, so while the principle I have just described may sound simple, I am not the right person to implement it. It is the same type of analysis done by software that stitches several images into one panoramic image, so someone who has developed stitching software would have enough experience to do it. Or perhaps someone who created some deshaking software.
Adam Stanislav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2011, 03:21 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Oh, i forgot it then.
Thanks.
Old January 10th, 2011, 05:54 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Anaglyph to side by side technique

You might want to look at this technique:

Dump Those Silly Colored 3D Glasses! - V-Rtifacts

Full AVISynth code is included.

The basic idea is to pull two luminance channels from red and cyan (or green and magenta.) Or even better, if you have a 2D version of the movie, you already have one eye's view, and just need to pull the luminance from one anaglyph color. With stereoscopic luminance in hand, you then create a blurry version of just the chroma info. This can come from the 2D version, or lacking a 2D copy, just blur the original anaglyph. Finally, you apply the blurred chroma onto the two luminance channels you created as the first step, and then arrange them side by side (or top and bottom.)

This technique takes advantage of the human vision system characteristic of perceiving color in much lower resolution than the eye sees luminance (rods vs. cones.) Given clean anaglyph source, especially where the convergence/divergence is not too severe, the technique works surprisingly well.

The quality of the source material is paramount. Each generation of lossy encoding/decoding degrades the color space, and thus degrades any conversion. Blu-ray sources work quite well, while the VCD anaglyphs that circulate on Usenet and Torrents are useless.

There's lots more detail in the linked article. Give it a try.
Old January 11th, 2011, 03:21 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks Tony but the link doesn't work.
Any mirror?
Old January 11th, 2011, 04:16 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Link

Link seems OK here... Just looked at the page.

Dump Those Silly Colored 3D Glasses! How-To; Teardowns; Tutorials V-Rtifacts

Or you can find the article through the link in my signature.

Last edited by Tony Asch; January 11th, 2011 at 04:17 PM. Reason: update
Tony Asch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2011, 05:28 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Tony,
the problem is i've already found your site but i've never been able to link the main page of your site too..
I don't know what type of issue it is but it's existence for me at least.
Would you upload the documents to mediafire please?
Thanks.
Old January 11th, 2011, 05:58 PM   #8
Trustee

I don't know whether that is the reason you cannot see the site, but Turkey blocks many web sites for reasons beyond the understanding of those of us in the West. I know that some people within Turkey have been able to bypass the block by using the free version of OpenDNS.
Old January 11th, 2011, 06:23 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Oh, i'm already connected with Open DNS for ages :) Open DNS is open anymore: dunno?

BTW beyond the understanding of some/most of us...
Old January 11th, 2011, 06:37 PM   #10
Trustee

Well, I tried. :)
Old January 11th, 2011, 06:52 PM   #11
Regular Crew

:) :) :)

********* (needed to fill the 10 charecters to post this:) )
Old January 11th, 2011, 06:59 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Try through a proxy

https://proxify.com/p/001010A1000100...6c61737365732f
Old January 11th, 2011, 07:14 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Thanks a lot.
It works. :)
Best.

EDIT: I gonna do my homework asap.

Last edited by Seref Halulu; January 11th, 2011 at 07:45 PM.
Old January 23rd, 2011, 08:33 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Hi Tony.

AnaExtract.avs and xx-DeAna.avs.

I can not extract them from the AnaglyphConvert.zip folder. They seem demaged or because i downloaded over a proxi.

Could you upload them please?

Thanks.

Last edited by Seref Halulu; January 23rd, 2011 at 11:33 AM.
Old January 23rd, 2011, 09:50 AM   #15
Major Player

One other way to de-anaglyph you could try is here: 3dtv.at - DeAnaglyph .
Pavel Houda is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > 3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery