3D Blu Ray at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > 3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery
Discuss 3D (stereoscopic video) acquisition, post and delivery.

Old January 20th, 2011, 07:01 PM   #1
Major Player

3D Blu Ray

Hi all,

What is required to create a 3D Blu Ray disc..? If you have editied footage, what software can be used for Authoring?? Adobe Encore ?? Does it require a special Blu Ray Burner ?? 12X ??
Any advice or links greatly appreciated..

Thanks..
Old January 20th, 2011, 08:33 PM   #2
Trustee

Maybe this can help? Blu-ray Disc Encoding Overview. By the makers of Sony Vegas.
Adam Stanislav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2011, 09:51 AM   #3
Major Player

So far as I know, this is the least expensive system to get you into authoring spec compliant BR3D.

NetBlender, Inc.
Arnie Schlissel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2011, 09:10 AM   #4
Major Player

Re: 3D Blu Ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnie Schlissel View Post
So far as I know, this is the least expensive system to get you into authoring spec compliant BR3D.
What is the prognosis for getting to full 1080p 3D with BD-R, and a reasonably priced solution for DIY small scale delivery? Is this ever going to happen, or is it such a big deal to do spec compliant 3D that it will always be limited to very large production?

I'm using side by side for Panasonic TV, which is okay, but I would really like to go to compliant BR3D.
Charles W. Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2011, 09:54 AM   #5
Trustee

Blu-ray FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions states:

Quote:
Blu-ray utilizes the Advanced Access Content System (AACS). This system is designed to prevent illegal copying of DVDs and it’s inclusion is mandatory on all Blu-ray disks. As with Macrovision for SD DVDs, AACS has licensing and royalty fees. The client applies for an AACS Content Provider License with an annual fee of $500. Then there’s an AACS per title fee of $775, a $.05 per disc royalty, mastering fees, and other miscellaneous fees. These do not include the cost of authoring or replication.
These fees are designed to encourage you to release many Blu-ray titles every year, and to release them in high numbers, especially back when the annual fee was much higher. In those days only major studios could afford them. And remember, these are just license fees. Replication costs extra.

I find it rather insulting that the copy-protection is mandatory on all Blu-ray discs. It means they are telling you how to run your business. You pay them for protection or you are out of business. Something John Gotti spent the rest of his life in jail for.
Old May 15th, 2011, 11:11 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Stanislav View Post
Blu-ray FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions states:

These fees are designed to encourage you to release many Blu-ray titles every year, and to release them in high numbers, especially back when the annual fee was much higher. In those days only major studios could afford them. And remember, these are just license fees. Replication costs extra.

I find it rather insulting that the copy-protection is mandatory on all Blu-ray discs. It means they are telling you how to run your business. You pay them for protection or you are out of business. Something John Gotti spent the rest of his life in jail for.
Arghhh. Okay, what about non-compliant BD-R in 3D? Something that will play 3D 1080p on a 3D TV, like with 2D BD-R. What is the prognosis for DIY 3D 1080p Blu-ray?

Does it make sense to switch over to NVIDIA 3D for small scale projects?
Charles W. Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2011, 11:49 AM   #7
Regular Crew

So I output my (side-by-side) 3D files from FCP via Compressor out to my external LG blu-ray writer. The blu-ray disc was burned ok and I played it through a Panasonic BDT300 BR player onto both a Pannie VT 3DTV and an LG 950 with no problem.

Since it was a short clip I also burned it onto a DVD as AVCHD and that also worked fine.

I haven't paid any fees to anybody in order to do this, so am I going to jail?
Neil Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2011, 12:09 PM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles W. Hull View Post
Arghhh. Okay, what about non-compliant BD-R in 3D?
BD-R is under your control. You can burn anything to it, including 3D contents. Of course you still need some software to master it.
Old May 15th, 2011, 02:56 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles W. Hull View Post
What is the prognosis for getting to full 1080p 3D with BD-R, and a reasonably priced solution for DIY small scale delivery? Is this ever going to happen, or is it such a big deal to do spec compliant 3D that it will always be limited to very large production?
Personally, I think that NetBlender's price schedule is fairly reasonable, especially once you look at the alternatives! But reasonable is a relative term, what's reasonable for me may not be for you.

The licensing fees for Blu-Ray are fairly high, and the cost of an MVC encoder is pretty high, too. if you're only looking at producing one or 2 titles in limited runs, then you would look for an authoring service that can make a package deal for you. Remember that DVD and CD authoring were very costly when they were new as well, but the prices on authoring those formats is now very cheap.

If you're looking for something for home use, or just to pass around to a few friends & family, you can make a side by side disk that many TVs will recognize.
Old October 1st, 2011, 01:00 PM   #10
Regular Crew

I'm looking to burn 3D blu rays on a mac. It's my understanding that you just burn a 1080p SbS file and the playback device decodes that into 3D. Is this correct? Anyone burn 3D Blu-ray's succesfully with Compressor? Any other workflows with a Mac that people are using?

My goal is limited runs for festivals and friends with blu-ray tvs.

Thanks!
Jesse Blanchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2011, 09:05 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Blanchard View Post
I'm looking to burn 3D blu rays on a mac. It's my understanding that you just burn a 1080p SbS file and the playback device decodes that into 3D. Is this correct? Anyone burn 3D Blu-ray's succesfully with Compressor? Any other workflows with a Mac that people are using?

Thanks!
Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Richards View Post
So I output my (side-by-side) 3D files from FCP via Compressor out to my external LG blu-ray writer. The blu-ray disc was burned ok and I played it through a Panasonic BDT300 BR player onto both a Pannie VT 3DTV and an LG 950 with no problem.

Since it was a short clip I also burned it onto a DVD as AVCHD and that also worked fine.

Neil
Old October 2nd, 2011, 10:16 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Thanks Neil. I guess I'll go ahead and buy that burner today.
Jesse Blanchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2011, 03:01 PM   #13
Regular Crew

It's pretty painless, but it doesn't give you much fancy control over the menus etc. You can put a 2D still in as a background image and you can have chapters etc but all the menus are 2D as well.

I haven't worked out how to make it automatically switch the TV to 3D when the movie plays either, that bit eludes me so I have to manually select 3D mode. That is a pain and so only really good for demo's I guess until I can figure out how to do it. Putting my Pannie TV into "auto" 3D doesn't do the trick either so I don't know what gives. If you work it out I'd really appreciate knowing about it :)

Cheers

Neil
Old October 2nd, 2011, 06:02 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Blanchard View Post

Thanks!
If you are willing to live with half res, you can use Toast as well. The problem with BD3D are the menus and the frame-packed mode (2 1080 full res progressive frames in one frame period and 24/48 Hz). Bandwidth is the issue. SBS/AB @60Hz with some inconveniences in switching from 2D to 3D manually can be done using 2D BD burning S/W like the Toast on the MAC. Of course you can auto-play and don't deal with menus, depending on your material and preferences. My TV normally senses the Side-by-side and switches into 3D mode automatically.
Pavel Houda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2011, 10:03 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Okay, I'm starting to piece it together. So, there are two routes to burning 3D Blu-Rays

1.Burn a SbS, Over/Under, etc file to a blu-ray disc and have the playback device decode it. Your video looses half resolution. Author with Toast, Compressor, etc

2. Use Netblender (or some other software) to burn the disc using the BD3D standard and get 1080p, 3D menus, and other bells and whistles.
Jesse Blanchard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > 3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery