zoom vs variable interaxial - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > 3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery
Discuss 3D (stereoscopic video) acquisition, post and delivery.

Old February 9th, 2011, 03:00 PM   #16
Major Player

This, ironically, would help with the vergence-accomodation problem. Once you correct your vision with eyewear to focus to the screen, you are not re-focusing with convergence. At least it sounds like it.
Pavel Houda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2011, 02:58 PM   #17
Major Player

I did an experiment on zooming a long time ago, when I was really starting with learning about all the 3D pitfalls, and this is what I got: YouTube - 3d: Early 3D Zoom Sync Tests . I didn't bother with any precision alignment, just eyeballing it. It is not good enough, specially if you start looking at it on 100" or so screen TVs. I was also good (and still am) at window violations. This is here to make the masters feel good ;-)
Old February 11th, 2011, 03:30 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Thanks for the YouTube link, Pavel.
I watched it in checkerboard mode on my desktop monitor and it was fun to look at.
All I have been able to do so far is zoom in small increments and adjust the toe in during the incremental pause in order to keep everything behind the screen. I am not able to synchronize the zoom with the toe in yet.
Also, my current setup only toes in the right camera. My new design uses one servo to toe in both at the same time.
Frank Stearns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2011, 11:27 PM   #19
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavel Houda View Post
I did an experiment on zooming a long time ago
It looked good with my nVidia glasses (with the exception of the vase or whatever it was at the right edge :-) ).

By the way, who was the singer? He sounds familiar but I cannot figure out who it was. Reminds me of Neckář but was much better than him.
Adam Stanislav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2011, 01:09 AM   #20
Major Player

Thanks Adam. I completely forgot about the pitcher, sitting on the table, but I didn't want to process it out. The singer is Pavel Novak, was part of a band called Synkopa - music of my youth. He was very popular at one time (~1967), but unfortunately flamed out fast.
Old February 12th, 2011, 03:25 AM   #21
Trustee

Thanks. Unfortunately, I do not recognize his name, even though that was my youth as well. But he is good.

Yes, the pitcher was a textbook example of what not to do. :) It was seen by one eye several times, while the other eye either saw just a small piece of it, or even none of it. That made it look transparent. And it was confusing because it was impossible to decide where in the 3D space it was.

Of course it does not matter in your video because you were experimenting and the whole point of experimenting is to see what works and what does not. Your zooms certainly looked very nice as far as 3D is concerned.
Adam Stanislav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2011, 07:49 PM   #22
Regular Crew

I am starting to see that dual camcorders have a serious defect which is lack of optical stabilizer lock.
Not sure if there is a solution.
Frank Stearns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2011, 11:13 PM   #23
Major Player

Yes, Alister talked about it on this forum in the past. I don't know how to lock the system either. Does anyone have a suggestion?

Last edited by Pavel Houda; February 17th, 2011 at 01:08 AM.
Old February 18th, 2011, 03:57 AM   #24
Inner Circle

When the OIS is off on most camcorders it doesn't move about unless you shock the camera. What can happen though is that when you cycle the power the position of the stabiliser may change and you will often get a different position on the horizontal camera compared to the vertical on a beam splitter. This can normally be adjusted out on the rig.
Old February 18th, 2011, 09:28 AM   #25
Major Player

What about if you zoom in and back, will that effect the floating stabilizing element, or will it stay put?
Old February 20th, 2011, 11:03 AM   #26
Major Player

Frank, I just saw a footage here: YouTube - 3d walk yushimatenjin ( 3D?? ???? ) , which had a lot of zooming in it, and looked very nice. I asked the author, and he said that it was captured with the new JVC camera (GS-TD1), which was recently released in Japan. This is definitely way better for my needs, when taking closer shots, than my current rig. Zooming seems flawless, stabilized... I am impressed. I saw the camera but never any footage from it, until now. The depth bracket doesn't go too far, so it would be a good compliment with my current rig, that can be spaced wider with no problems. Both would be still lighter than mirror rigs.
Old February 21st, 2011, 03:02 PM   #27
Regular Crew

Re: zoom vs variable interaxial

Pavel the video was impressive showing the camera's ability to zoom, etc. It appeared to be an edited clip since it jumped from scene to scene so does this imply it records in a more usable format for editing than the Sony 3D camera? I haven't found anything showing the file format, and the JVC page only said you could edit the 3D still images. One other thing that seemed like a good feature was time lapse 3D, that could open up some more uses for 3D IMO.
Steve LaPierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2011, 07:05 PM   #28
Major Player

The streams are encoded in MVC format, which is basically the same as the Sony. There are several "profiles" to all these formats, so it is hard to say whether they are exactly the same, but most likely they are. The problem I had with the Sony was that the rep told me that you cannot read the stream out of the camcorder, and it has fairly huge on board storage, but they should be able to output the stream over the USB port, so I don't know how to interpret that statement. I heard that more than once. Of course anything recorded on the removable media should be readable, so hopefully they don't scramble the data somehow. It is my understanding that the Sony Vegas Pro either can now, or soon, will be able to edit the MVC stream. There are some converters available that can unwind MVC to dual AVC streams, and other formats. Of course once you demux the stream, just about any editor should be able to handle it. The beauty is that everything is nicely aligned in time and space. I spend a long time to do that with my footage.
Old February 27th, 2011, 09:34 AM   #29
Inner Circle

Sony Vegas 10 will edit most MVC formats.

I have been playing with a pair of Canon XF105's on my mirror rig and with the 105's you can use the optical image stabiliser to compensate for lens axis shifts. It's very clever and takes only a couple of minutes to calibrate the cameras using the built in routine. Once both cameras were set I was able to do sync zooms that tracked very well using the IR remote. Very impressive.
Old February 27th, 2011, 02:54 PM   #30
Major Player

That is great news on both counts.

BTW., I have been watching some new YouTube contributions from the new JVC camcorder, and I have mixed feelings about the new batch of narrow stereobase camcorders. They will certainly be lot more error proof than current amateur "rigs", and useful for closeups, but as would make sense, the 3D bracket is very small and the videos are "cardboardy". Good for close shots, but the 3D becomes 2D very quickly. I'd love very portable down mirror rig...
Pavel Houda is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > 3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery