DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/3d-stereoscopic-production-delivery/)
-   -   16 S3D Camera Rigs (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/3d-stereoscopic-production-delivery/491355-16-s3d-camera-rigs.html)

Sareesh Sudhakaran February 7th, 2011 04:59 AM

16 S3D Camera Rigs

Just thought I'd share this info with everyone. Sixteen manufacturers of S3D rigs from around the world:
Sixteen 3D Rig Manufacturers - An Overview | LIVE-PRODUCTION.TV

Simon Wood February 7th, 2011 11:43 AM

Amazing!
Truly amazing that this 3D gimmick is still rolling!

I've yet to meet anyone who actually likes 3D in the real world. Sure everyone talks about that one scene in Avatar where you have some fluff flying around, but that's it. One scene from one movie.

We'll all have a good laugh about it in a few years no doubt...

Arnie Schlissel February 8th, 2011 10:00 AM

My mother likes watching movies in S3D. And she's 80 and has cataracts.

Alister Chapman February 8th, 2011 01:46 PM

So, if so few people actually like it, why are millions and millions of people expressing a preference for 3D versions over 2D versions of the same movie by paying extra money to watch the 3D screenings?

If they didn't like 3D or felt it detracted from the movie going experience, then I'm quite sure they would not pay extra, I know I wouldn't. While it might not appeal to everyone, the people it does seem to appeal to are the ones prepared to spend money by going to watch movies in the cinema. These are the people the industry needs more than anyone else.

In a couple of years time, almost every TV sold will be 3D capable. Not everyone will use those capabilities, just like today where almost every TV set sold is HD ready, but not everyone watches everything in HD. But if even only a small percentage of the audience decides they want 3D then there will be a market for it. Just the same as some people like soaps, some like drama and some like documentaries, but not everyone likes everything.

Shame they missed out the Genus Hurricane Rig.

Simon Wood February 8th, 2011 02:36 PM

Alister - sorry if I sounded a bit nasty. Not my intention.

I realize that a lot of people in the industry are working on ingenious solutions in the whole 3D field (even on this network guys such as yourself and the guys over at nanoflash are developing great products).

I certainly find these products interesting, and I'm keen to read up on the latest trends. But I think that people involved in the video industry are predisposed to adopting new technology, especially in order to keep up with the newest standards.

There seems to be a lot of enthusiasm for 3D within the industry, but I dont think that this necessarily correlates with the enthusiasm that the general population has towards 3D. Most people I know seem to have a negative attitude towards it. That said, they still go to the big blockbusters when they come out, but this seems to be a result of marketing from the movies more than anything else (rather than a great desire to see another 3D movie).

From my memory, people were fairly warm towards the introduction of widescreen, flatscreen, HD and Blueray (they did not necessarily buy into it from the get go, but there was an acceptance that this was a natural progression and that they would adopt when they were ready). This does not seem to be the case with 3D TV's as people seem genuinely hostile towards it.

Maybe I just hang out with the wrong people?

Alister Chapman February 8th, 2011 04:34 PM

3D TV has a long way to go and even I as a fan of 3D don't believe it will be the norm for all genres. There are some genres however that I feel may really benefit from 3D. Natural History and science programming in particular could IMHO be greatly enhanced through 3D.

One of the biggest objections to 3D at the moment appears to be the wearing of glasses, rather than to the 3D itself and we have to be careful about this, because the more you do some thing strange or un usual the less it becomes uncomfortable. It's also important to understand that the more 3D you watch, the fewer uncomfortable experiences you will have as your visual system becomes more accustomed to it.

If you look at kids that play computer games in 3D, they may become so accustomed to watching screens in 3D that for them 2D becomes unusual. This is speculation on my part, but not beyond the realms of possibility.

I agree that electronics companies push new technologies on consumers as a way to boost sales, but that is the way of the world. If it didn't happen then we would still be listening to the wireless. Most people thought Television was an expensive fad in the early days.