DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/3d-stereoscopic-production-delivery/)
-   -   fuji W3 layered stereo .avi (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/3d-stereoscopic-production-delivery/491573-fuji-w3-layered-stereo-avi.html)

Ron Labbe February 10th, 2011 07:07 PM

fuji W3 layered stereo .avi

Hello...
Does anyone understand the Fuji stereo format for the W3? The best I can gather it's a "layered" file, but what does that mean? 3D tvs seem to recognize it, but only from the camera (not as a file from a computer). Is there a way to format stereo videos in this way?

ron labbe
studio 3D

Carlton Bright February 10th, 2011 08:53 PM

Hi Ron,
A fellow W3 user suggested Stereosplicer, and is gives you a seperate L&R file from the single clip.

StereoSplicer

iI works well.
And congratulations on your show at the Peabody Museum, it looked interestng on the website.

Carlton Bright,
Stereoptical videographer

Adam Stanislav February 10th, 2011 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Labbe (Post 1616883)
not as a file from a computer

What does it look like when played as a file from a computer?

Ron Labbe February 11th, 2011 07:34 PM

Carlton:
I don't want to split the movies (Stereo Movie Maker does that very well), I want to make my own "layered" video.
Adam: It looks just like you'd see it on a monitor, 2D.

Adam Stanislav February 11th, 2011 11:41 PM

Hmmm... Hard to tell. FinePix REAL 3D W3 | Specifications | Fujifilm Global just says, “3D-AVI (Stereo AVI format with 2 image channels)” which really does not say anything because it does not mention what codec it uses. Did you try examining the file with MediaInfo? It should tell you what codec it uses, which may at least help you find more information.

Pavel Houda February 12th, 2011 01:24 AM

How are you playing the video Ron? If you are using HDMI, the camera has HDMI 1.4 I/F, so it probably outputs page flipped video. Adam created a S/W to generate that output for a test some time ago. http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/3d-stere...-avisynth.html. If you are using USB port, than the TV is capable of inputting format that many TVs will not play. Some TVs play from CF cards as well. It is my understanding that the frames are layered in a method very similar to what Peter Wimmer's Stereoscopic Multiplexer outputs. HDMI 1.4(a) would output page flipped, SbS or A/U packed streams, 1.4 only mandated page flipped, the other two were optional.

Ron Labbe February 12th, 2011 09:29 AM

MediaInfo (thanks) reveals 2 video streams, jpeg/jpeg... 1 PCM audio stream.
One .avi with 2 video streams! Seems like this format would make sense as an alternate to SbS or O/U, but how to implement? I thought Wimmer's multiplexer was for live video feeds. And the AVIsynth script is for FHD3D files, isn't it? (I still haven't figured out how to use AVIsynth)

It must be that the camera outputs these as pageflipped...

(note: I was able to use nVidia's 3DTV Play on the Panasonic 3D TV and run various 3D videos via Stereoscopic Player! From my desktop, nVidia FX Quadro 3800)

Adam Stanislav February 12th, 2011 12:36 PM

One .avi with two video streams is not a bad idea. It would require a player that can play those files in 3D, while any traditional player would just ignore one of the streams and play the file in 2D.

AviSynth is not that hard to use. It is a scripting language. The AviSynth Wiki is a good place to start learning about it.

As for my AviSynth scripts for 3D, you can read about it at Pantarheon 3D AviSynth Toolbox. It explains what formats it supports. It is for any files that AviSynth can read.

Ron Labbe February 12th, 2011 04:27 PM

Adam...
Seems pretty simple to do those things in Premiere that you got going with AVISynth (not that I don't want to learn another program, especially a non GUI~!) But...
When you output to the HDMI 1.4a (1920x2205) will a 3D TV recognize it as 3D automatically if it comes through an HDMI 1.4a cable??

Adam Stanislav February 12th, 2011 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Labbe (Post 1617567)
When you output to the HDMI 1.4a (1920x2205) will a 3D TV recognize it as 3D automatically if it comes through an HDMI 1.4a cable??

I really do not know. I do not have a 3D TV, so I could not test that one. I sort of doubt it, though. I included that particular option because another forum member wanted to play with it.

I mean, that would really depend on the player. If the player understands that it is formatted in the HDMI 1.4a way and just sends it over the cable, in theory the TV should understand it and display it properly. Alas, I am not aware of any such player. Most 3D players will understand the side-by-side format, though some of them will only understand it if it is squeezed to half horizontal resolution.

As for Premiere, it is a highly overpriced piece of software that many people cannot afford. AviSynth, on the other hand, is free and very popular. So, I wrote the script for it.

I actually use Sony Vegas which now includes 3D support internally. But it did not when I wrote my Vegas Bororo 3D plug-ins and the AviSynth scripts. If it had, I probably would not have written any of these. With Bororo 3D I was able to create the squeezed side-by-side format but not the full side-by-side (because I could not see anything in the plug-in API that would allow me to change the size of the output bitmap). That was the main reason to write the AviSynth script. And as long as I was writing it, I included all the other formats (since not everyone has Sony Vegas either).

Ron Labbe February 12th, 2011 07:59 PM

You're right that Premiere is overpriced, but I'm in on the Adobe bundle so it's not quite as painful :) Hoping that they'll be supporting stereo soon, but I've been saying that with my REALLY expensive 3ds MAX for years!!

thanks for your help~