Canon XF105's and Zoom Axis Shift - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > 3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery

3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery
Discuss 3D (stereoscopic video) acquisition, post and delivery.

Old July 10th, 2011, 10:18 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: Canon XF105's and Zoom Axis Shift

Anybody use a pair of XF305s for 3D? or a XF305 paired with a 105? I'm especially interested to see if you can get good results with these two given the 3 vs 1 sensor. Plus, if just the 105 has lens alignment, is that enough to match the 305? Can the 305 control the 105? These seem like the best 3D camera options right now but they don't seem to be getting much use.
Jesse Blanchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2011, 08:35 PM   #17
Wrangler

The lens systems are very different so I wouldn't pair a 105 with a 305. However, it is possible to pair a 100 with a 105 or 300 with a 305 by using the component out from the 100 or 300 as the genlock source for the other camera. This works best with 60i, 50i, 30P or 25P, but is hit or miss with 24P because of the pulldown pattern.

I have a couple XF305 cameras this week for testing and will report back.
Old July 11th, 2011, 11:13 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Thanks Tim!

Based on the specs alone I'm considering getting a pair of 305's (or 305/300 combo). But I would feel a lot better knowing your opinion before I plunk down that much cash.
Old July 12th, 2011, 01:02 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Just consider that if you want to use the 305's on any type of mirror rig the protruding microphone and viewfinder assembly will block the view of the opposing camera restricting you to longer focal lengths, which is not what you want with 3D. Also on mirror rigs the poorer low light performance compared to an EX means you need to either use more light or put up with noisy pictures.
Old July 12th, 2011, 10:48 AM   #20
Regular Crew

If the mic doesn't go past the lens barrel, how does it block the other camera? I understand you won't be able to get it as close to the mirror accounting for the 45° angle. But it seems like it should be usable for most of the zoom range. Have you tried a pair and run into this specifically? Any chance removing that piece like some have done with the viewfinders for EX1 for SbS rigs?
Old July 12th, 2011, 03:33 PM   #21
Wrangler

On both of the XF models the microphone does extend out past the front of the lens (with lens hood detached.) This causes many issues in most beamsplitters.
Unfortunately, the microphones are not detachable.
Old July 21st, 2011, 01:06 AM   #22
Inner Circle

The XF105 is very useable with just a small amount of zoom in as the mic only protrudes by about 15mm. On the XF305 the mic sticks forwards of the lens by about 50mm and this creates big problems.

I have used these cameras on my Hurricane Rigs and it is a very real problem. I know that some people (with help from Canon) are working to find a way to remove the mic assemblies without damaging the cameras.

Genus have just completed the first prototypes of a new hood for the Hurricane Rig specifically for the XF105's.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > 3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery