DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/3d-stereoscopic-production-delivery/)
-   -   Bad Anaglyph good Side by Side view (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/3d-stereoscopic-production-delivery/495347-bad-anaglyph-good-side-side-view.html)

Patrick Scott Fisher May 2nd, 2011 07:39 PM

Bad Anaglyph good Side by Side view

I'm very new to 3d, and I'm definitely in the experimentation phase of my learning curve. I have only had a chance to experiment with single camera stills combined to create my 3d effect. I have posted on youtube 3d to test the effect and I'm very happy viewing the results with my inexpensive loreo side by side paper viewer. However, when I try the anaglyph view, the quality is very poor and ghosting is bad. I have several anaglyph glasses and they produce just varying levels of bad.
I know anaglyph is a poor viewing option, but It seems some of the yt3d videos deliver an "acceptaple" anaglyph viewing experience. I'd like anything I produce to look acceptable in anaglyph since thats the only option many yt3d viewers have.
here's a link to one of my yt3d stills.
YouTube - Fourth3DPhoto.mp4
I appreciate and help tips you guys have.
Thanks

Adam Stanislav May 2nd, 2011 09:49 PM

Re: Bad Anaglyph good Side by Side view

Unless you explicitly tell YouTube otherwise, it expects the left view in the right half of the frame and the right view in the left half. Is that what you are doing? Because it sure feels like you are not.

Patrick Scott Fisher May 3rd, 2011 08:48 AM

I think you may be right. I actually knew about the flip, guess I just forgot. However it still looks pretty crappy even when I chgoose "swap"

Pavel Houda May 3rd, 2011 10:47 AM

Patrick, I when I look at your shot, I don't see swap problem. I do see window violation though.

The anaglyph ghosting is a different issue. That will in a very great extend depend on the glasses and the display. If the display purity is not good, there will be ghosting (left eye seems some of the right image, and vice-versa). There are many processing methods and algorithms available to help the issue, but if you cannot control the display and glasses (as you cannot do in the case of general YouTube audience), the results will greatly vary, and be mostly bad, with the new LCD LED backlit panels. The white on those is not really a good white spectrum to begin with. They also manipulate (mix) colors too much to get wider palette. Plasma should be better, they at least use phosphors and at least use additive, instead of subtractive system.

There is a lot of information on anaglyph ghosting on the web. If you can control both the source display, filters and processing, as well as the glasses, you can get very decent results with anaglyph. The colors will never be close to true. I like the ColorCode system much better than the red/cyan. At least it preserves the skin tones little better. however, it is much less available in the US.

Tim Dashwood May 3rd, 2011 11:12 AM

Also, the more parallax separation you have the more ghosting you will see. The best anaglyphs typically only have maximum 1% of screen width positive and/or negative parallax. I just glanced at your video and it looks like you are probably in the range of 5% to 10% of screen width parallax. You should try shifting the left and right images toward each other to create a convergence point as a first step in solving this issue.

Adam Stanislav May 3rd, 2011 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pavel Houda (Post 1645298)
I don't see swap problem.

I don’t see it anymore either. Either he fixed it or my eyes just had too much trouble adjusting to the other problems yesterday.

Patrick Scott Fisher May 3rd, 2011 11:12 PM

Thanks for all the help. I'll check my technique for window violations, Still learning. Can someone tell me why my sbs viewer looks great and anaglyph so awful? should I trust anaglyph or sbs or find a happy medium?