DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/3d-stereoscopic-production-delivery/)
-   -   DIY 3D Theater (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/3d-stereoscopic-production-delivery/497111-diy-3d-theater.html)

Jesse Blanchard June 13th, 2011 02:14 PM

DIY 3D Theater

Just got my 3D theater up and running this weekend. I did a quick overview of the set-up. I'm still looking for the best integration with FCP. And honestly considering other software suites if I can't find the right solution.

Charles W. Hull June 14th, 2011 07:47 PM

Re: DIY 3D Theater

That is terrific Jesse, good work.

Here are my questions:
1. How hard was it (how much time) to align the projectors?
2. Early on in the video you say you use linear polarizers. Later (about 3:00 min) you say you used circular to match the Real D glasses. I'm confused - linear? Circular? Both?
3. I have a Stewart Firehawk G3, and I have seen it rated well for polarization (if/when I go to 3D). Do you have any idea how it might compare to the Strong / MDI?

For your MAC/Windows workflow, couldn't you get a cheapo PC dedicated to just Stereoscopic Player?

Jesse Blanchard June 15th, 2011 08:42 AM

1.Aligning the projectors is easy...now that I've built my third projector mount. I found that I need to be able to move the projectors themselves to rough-in the alingment. So, I built a platform to hold them that I could slide them around on. Once it was roughed in, I built small screws that I could use to raise and lower each projector to tweak the height and leveling. The projectors I have have both digitial and physical lens shift and I used the physical first, then shrunk the image and moved the window around digitally. All this took awhile to figure out, but now I can align them pretty quickly. Surprisingly, 3D is actually very forgiving, so you don't have to get them pixel perfect.
2.Linear vs. Circular - All you have to do is swap the filters in front of the projector to run the different system. I'm using linear now because the quality is better, but I want to demo the circular filters just to show it's possible to match the RealD glasses. I'm getting a nicer pair of circular filters this week and I will test those out for quality. So, either way is fine. Just make sure yours are high-quality.
3.No idea how your Stewart Firehawk will compare to my Strong/MDI has a link here 3D Screen Evaluation - STRONG / MDI Screen Systems that has some evaluating criteria on it.

And yes, I could get a dedicated PC. But I want to actively edit and align my footage in post so I really want something that I can do that with. I'm working on a 3D movie you can see here Chompers 3D

Alister Chapman June 18th, 2011 06:31 AM

I would be extremely cautious about using a dual projectors system for post alignment. Any miss alignment in the projectors would end up burnt-in the the finished and "aligned" video. Much better to do any alignment using anaglyph, difference, false colour etc on a monitor. You will also have colour differences between the projectors/polarisers so colour correction should also be done on a single monitor.

Matrox DualHead2go works well with FCP, just create a project with your clips side by side (project width is twice original video width) and set preview to the DVI output with the DH2G connected, one projector on each of the DH2G outputs and your in business. You'll need the DP edition for 2x 1920x1080 outputs and a good video card in the Mac with a display port output.

Maheel Perera September 4th, 2011 08:15 AM

Jesse,

Did you test the Circular Polarizers with your system? What are the C/P s you got?

Thanks.

Jesse Blanchard September 6th, 2011 10:18 AM

The Circular Polarizers featured in this video are not good. They work but severely degrade the image. I got a new pair from American Polarizers Inc (Linear Polarizer | Circular Polarizers | Display Filters) which are great. I updated the video yesterday. I also found that I can do playback with VLC player. Here's the new video.

Neil Richards September 10th, 2011 04:23 AM

Jesse, this is really interesting and very timely as I'm looking into inexpensive 3D projectors for exhibition use and live performance. I don't think I'd use it for editing purposes, easier and more accurate to use a 3D TV as Alister says, but I have a number of potential areas

Any chance you could post a *kit list* of parts used, suppliers and rough prices?

Love the idea it's passive - only concern is how delicate the silver screen is - can you comment? IS it fixed installation our could it be quasi-portable somehow if not too large?

Thanks

Maheel Perera September 12th, 2011 07:38 AM

Jesse,

I also PM'd you regarding information on Part list and prices. It will be great to have a theater with passive glasses.

Thanks.

Jesse Blanchard September 12th, 2011 10:51 AM

Yes! I am working on an comprehensive blogpost that shows all the components (like some sweet DVI to HDMI cables I got off Amazon). Unfortunately, I am swamped right now. My last 3D short Shine was accepted to the 3DFF and.....Anyways, I will get this up but it might take me a week or so. Sorry for the delay. As someone who hates waiting: I hate to make others wait.

Maheel Perera September 12th, 2011 07:50 PM

Thanks Jesse,

congratulations for your success at 3DFF.

Jesse Blanchard October 12th, 2011 04:35 PM

Hey Guys - Just finished a blogpost that goes into much more detail about making a 3D theater. It also provides links to all the suppliers I used. Hope this helps. Hit me back with any questions. How to set-up your own 3D theater. Chompers 3D

Maheel Perera October 12th, 2011 08:04 PM

Thanks Jesse,

If you coul provide rough guide on the prices it is a great help.

Jesse Blanchard October 17th, 2011 02:11 PM

Rough Prices are as follows:
Projectors $1,500-4,000 a piece
Linear Polarizers $50 a piece
Circular Polarizers $300+ a set
Silver Screen $300+
Computer

That's for this set-up. I've attached links in the blogpost so you can request specifics from the manufacturers.

Maheel Perera October 17th, 2011 08:03 PM

Thanks Jesse for the information.