GoPro 3D with Sunex (no fisheye) lenses at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > 3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery
Discuss 3D (stereoscopic video) acquisition, post and delivery.

Old July 10th, 2011, 06:56 PM   #1
Major Player

GoPro 3D with Sunex (no fisheye) lenses

I've swapped out the fisheye lenses on a GoPro 3D with a pair of Sunex dsl355a-650-f2.8 lenses. See this thread. http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/new-micr...ers-gopro.html

The original fisheye lenses are okay for action video, but are very limiting for general 3D video. The Sunex lenses are wide angle, but not nearly as wide as the fisheye lenses, and they don't have the extreme barrel distortion. They deliver very nice images. The advantage comes in working with the GoPro 3D system, with the camera mount, the syncronization, and the GoPro Cineform Studio software. The files are also compatible with Cineform Neo and Neo 3D, and can be adjusted for 3D and with all the FirstLight effects.

Changing the lenses is fairly straightforward; see the video in the referenced thread. Getting the lenses in good focus was a challenge - the GoPro LCD gets you close, but then it takes a series of photos and lens adjustments to tweak it in.

I'm using the GoPro in the process of learning 3D. Seasoned 3D pros might want to consider something like this as a cheap B cam to mix in with the main cameras.
Attached Thumbnails
GoPro 3D with Sunex (no fisheye) lenses-img_4387_1.jpg  
Charles W. Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2011, 12:21 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: GoPro 3D with Sunex (no fisheye) lenses

great!
now you can share some 3D gopro videos!
Maybe aerial? :))
Old July 11th, 2011, 04:17 PM   #3
New Boot

Great stuff!

Looking forward to seeing a bit of footage. We got ourselves a couple of 3D Hero kits here so im definitely going to try this.

Thanks Charles.
Bwe Weston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2011, 12:19 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Looks pretty rad. I'm assuming, from the looks of it, that this compromises the waterpoofness, and the dome lens cover thing doesn't fit back on?
Old July 12th, 2011, 08:22 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Fullerton View Post
Looks pretty rad. I'm assuming, from the looks of it, that this compromises the waterpoofness, and the dome lens cover thing doesn't fit back on?
That's right. Ian Newland, who suggested this approach to me also built an extension to accomodate a dome lens for his normal GoPro, not a GoPro 3D. For what I'm doing right now I don't need waterproof - if I do I'll work on adding an extension.
Charles W. Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2011, 02:34 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Here is a 3D YouTube video I put together that some might find interesting.
‪3 3D camcorder voyage‬‏ - YouTube
I put the Sunex lenses on the 3D Hero months ago and am glad I did.
Frank Stearns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2011, 07:17 AM   #7
Regular Crew

The biggest issue I have with the GoPro 3D Hero is not being able to monitor the output and see where the heck the thing is pointing. I shot a lot of video with it mounted to my head that potentially could have been good but was ruined because it was not pointed accurately enough.
I need to design a new case that will allow me to get to the composite video outs so I can monitor it with a small LCD monitor that I have.
While at it I think I'll see if I can make the IA adjustable also.
Frank Stearns is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > 3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery