JVC Upgrade its 3D GS-TD1 Camera with AVCHD 2.0 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > 3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery

3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery
Discuss 3D (stereoscopic video) acquisition, post and delivery.

Old August 26th, 2011, 02:58 PM   #1
Major Player

JVC Upgrade its 3D GS-TD1 Camera with AVCHD 2.0

JVC announced today that it will offer a free upgrade to its 3D Capable GS-TD1 Camera to AVCHD 2.0.
This upgrade will allow all the advantage of AVHCD 2.0 to the GS-TD1 with the capacity to now record Full HD (1080/60p) 3D video camera at 34Mbps in to MP4 (MVC).
If you own one of this GS-TD1 Camera make sure to rush download the latest firmware update on JVC support page.

Well, what say Sony about new firmware for TD10 ?
Serge Victorovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2011, 08:29 PM   #2
Wrangler

Re: JVC Upgrade its 3D GS-TD1 Camera with AVCHD 2.0

AVCHD 2.0 doesn't necessarily mean they will utilize 1080p60 in 3D. I read the original JVC release and there is one small reference to 1080p60 and AVCHD 3D but I don't really understand the significance of rest of it with regards to Blu-Ray.
Victor Company Japan Press Release GS-TD1

Hopefully they will release an English press release soon that I can understand.
Old August 27th, 2011, 06:19 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Re: JVC Upgrade its Camera with AVCHD 2.0

what we need is 3D 24p because currently it is the only format you can burn on a blu-ray, and blu-ray is the only format widely accepted for HD and 3D.
so Sony has the TD10 shooting 50/60i and he NX3D1 (twice the price for same camera) shooting at 24p.
It is so very probable they will not kill the "pro" product by giving the same feature to a cheaper "consumer product.
The JVC 3D GS-TD1 is not shooting 3D 24p neither.
It is really crazy that big brand names trying to push 3D to consumers are not capable to provide the right tools. I really expect the 3D to fail again due to these many bottlenecks, artificially created.
Let's put in the same bucket the fact that most of 3D movies released for theaters are locked for blu-ray distribution. Again , who will buy a 3D equipement if if cannot see or record a movie with it.
that is simply silly....
That is also why i am selling my TD10, wich on the other hand is one of the greatest 3D camera ever made.

Last edited by Tim Dashwood; August 27th, 2011 at 07:04 PM. Reason: Incorrect company name. Changed "Canon" to "Sony"
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2011, 11:46 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Giroud, you are absolutely right! It's insane not to support 24P in a consumer product - when it's mandated by both the 3D Blu-ray spec AND HDMI 1.4a. Most users can't even view the output from these cameras in full HD 3D on their 3DTVs (they have to set the camera to side-by-side output).
David M. Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2011, 01:21 PM   #5
Major Player

Re: JVC Upgrade its Camera with AVCHD 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroud Francois View Post
trying to push 3D to consumers are not capable to provide the right tools.
1080p24 good, but 1080p60 for 3D is better:)
You need Blu Ray as distribution media? Why 24p only?
Use 720p50 is adequate for most cases, because lenses of TD10 and avc/mvc codec do not give you _real_ vertical resolution 1080. May be only 700-800 lines:)

For better quality to avoid internal AVC/MVC coder we need capture via HDMI 1.4 use Cinedeck (very expensive) or portable capture station based on DeckLink HD Extreme 3D.
Serge Victorovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2011, 07:00 PM   #6
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroud Francois
The JVC 3D GS-TD1 is not shooting 3D 24p neither.
It sounds like no one here is aware of JVC's GY-HMZ1, which is the 24P with XLR pro variant of the GS-TD1. It is the best-of-the-bunch for full manual picture control and it has a timelapse intervalometer built in. The best part is that B&H has it listed for $1995 USD and says it will be available in October. That is only about $500 more than the consumer models from Sony and JVC.

I am preparing a comparison review of all the new models being released.
Old August 27th, 2011, 11:47 PM   #7
Tourist

The JVC Japan press release states, "start date update Dec 2011 (tentative)"

Sorry... no rushing out and downloading this one yet.
Paul Hubert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2011, 03:50 AM   #8
Inner Circle

"1080p24 good, but 1080p60 for 3D is better:)
You need Blu Ray as distribution media? Why 24p only?"

yep, 60p is better than 24p or 60i , but again it is not a supported format.
and i do not need Blu ray, but if somedy has gone 3D, there is 99% chance they purchase a 3D lcd screen and a blu ray reader, so i will not try to convert the world to my format, but will try to use the exisisting one.
And yes 720p is also a solution, but unfortunately none of the camera above has a 3D 720p mode.
and going from 1080i to 720p require deinterlace and resize. If this is easy for 2D, it can be very tricky for 3D, deinterlacing causing artifact that you would hardly notice in 2D but would popup like mad in 3D du to the superposition of left/right picture.

In short, Sony made a standard for HD and 3D on disk, produced disk, reader, screen and all the industry aligned to these standard. Now, they release a 3D camera that is a little marvel , but is absolutely imcompatible with all the previous equipement. WTF....
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2011, 01:02 AM   #9
Major Player

HDMI 1.4(a) specifies 1080p 24/48 frame packed. 60p would require too high bandwidth for that standard. Side-by-side or above/below is much easier to handle and a different story. If they want to play camcorder directly connected frame packed video and play it on "3D ready TV", they have to stick to standards limitations, or face bitching customers, who are returning equipment because it doesn't work. Even if they show in manuals and on boxes that for example 60p frame packed would work on their select 3DTV model, they'll quickly find out that people do not read well. Finally, the cables become a problem (would need to be very controlled and expensive), specially when people wire their houses for large distances and find out that poor cable quality kills their playback (actually they don't find out, they just complain and start returning equipment). Just because knowledgeable people can use technologies close to their limits, doesn't mean that these are commercially viable for the industry.
Pavel Houda is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > 3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery