DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/3d-stereoscopic-production-delivery/)
-   -   Any experience with these 3D System (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/3d-stereoscopic-production-delivery/500045-any-experience-these-3d-system.html)

Maheel Perera August 26th, 2011 11:53 PM

Any experience with these 3D System

Hi,

Has any one experience with products from 3D Magic for 3D projection?

They have Shutter glasses, Emiters etc at relatively low prices.

Thanks.

Maheel Perera August 29th, 2011 08:51 PM

Re: Any experience with these 3D System

It is Interesting. After 83 views NO one seems to know about a company that sells many accessories for S3D projection.

Are you guys just ignore this company.?

Tony Asch August 30th, 2011 09:01 AM

3D Magic (aka 3DTV) is a storefront operated by Michael Starks, one of the original players in 3D video. Michael was involved in the founding of Stereographics, until a quite acrimonious falling out with them over business issues. He characterizes himself as an inventor, consultant, pundit, and merchant in all things relating to 3D video. In my contacts with him, he is quite knowledgeable and inventive, although sometimes overly opinionated (but he has paid his dues over 30+ years, and is thus entitled.)

It has been about 15 years since I've purchased from him, but at the time I had no problems and the products were as advertised. I believe that Michael has fairly deep supplier connections in Asia, particularly Japan and China. Given your location, I suggest you contact him before ordering in order to understand what items are actually in stock and how he proposes export/import/shipping. Inasmuch as Michael is involved in many different 3D activities, you can also judge whether his attention to the 3D Magic storefront suits your needs.

Doubtless other forum members are acquainted with Michael, but since you've really asked about an individual who's been on the scene for a very long while, not a big company, providing a merchant/product review is difficult. My experience is that his non-custom products are manufactured in Asia (but not specifically for him alone), are of more than adequate quality, are generally a decent value, and function as described (although sometimes you need to read the descriptions carefully.)

YMMV

Giroud Francois August 30th, 2011 11:30 AM

panasonic and optoma just released their new 3D full HD projectors (previous model were limited in resolution) for about $1500.
They uses shuuter lcd glasses but at that price you can probably afford a dozen of pair before breaking the budget.
unfortunately , the optoma has only 3D hdmi input, so you will no be able to connect a PC through VGA or DVI for 3D.

Maheel Perera August 31st, 2011 05:37 AM

Thanks for the replies.

I went through Michael Starks's biography at his site and wondered why I did not come across his name at many S3D sites. Thanks Tony.

Giroud, Thanks for the info.

Maheel Perera August 31st, 2011 06:23 AM

Giroud,

Are you referring to the Panasonic PT-AE7000U? It is advertised as US$ $3,499 MSRP.

Giroud Francois August 31st, 2011 09:30 AM

and yes, he panasonic seems highly priced versus the optoma one.

Panasonic PT-AT5000 3D projector

Charles W. Hull August 31st, 2011 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giroud Francois (Post 1678888)

The Optoma HD33 looks very interesting - I have a home theater with a 2D projector; changing to the HD33 could be a very easy way for me to get 3D on a big screen. It seems to use active glasses, so screen polarization would not be an issue.

I'm very familiar and comfortable with Optoma products; I've worked with them quite a bit. Optoma is actually the OEM projector supplier for quite a few of the other companies that sell projectors.

Giroud Francois September 1st, 2011 09:21 AM

i got 2 optoma EP1080 (or TX1080 in USA) full HD at 3500 lumens and they are really great (especially stacked to give 7000 lumens).
the problem with these 3d Projector is they are too dark (unless you project in a dark room) and glasses still cost a lot for more than a bunch of it.
On the other hand, the polarized screen is also a pain to set up, but then you can choose almost any DLP projector you want and glasses cost almost nothing (about $2 each).