DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/3d-stereoscopic-production-delivery/)
-   -   1280x768 Autostereo 3D viewer (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/3d-stereoscopic-production-delivery/500290-1280x768-autostereo-3d-viewer.html)

Neil Richards September 3rd, 2011 10:00 AM

1280x768 Autostereo 3D viewer

Hi All,

Sorry if someone else has posted this but I took delivery of quite a neat little glasses-free viewer a couple of weeks ago - 8" screen, 1280x768 resolution, 4GB memory, SD card, USB, blu-ray & side-by-side 3D support - which you can buy online here:

8" LED Glasses-Free 3D Digital Multimedia Player Photo Frame (4GB) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

All yours for about US$140 and free delivery which took just over a week to the UK.

Works well so far, I'm using it for show-and-tell and showreel demo use - seems to impress people more than my lovingly crafted Full HD demos on a 50" LCD :D Pity it doesn't have an HDMI input for live use - when is someone going to do one of those at a reasonable price??

No doubt there will be more such products and they will get better, but this is pretty good at this price. My thanks to Rob Black, stereographer in Liverpool, who made me aware of it.

Cheers

Neil

Jesse Blanchard September 7th, 2011 09:48 AM

Re: 1280x768 Autostereo 3D viewer

I just ordered one based on your recommendation. Looking forward to having a moblie, glasses-free way to show my films. Thanks!

Prech Marton September 8th, 2011 01:37 AM

Interesting.
Would be good to use this as a 3D scene preview of my sidebyside cameras at field.
But this don't have any video input, right? :(

Steve LaPierre September 9th, 2011 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prech Marton (Post 1680589)
Interesting.
Would be good to use this as a 3D scene preview of my sidebyside cameras at field.
But this don't have any video input, right? :(

Could the OTG port be used for this purpose? I am not really familiar with the OTG interface but since it is a USB port it might have the potential to do what you are looking for if you can stream your video out of a laptop.

Neil Richards September 10th, 2011 04:06 AM

No it doesn't have an HDMI or other video input, sadly.

Really frustrating this, I don't know why no-one provides one, such an obvious interface and it widens the applications enormously.

The USB OTG is simply for file transfer, just looks like a USB drive when you plug it in. No idea how you might stream video into it, highly unlikely in my opinion.

It's not perfect and struggles a bit with big 1080p videos (best generate 720p for use on the viewer) but I can tell you it's created a heck of a stir amongst people I've shown it to - people not connected to video production. I've got people who've not thought about 3D at all thinking of using it as a show and tell for *their* business, which hopefully may mean some commercial 3D work for me :D

Pavel Houda October 16th, 2011 12:34 AM

Mine came with 8GB for some reason. It is cute, but it would take some major surgery to make it play streams. It does allow code updating, so there is some hope... Doesn't look bad, it is very position sensitive. Must be parallax barrier. Lenticular would be better.

This website: http://pic3d.net/ , is selling LENTICULAR sheets of various sizes. I looked at iPad2 version, about $50 in Japan, but they sell various sizes of the film, so one could theoretically turn many different displays or notebooks into glasses-free 3D output devices. Lenticular should be much better than the parallax barrier of the above viewer. The parallax barrier system is way too sensitive with respect to the respective head/display positions and distances, and will be much more size limited.

Pavel Houda October 16th, 2011 02:33 PM

Pic3D also have a 3D player that can be had at the iTunes Store. Search there for Pic3D-Player.

Pedro Ferrando October 26th, 2011 02:20 AM

I buyed one (also with 8G) and I´m VERY happy with it. Thank you very much for your post Neil!

Jesse Blanchard February 24th, 2012 06:43 PM

I'm about to buy a second Gadmei 3D viewer. But thought I'd check to see if anyone has used a different autostereo viewer that they are happy with. Anyone get good results with Pic3D lenticular screens on an ipad or similar?

Matt Faw April 5th, 2012 12:32 PM

I wanted to follow up on this thread.

I bought one of the autostereoscopic viewers from Deal Extreme. Unfortunately, it took about 5 weeks for them to ship it to me, but the viewer looks great. It's 1920X1080, nice depth, and it's not hard to find the right viewing angle.

The only problem is that the sync is way off. I was hoping to use it at the upcoming consciousness conference, to show my 3D Brain Doc short to potential interviewees, but I lose all the connection between the interview and b-roll. :(

Has anyone run into this problem, and if so, how did you fix it? I'm playing a SbS .mp4, at full HD size, off of a class 10 SD card. There's nothing in the instruction manual about sync.

It is a non-brand brand, just says: 8" Glasses-Free 3D HD Media Player.

Jesse Blanchard April 5th, 2012 01:41 PM

It's too high a data rate for the player to process. Knock your footage down to 1280 by 720 and try again. Should work.

Matt Faw April 5th, 2012 02:00 PM

Thanks, Jesse.

I actually found a work-around, which is that a SbS .mp4 that was rendered (out of Vegas) via XDCAM (even though still 1920X1080), plays back fine on the viewer, in sync.