DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/3d-stereoscopic-production-delivery/)
-   -   JVC GY-HMZ1U ProHD 3D Camcorder (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/3d-stereoscopic-production-delivery/501372-jvc-gy-hmz1u-prohd-3d-camcorder.html)

Joseph Clark December 30th, 2011 10:26 PM

Re: JVC GY-HMZ1U ProHD 3D Camcorder

BTW, JVC owners can simply copy these files onto the appropriate folder of their camcorder formatted memory cards and watch them in 3D on the LCD or through the HDMI output of the camera. Just make sure the card doesn't have a file named the same as either of these, or it will overwrite it. Be careful, though, if mixing files that are 24p with files like this that are 60i. There could be issues there I'm not aware of, since I can't shoot at 24p with the TD1. It's an easy way to check out raw mp4 files from other JVC users.

Wolfgang Schmid January 1st, 2012 11:51 AM

I think a lot of TD1 users would like to use that "3D to L/R converter" - but does somebody know if JVC will make that available for TD1 users too? Would be great.

Joseph Clark January 1st, 2012 12:23 PM

Hi, Wolfgang. Didn't know you were over here. :)

I tried the utility and it doesn't work for TD1 files. It says the files were recorded with a "non-compliant device." Sounds like a marketing decision, to me, to differentiate the TD1 from the HMZ1. It's hard to imagine that the files themselves are different.

Wolfgang Schmid January 1st, 2012 01:08 PM

Hi Joe,

from time to time I am here too. Not on a regulary base really.

That is a pitty - and I do not really understand why this utility is not available for TD1 user too. Would have improved the situation for TD1 user. But maybe JVC does not expect a lot of additional TD1 users.... and maybe there are some licensing costs for that utility.

Well, then there are only tools like the PD10 and the upcoming Edius 3D available for JVC TD1 user.

Joseph Clark January 1st, 2012 01:16 PM

As far as I'm concerned (for right now anyway) Edius is the best tool for TD1 users. I'm appreciating it more and more. I really haven't scratched the surface of the 3D adjustment tools, yet, but they appear to be first rate. If they include the ability to burn to 3D Blu-ray in the final release, it will be an all in one solution The motion results are the best I've ever seen for my TD1 footage (for 60i to 24p conversion).

Wolfgang Schmid January 1st, 2012 03:32 PM

Well, in terms of the 3D plugin I think both Vegas and Edius are similar - but you are right: without an import possibility for the JVC files Vegas is no solution for TD1 and HMZ1U user. In terms of encoder quality that is hard to charge yet... but I am sure that Edius is a great premium product, has a rocket stability. Given the acutal issues with Vegas that is more important then ever. I hope that Vegas will improve stability again - and then we end up with two good 3D editors hopefully in the end.

Saturnin Kondratiew January 1st, 2012 08:33 PM

let me re-phrase what i meant in the other reply.

Yes i can play back the MVC files on 3D tv's if the camera is plugged in - yes.

What i need to be able to do is make a file format for these new 3D tvs that the user can take the file that he downloads, puts it on a USB stick/drive and plugs it into their 3Dtv and is able to play it back.

right now there is no such option to my knowledge that supports the native MVC file. If i can covert that MVC to the SIDEbySIDE, then that will play on 3Dtv's via usb stick/hard drive.

all i want to be able to do is deliver a 3D file to a 3D tv without too much degragation in the picture as of now this is the hurdle that i'm trying to jump over.

i will look into some of the options that you guys are suggesting, now that the holidays/new year celebrations are done

Wolfgang Schmid January 1st, 2012 11:29 PM

At the moment, such an option does not exist. At least as far as I know. Even the new hardwareplayer with the latest chips will not play back native mvc files up to now. So without any conversion that will not work yet. The format mvc is so new, that even the most advanced nles have learned to read it recently only.

Saturnin Kondratiew January 2nd, 2012 12:26 PM

^^ yes that's my issue, and the work around to transfer to SIDEbySIDE is still very wonky, but there are some really good hints in these threads which i will look into. I'll keep everyone posted on my findings.

cheers

Prech Marton January 3rd, 2012 02:48 PM

Thanks all of you for the samples.
To me the sharpness is acceptable when outside.
But Chad's inside christmas sample is really horrible, not just
noisy, i see also strange smears. Even a 3 years old cam can do
better in this situation. I cannot believe to my eyes, when i read
comments like this at bhphotovideo:
"it's very good in low light and i see no grain."
"The night performace / low light performance in video mode is excellent."
"The deciding factors for buying this 3D Camcorder were:
1. Automatic paralex correction.
2. Low light performance at wide f1.2 lens.
Footage taken with this camcorder was better than what she saw with her naked eyes"

These people don't write about the JVC, sure :O

Sony TD10 is also so noisy in lowlight?

This cam is mainly for outside.
And for close objects, because the 3-4cm interaxial.
With the extender (is it really 1kg??) we can go to 14cm, this is
good from 5m to infinity. But what about the normal interocular
distance (6-7cm) for recording the most natural views? Impossible
with this cam.
Now i use 2 cameras side by side, so i can easily set 6cm, and
i love the natural depth. But i often need smaller interaxial for close
objects. So i think this cam will not replace my currennt setup, just
complement.

When creating L-R files with the JVC utility, both stream will be
recompressed or only the right?
What about the dynamic range? Which is better jvc or sony?
Which has slower zoom speeds?

thanks!

David M. Cole January 4th, 2012 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prech Marton (Post 1707198)
....Sony TD10 is also so noisy in lowlight?

The Sony HXR-NX3D1 IS very noisy in low light! It's the camera's Achilles heel... that and no manual white balance in 3D.

Saturnin Kondratiew January 4th, 2012 12:53 PM

seems like NO MANUAL WHITE BALANCE is not only the sonys problem but also the JVC TD1 EVERIO. There is a white balance options but its limited because when you turn on this one auto focus setting.. the setting actually on the fly corrects the WB as you hit your focus points. IT is such a frustrating function and i'm quite surprised the JVC ppl didnt think to have a OFF button for it.

Chad Dyle January 14th, 2012 12:44 PM

My kids are having a combined birthday party tomorrow with slides and bouncy castles. I just shot some footage of my son running around the front yard to make sure I had the settings right. I decided to leave it in full auto to see how it looked. After splitting/reviewing in FCP, it isn't grainy, but there just isn't a sharpness that I see with some of my older video cameras. Maybe I should just be happy that it records 3D in certain situations and deal with it. I'll try to post some stuff up this week. I also want to shoot something in 3D and then again in 2D to see if I can see a quality difference.

-Chad

Prech Marton January 14th, 2012 01:25 PM

Saturnin: please explain more this problem (with another words), i don't understand it.

Chad Dyle January 20th, 2012 09:12 AM

I'm going to be putting my JVC GY-HMZ1U up for sale. We are getting into the busy season in a few weeks and I just don't have the time to learn new hardware/software at this point. I was debating putting it up on here or Ebay.

-Chad