DXG releases new $300 3D camcorder at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > 3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery

3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery
Discuss 3D (stereoscopic video) acquisition, post and delivery.

Old October 24th, 2011, 03:31 PM   #1
Wrangler

DXG releases new $300 3D camcorder

DXG-5F9V 1080p 3D and 2D HD Camcorder - DXG 3D - Products

It shoots 1080 at 30 fps (no clarification on whether that is 30p or 60i) or 720p60. There is no indication in the specs of whether MVC or simple side by side is used to record the 3D.

I don't have one of these but would love to know more. I think something like this would be easier to use than GoPro for extreme sport stuff.
Old June 21st, 2012, 11:31 AM   #2
New Boot

Re: DXG releases new $300 3D camcorder

I'm surprised no one ever responded to your post. I have a DXG 5F9V and I love it. It is *not* super high quality but it's perfect for learning how to compose 3D shots. The resulting SBS is not the most Mac-friendly format but the footage can be transcoded quickly on a Mac with Aimersoft's Total Media Convertor or using the provided software on a PC. After that, the SBS format works great with your excellent Stereo 3d Toolbox LE.

The company has a pretty low profile and their website is underwhelming BUT their tech support via email is excellent. I just got the latest firmware update that now has three convergence settings and a few other improvements. I also found out that the camera can transmit uncompressed video via HDMI (like a web-cam mode). They will be using 20 of these at the London Games for non-critical feeds (I assume crowd ambience, that sort of thing).

I think it would be great to get a half dozen of these cameras and offer an Intro to Stereoscopic 3D course. I'm also hoping to set two up for 3D video conferencing on internet enabled TVs

Here's a link to some video I shot a couple of weeks ago at an art show:

This is hand held and totally unedited. I think the audio quality is quite good considering it's just the onboard mic. You can hear the violin and also the people talking in the booth. The whites are quite blown out but everything was the auto setting and it was a very bright. This is also the very first time I shot with the camera so some of the problems are certainly down to me.
Allynn Wilkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2012, 09:01 PM   #3
New Boot

Intersting!!

How does the quality compare to the bloggie3D from Sony? How about low light performance?
Roger Dass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2012, 07:41 AM   #4
New Boot

I don't know about the Bloggie. I think the DXG has a better form factor and it feels solid. Of course, I'm not overly fond of little cameras like the Bloggie. I want to know I'm holding something!

Overall the DXG is better in mid to low light than bright light. In the clip, Lenny (violinist) was standing under a tent. I was quite concerned that he was in too much shadow (looked bad on the view finder) but he is well lit in the final clip. In other tests shooting in a cemetery at mid-day the best footage was shot in the shade. The full sun stuff was very blown-out.

I think the DXG would be a good beginners camera to learn how to frame shots and what works and what doesn't in 3D. You ain't gonna shoot the next Avatar with it but you *will* learn a lot of basic principles that will transfer to higher level cameras.
Allynn Wilkinson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > 3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery