A Panasonic HDC-Z10000 to play with - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > 3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery
Discuss 3D (stereoscopic video) acquisition, post and delivery.

Old March 25th, 2012, 04:00 PM   #16
Trustee

"Real", original Z10k footage on the Vimeo site

"That is not real Z10K footage, but was converted too! For example to anaglyphic material. Sorry to say so but youtube or vimeo are not usefull to assess original footage really."

Wolfgang, I am surprised you do not know better! "real" Z10k footage is available from the Vimeo site.

I am sorry to say, but you do not understand. I apologize for not being clear (actually it is very clearly said the Youtube video is converted), but you also do not evidently understand what *Vimeo* offers:

1. Yes, Youtube converts. But whether you see it in anaglyph or sbs or cross-eyed or horizontal interleaved is your choice not Youtube's. I posted to Youtube so people could at least see in 3D, in the method of their choice.

2. But, as I said, you can download the *original* clip from the Vimeo site. It is there to download if you go to the site. Vimeo converts for *streaming.* But as a Plus member, the *original* video I post is supposed to be made available for downloading. It is not converted; it is the original mts file, of 824.1MB. Did you go to the site and look? I checked, and it is there and it is the original MVC file with both embedded views.

Unlike the sites you place your clips on, there are no misleading and annoying ad clicks or popups on the Vimeo site. I pay good money each year to Vimeo so people can download original clips I upload easily and without danger.

You can still edit your reply so viewers are not confused by your incorrect statements, and you can avoid embarrassment. I will try to make my post clearer. Ok? Then download the original mvc video, if you want, and I am sure we will benefit from your comments.

Last edited by Mark Rosenzweig; March 25th, 2012 at 04:37 PM.
Mark Rosenzweig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2012, 04:23 PM   #17
Major Player

Re: A Panasonic HDC-Z10000 to play with

A tripod would help too.

Paul :-)
Old March 26th, 2012, 04:59 AM   #18
Regular Crew

And I am surprised that you do not know that you have to login to download a file. So a download is not possible without an account, and that requires at least that you register with an email adress. Even if you pay good money for their service.

Well, my downloads need no registration - at least. But that is not important really.

Beside that is the question how the mvc file was edited - since I still say that an assessment would be possible with native footage only. But maybe that is fine?

Wolfgang
http://videotreffpunkt.com
http://www.vegasvideo.de/forum

Last edited by Wolfgang Schmid; March 26th, 2012 at 07:38 AM.
Wolfgang Schmid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2012, 09:45 AM   #19
Trustee

1. Yes, I know you have to register. Most people in this forum and over at avs forum know about Vimeo. They post there and have downloaded videos from the site. I agree one can be wary of registering, but before I paid I had registered and never had any e-mails from Vimeo. It is a well-respected site. If you register, you can also upload your own videos for free and the originals will be available for a week for people to download. No pop-ups, link traps or anything untoward.

2. As I have directly responded to you in the past, HD Writer and PMB, the software provided with Panasonic and Sony cameras respectively, allow merging and trimming without recompression - smart rendering. The file I uploaded has had no conversion whatsoever - it is essentially trimmed and joined original clips. While Vegas Pro, your beloved software (I use it too), does not do smart rendering, these programs do. You can check with mediainfo to see that the file has exactly the same specs as any individual clip.

The point is to show what the camera produces (with a particular scene file) in real use, without any changes in post.
Mark Rosenzweig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2012, 01:45 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Well, then it should be nice for that forum. For my part, I prefer to stay without a Vimeo account - but I know the footage of the Z10K quite well. Have fun with it.

Wolfgang
http://videotreffpunkt.com
http://www.vegasvideo.de/forum
Wolfgang Schmid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2012, 09:05 AM   #21
Regular Crew

I just returned from a tiger shark shoot with a Z10K, Sony NX3D1 and a bunch of GoPro Hero1s and 2s. The Panny Z10K, with manual white balance outperformed the others by light years. The image is superior in every way. It resolves a quality image from MUCH further away than the Sony.

If you're in the market for an underwater 3D camcorder, I think the Z10K is the goto cam.

By the way, apparently GoPros on the end of a pole look like bait to tiger sharks :-)

Last edited by David M. Cole; April 6th, 2012 at 09:41 AM.
David M. Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2012, 08:17 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Which underwater housing did you use for it David?

I've just got details of this one specifically for the Z10000 although it's not quite available yet at least in the UK: ewa-marine VPZ1

Neil
Neil Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2012, 09:54 AM   #23
Regular Crew

I used a housing from Aquavideo (AquaVideo Underwater Video Camcorder Housings for Scuba, Commercial Diving and Broadcast Television. Video Camera Cases for Underwater Photography). They have housings for the Sony HXR-NX3D1 as well. As I'm almost always deeper than 30 feet, the bag-style housing won't work for me... and, it's handy to have something solid between me and the sharks :-)
Old April 18th, 2012, 01:54 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Thanks for that - nice piece of kit and not overly expensive for a non-bag housing.

I'm not a diver, but would like to do some on-boat shots and shallow water stuff.
Old April 21st, 2012, 12:47 AM   #25
Trustee

Neil,
I've also had a chance to play with the Z10000 and aside from its numerous quirks ( mainly menu buttons and options that are way to easy to hit accidently) I liked it a great deal and because of the smaller IA thought it was the first camcorder 3D camera I could really use on a documentary. As I can't afford 28,000 for the new Sony and the Nex camera was a toy I'm thinking of buying.

I didn't get to look at the footage much in post though and I'm wondering how well you think it holds up in quality next to the 3DA1. Also how have you been doing with the workflow?
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2012, 01:13 PM   #26
Regular Crew

I'll receive new Cyclopital3D wide-angle adapters for my Z10Ks on Wed! Shooting a 3D kids dolphin TV show in Cozumel the following week. I'm excited to get these underwater. The expanded FOV (78 degrees) will REALLY help!!!!

I'll report back w/ some clips.

David Cole
www.beampath3d.com
Old August 24th, 2012, 08:58 AM   #27
New Boot

I have been playing with these cameras for a while (3D that is). I haven't tried this camera just yet but am looking to give it a try. Looks promising. Has anyone used it for weddings?

Saturn Entertainment Studios Wedding Videography & Commercial Video Production Services
Adam Deierling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2012, 12:22 PM   #28
Regular Crew

Crikey, this is an old thread forgot all about it.

Actually, by a strange coincidence, I did shoot a wedding with my Z10000 about two weeks ago, first time ever and done as a favour as it's not part of my business. I used it locked off on a tripod for the ceremony and then on a Glidecam 4000 for wandering around amongst the guests. I actually really enjoyed it and think its an ideal camera for doing his type of shooting in 3D. The images came out nicely (the sun shone at least) and my friend doing the edit is very pleased with the 3D we got out of it. Don't know what the bride and groom think of it yet though.

Leonard: sorry for being rude and not replying to your post. I suspect we've covered this elsewhere but I think the image quality of the 3DA1 is better than the Z10k, at least I like the images better as they seem crisper and more detailed, but against this you have to balance the wider angle lens and narrower IA on the Z10k which makes it a more useful all-rounder from a 3D point of view. I'm still trying to find the best way to match the two, though, not quite got them to blend completely in post yet. As far as workflow is concerned do all the Z10k work in Edius, running Wn7 under Parallels on a Mac, but I think I've bored everyone with that enough elsewhere.

David: how are you getting on with the Cyclopital adapters? Any comments, or video we can look at?

Cheers

Neil
Old August 24th, 2012, 04:33 PM   #29
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Richards View Post
David: how are you getting on with the Cyclopital adapters? Any comments, or video we can look at?
I'm LOVING the adapters. I initially bought them for UW shooting (where they are absolutely indispensable), but, now shoot the majority of the topside stuff with them on as well. One very minor caveat is that you need to disable the image stabilizer to avoid possible vignetting on extreme movement.

I'll post some tiger shark footage this weekend.
Old August 25th, 2012, 08:17 AM   #30
Regular Crew

Thanks David - funny, I just saw your post on CML about it as well.

Can you post some pics of the adapter fitted on the Z10k? Just wondered what it looked like. What do you do for ND filters etc once it's fitted, any solutions?

Thanks

Neil
Neil Richards is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > 3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery