Panasonic 3DA1 vs Sony NX3D1 resolution tests at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > 3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery

3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery
Discuss 3D (stereoscopic video) acquisition, post and delivery.

Old February 20th, 2012, 03:21 PM   #1
Major Player

Panasonic 3DA1 vs Sony NX3D1 resolution tests

I've done resolution tests of the Sony NX3D1 (list $3000) vs Panasonic 3DA1 (list $21,000)

Viewing the pictures it is clear that the 3DA1 holds resolution up to and over the 800 line area of the DSC trumpets. The NX3D1 starts to crap out at about 640 lines. However on the Sony the differences between the Left full resolution vs Right delta resolution when resolved are insignificant.

Just thought it might be of some interest here.
Attached Thumbnails
Panasonic 3DA1 vs Sony NX3D1 resolution tests-3da1-rez.jpg   Panasonic 3DA1 vs Sony NX3D1 resolution tests-nx3d1-rez.jpg  

Bruce Schultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2012, 07:08 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Panasonic 3DA1 vs Sony NX3D1 resolution tests

Yes, very useful. Thanks for putting this up Bruce. Hopefully someone with a Z10k will be able to do a similar test.
Jim Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2012, 04:49 PM   #3
Major Player

You are not the first person to mention the Z10K in this regard. There is one floating around my area & I'm trying to get my hands on it for a day to do a similar resolution test.

Stay tuned. . .
Old March 1st, 2012, 12:14 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Bruce, interesting test, and looking forward to seeing the Z10000 results.

If I was any closer I'd lend you mine, or you could pop over here and I'll buy you a pint while you're setting up :)
Neil Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2012, 11:17 AM   #5
Major Player

Neil, you can do the tests, it's simple. Borrow/rent/buy a DSC chart with resolution trumpets and shoot in progressive to avoid interlacing artifacts. I shot a little zoomed in to get to the chip's sweet spot. Then pull a frame into Photoshop and output to an uncompressed format like TIFF.

I'd be more than interested in seeing the Z10K resolution results, and much as I'd love to share a pint (or two) it's a bit too far for a test this simple.
Old March 3rd, 2012, 02:59 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Schultz View Post
Viewing the pictures...
I think DVINFO may have rescaled your original images. The Sony image is 2080x1386 and the Panasonic image is 2727x1497. What were the sizes of the images you uploaded?
Eric Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2012, 06:29 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Schultz View Post
Neil, you can do the tests, it's simple. Borrow/rent/buy a DSC chart with resolution trumpets and shoot in progressive to avoid interlacing artifacts
Bruce, for the price of a DSC chart over here I could: book a plane ticket, fly over to you, bring the Z10k, stay in some swanky hotel, buy you, me, and any of your friends as much beer as you want, shoot some test pictures using your chart, and then fly back again. And with the change...

Well, I exaggerate a bit but I don't have one (although I should) so I'm looking around to see if anyone has one locally. Happy to shoot the test if I can get hold of a chart - is it the 28R you have there?
Old March 8th, 2012, 08:40 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Hi Bruce, thanks for posting the tests.

I'm curious about the color difference between the two. Is that an artifact of the test, or are they really that far apart, at the same white balance?
Matt Faw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2012, 01:59 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Still trying to source a DSC chart for a Z10k test over here, no luck at my local hire company so have asked at the BBC if they can help out - will let you know.
Old March 13th, 2012, 06:54 PM   #10
Major Player

I was able to shoot a resolution chart last weekend with a Z10K and am quite surprised at how well it performed. I'll post the location to view within a few days for those and will have them lined up next to a 3DA1 and NX3D1 for comparison.
Old March 14th, 2012, 09:05 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Well done Bruce, look forward to seeing the results.

I've not succeeded in getting a DSC Labs chart yet so will be good to see what you found.

Last edited by Neil Richards; March 15th, 2012 at 04:43 AM.
Old March 18th, 2012, 10:32 AM   #12
Major Player

try using this
ISO 12233 Test Chart
I printed one on my color printer on 8 x 10 photo paper and it held resolution for shooting. The PDF shows a 300 dpi resolution in Photoshop.

Yes, the discrepancy in picture size is my fault because I zoomed in to each chart to get to the resolution trumpets. I double checked that it was still accurate after the zoom and it was because it was a very slight amount of zoom. On the color balance, they were taken under different circumstances and to be fair, this was a resolution test, not a colorimetric test so I didn't take too much care on the color balance.

I'd be curious to get input as to what the general resolution of each camera appears to be by the followers of this thread.

Z10K resolution test will get posted this week.
Old June 23rd, 2014, 03:12 AM   #13
Major Player

Just wondering if you ever did the z10k resolution test

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > 3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery