Interesting presentation at B&H (NYC) on 3/14 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > 3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery
Discuss 3D (stereoscopic video) acquisition, post and delivery.

Old February 28th, 2012, 01:18 PM   #1
Major Player

Interesting presentation at B&H (NYC) on 3/14

Looks like a good talk. They'll be covering S3D macro, some of the new cameras & lenses coming out & more:

3D Photography & Video Techniques: How to Achieve the Best Results With the Right Equipment
Old March 8th, 2012, 08:45 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Interesting presentation at B&H (NYC) on 3/14

Sounds very interesting! I wish I could make it.

I'm hoping to shoot XCUs of ants, later this year, for a project I'm prepping. I'm wondering if anyone can point me to resources about extreme stereo macro shooting.
Matt Faw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2012, 04:25 PM   #3
Major Player

Very knowledgeable folks at www.photomacrography.net...Front Page I'd ask around there.
Jim Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2012, 08:03 AM   #4
Regular Crew

The Cyclopital makes a closeup adapter for the JVC- (Ken Burgess of Cyclopital is one of the speakers on Wed.)
Probably putting a single close-up lens in front of other 3D cameras can work too-
Carlton Bright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2012, 07:12 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Michael View Post
Very knowledgeable folks at www.photomacrography.net...Front Page I'd ask around there.
Thanks, Jim, I'll check it out!
Old March 14th, 2012, 07:19 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlton Bright View Post
The Cyclopital makes a closeup adapter for the JVC- (Ken Burgess of Cyclopital is one of the speakers on Wed.)
Probably putting a single close-up lens in front of other 3D cameras can work too-
Yeah, interesting. I notice they have one for the TD-10, which I have. It's $200, which is just the adapter. I'm not quite sure which CU lens it's supposed to adapt to; if it's a spherical one, wouldn't the left and right images be distorted from each other (just speculating)?

In film terms, I started thinking of the Frasier lens, for shooting CUs of ants. Two Frasier lenses, through a (teeny-tiny) mirror rig?

But I also notice that there are many stereoscopic microscopes available, some of them with video output. I wonder if anyone has used one of those for shooting insects up close? I should add, that I'm also hoping to shoot neurons, at some point.

Last edited by Matt Faw; March 14th, 2012 at 07:53 PM.
Old March 15th, 2012, 04:56 AM   #7
Major Player

Ran across this lately for macro https://secure.flickr.com/photos/fot...in/photostream
Jim Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2012, 10:59 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Michael View Post
Nice rig. That page had a link, which led me to this one:
3D Macrophotography with a BeamSplitter

This is an interesting concept, which I think could make the task simpler for field work. Rather than use two cameras, take a page from the Aiptek book, and use only one camera, with a close-up stereoscopic lens, which squeezes left and right views onto the same chip. As long as the chip is DSLR-sized (or larger), then there can still be decent resolution, with a tiny lens separation, and only one camera to squeeze into the macro-sized spots.

Since I'd prefer to shoot ants in the hill, rather than in a studio, having a small, manageable rig should be worth losing some resolution.
Matt Faw is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > 3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery