GH1/2 3D Controller - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > 3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery
Discuss 3D (stereoscopic video) acquisition, post and delivery.

Old May 1st, 2012, 06:27 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: GH1/2 3D Controller

David, any kind of enclosure planned for that? or anything recommended?
Neil Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2012, 10:53 AM   #17
Regular Crew

I've now tested the controller and it works extremely well! I've asked Applied Logic for a FAQ section in the user's guide and a VERY minor change to the firmware to increase the shutter close time during time-lapse operation. Neither should hold up delivery at all.

I'm guessing they'll start shipping next week.

RE: Enclosure - they don't have one sourced at the moment, but are considering.

David Cole
www.beampath3d.com

Last edited by David M. Cole; May 4th, 2012 at 02:07 PM.
David M. Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 04:32 PM   #18
Regular Crew

The controller is now shipping: Panasonic GH1/GH2 Dual Camera Controller
Old November 18th, 2012, 09:23 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Applied Logic has updated the GH1/2 Sync controller. Among other things, it has a case now!

Panasonic GH1/GH2 Dual Camera Controller
Old November 21st, 2012, 11:17 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Hey David,

I'm very interested in this as a possible lower cost solution for a 2-camera rig for me. Right now, I'm practicing with two unsunc cheap HD cameras, but my current plan is to save up for two Sony FS-700s. Supposedly, Sony is going to release a firmware update for the camera, which will allow them to output 4K resolution to recorders, which may make them a poor man's Red. Plus, the camera shoots at bursts up to 240fps at HD resolution, and it is very slim, so I think it would make an ideal side-by-side 3D camera.

That said, I won't be able to afford the $25G or so it would take to put a rig together, for some time now. So if there are high bitrate outputs from large size sensors, such as with the hacked GH2, that might be a good in-between system.

I'm curious about a few things, such as: does the shallow focus of the larger sensor work against the 3D? Cuz maybe it'd be better to get a 3-chip camera, with a deeper DOF, so the bokeh isn't messing with the stereo. And: since the GH3 just came out with time code, is that enough of an improvement for sync, or does the controller you're talking about handle that? I imagine the GH2s will only get cheaper in the coming months since the GH3 was recently released.

Also, I imagine that I'd want to shoot with hacked GH2s, to get the sharper resolution and higher bitrates. However, that also seems like it opens one up to the risk of moire. Do you find a problem with that, in 3D?

Thanks!
Matt Faw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2012, 11:17 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Faw View Post
...does the shallow focus of the larger sensor work against the 3D?
It's not that large of a sensor. If you stop-down a fast lens with plenty of light, you'll have all the depth of field you might want. I DO need to note here that you have to use manual lenses for 3D. I use a M4/3 to Nikon adapter and Nikon-mount lenses.

Quote:
... since the GH3 just came out with time code...
Time code is not gonna get you sensor sync. You still need a sync controller.

Quote:
... imagine that I'd want to shoot with hacked GH2s
Absolutely!!! The results from the hacks are mind-blowing. You'll find one (or more) for every occasion. I don't find moire to be a problem at all, but, I shoot with the internal sharpening dialed all the way back and denoise and sharpen a bit in post with Neat Video.
Old December 1st, 2012, 08:39 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Great, well done David, glad it's in a case now.

Any reason why it wouldn't work with a couple of GH3's?
Neil Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2012, 11:17 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Wish I could take credit for the controller... I just shared a basic schematic with Applied Logic and begged them to produce it. They made it work and put it into production.

The GH3 appears to have the same shutter control pin-outs as the GH2... so GH3 should work fine. I'll know soon, as I have a couple of GH3s on order.
Old April 18th, 2013, 04:54 AM   #24
Regular Crew

Quote:
does the shallow focus of the larger sensor work against the 3D?
large dof mean that background seems equal on both eyes, then mean viewer see that come back to screen and is not far from viewer. also in avatar there is this error, in initial shot, when a drop of water come close to viewer, but due the dof instead to be near viewer stay attacced to screen.

disparity is the basic rule of stereoscopic viewing. all is the same on both eyes is on screen.
Carlo Macchiavello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2013, 12:37 AM   #25
Regular Crew

Do you see the need to test different GH3 units to come up with a pair that works fine? For other lanc controllers and Sony cameres people organize such kind of "pairing" actiions - where they test different units in all possible combinations to end up with pairs of units that tend to stay in sync in the best possible way.

Or is the controller able to keep two GH3 units in sync? (for lanc and Sony that was not possible)

Second question: I am a little bit confused about the power supply. Is that done from the controller to the two cameras? And what kind of power supply is required here? Can a battery used for that? Or must it be the "Powered from camera’s DC adapter" only?

Wolfgang
http://videotreffpunkt.com
http://www.vegasvideo.de/forum

Last edited by Wolfgang Schmid; April 20th, 2013 at 07:44 AM.
Wolfgang Schmid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2013, 04:26 PM   #26
Regular Crew

>> Do you see the need to test different GH3 units to come up with a pair that works fine?

Unknown. For the GH1s and 2s, I've always had success with buying cameras from the same production lot (consecutive or closely adjacent serial numbers). I'd say that is always good advice for matching cameras and lenses. Even my REDs are consecutive serial numbers (for good measure).

>> Or is the controller able to keep two GH3 units in sync?

NO. The controller can measure the drift, but cannot correct it.

>> ...power supply

Single power source is fed to controller and it distributes to the cameras. It can be camera's AC adapter OR battery. I use 9.6V, 2000mAh RC car batteries - one battery usually lasts me a day of shooting.
Old April 21st, 2013, 02:17 AM   #27
Regular Crew

Sure, consecutive or closely adjacent serial numbers are always a good idea for s3D.

I do not know much about a Red - but is there no genlock available? I am a bloody Prosumer only! :)

And I think the anwser to the question, if the controller can make a synchronsiation, will be know - since the controller measures only the sync drift. That seems to be similar to other lanc controller like the ste-fra lance.

For the power supply, maybe a powerbank like that

http://www.amazon.com/XTPower-10000m...rbank+MP-10000

would do a good job?

Wolfgang
http://videotreffpunkt.com
http://www.vegasvideo.de/forum
Wolfgang Schmid is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > 3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery