DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/3d-stereoscopic-production-delivery/)
-   -   GH1/2 3D Controller (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/3d-stereoscopic-production-delivery/506793-gh1-2-3d-controller.html)

David M. Cole April 9th, 2012 07:20 PM

GH1/2 3D Controller

Applied Logic Engineering, Inc. has built a sync controller around the basic power-sync process that all the GH 3D'ers are using. This is a preliminary run-thru of the bare board:

I should have a first article to test very soon. I'm fairly confident in the design as I've been in touch with the good folks at Applied Logic from the very beginning. I basically begged this product into existence.

Hopefully a ready-made controller will open GH1/2 3D up to more users!

Chris Hurd April 9th, 2012 08:15 PM

Re: GH1/2 3D Controller

David -- try that URL again, please

Just use the standard YouTube URL, nothing fancy. It will automatically embed a player right in your post.

Thanks again,

David M. Cole April 9th, 2012 08:44 PM

Fixed URL - thanks!

Chris Hurd April 9th, 2012 09:28 PM

Well actually no, a youtu.be link won't do -- like I said, it needs to
be the actual youtube.com address, in other words the direct URL
of the clip in order for the player to be embedded here automatically
-- but I edited it for you so we're good to go!

David M. Cole April 9th, 2012 10:20 PM

Thanks again.

Chris Hurd April 9th, 2012 11:25 PM

Excellent concept, by the way... please keep us advised of this project!

Pavel Houda April 9th, 2012 11:57 PM

Very nice, clean and complete implementation David. Inoue-san who does lot of cool 3D for a long time now had a system working on the same principle and had excellent results:
. He didn't have the skew display though. This should be very nice. How do you re-sync? Do you recycle camera power? I cannot find the implementation on their web site. This could make for a cool mirror rig. Thanks again.

David M. Cole April 10th, 2012 06:13 AM

Yes - you power-cycle to re-sync.

There are a group of GH1 and GH2 users that have been using this process for stereoscopic shooting for quite some time. I have 2 mirror rigs based on GH2s at the moment. There are some limitations - but - the price to quality ratio simply cannot be beat.

Lots of details here - 3D

Pavel Houda April 10th, 2012 10:20 AM

I noticed that the two cameras booted at 2.3ms skew and drifted to 3ms fairly quickly. How typical is that? My system generally stays below 0.5 ms for about 5 minutes. Others have even better results. I generally try to stay below 1.5 ms of skew (about 10% of frame time @ 60p), otherwise motions such as people waving become troublesome. What is your experience and opinion?

David M. Cole April 10th, 2012 03:14 PM

This demo was actually taped with only 1 GH1 - the v-sync was simulated. I typically see less than .05ms mis-sync on initial startup.

Pavel Houda April 10th, 2012 07:18 PM

That is most impressive! Thanks for sharing the info.

Bruce Schultz April 12th, 2012 03:16 PM

David, will this controller work with firmware hacked GH2's? Also, what is the target delivery date and price for this controller, if you know?

David M. Cole April 13th, 2012 07:49 AM

It absolutely DOES work with hacked GH1s and 2s. In fact, I don't know anyone shooting 3D with either camera who hasn't hack them. I have GOP1 hacks (Driftwood) on a pair of GH2s on a mirror-rig right now. It's a B-rig to my Scarlets - and it does an amazing job!

Applied logic will be issuing a press release with pricing and availability in the next few days. I'll make sure it gets posted here.

Neil Richards April 15th, 2012 07:52 AM

I like this. More info please.

David M. Cole April 30th, 2012 09:15 AM

Quick status update.... My test copy is in bound now. As soon as I can get it tested, Applied Logic will open up the order page. Should be just a few days. The user guide is available now...

Panasonic GH1/GH2 Dual Camera Controller