DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/3d-stereoscopic-production-delivery/)
-   -   Filming in 3D with the Sony NX3D1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/3d-stereoscopic-production-delivery/507780-filming-3d-sony-nx3d1.html)

Danny O'Neill May 14th, 2012 12:08 PM

Filming in 3D with the Sony NX3D1

We recently got to have a 3D masterclass at Sony and a couple of weeks with the Sony NX3D1 camera and will be writing up our findings and thoughts in a 3 part series on our blog.

Here we have part 1, the science and theory behind 3D shooting.

THE SCIENCE OF 3D SHOOTING | Minty Slippers

In part 2 we look at the camera itself and in part 3 we will be looking at 3D editing in Sony Vegas Pro 11.

Wolfgang Schmid May 14th, 2012 01:58 PM

Re: Filming in 3D with the Sony NX3D1

Nice report... even if a little bit basic at the beginning.

But I would wish that Sony makes such traings also here in Europa!

Matt Faw May 14th, 2012 07:40 PM

Very nice, thus far, and well illustrated points. Thanks for sharing!

Danny O'Neill May 15th, 2012 03:31 AM

Dont want to get too complicated to start with. Break people in nice and easy ;)

I didnt want to cover off all the visual cues involved with stereo vision as with the NX3D1 most of them dont matter, the camera handles them all for you. The main ones involved with the NX3D1 is occlusion and as demonstrated in the post it can totally destroy your 3D effect if not thought about carefully.

Pavel Houda May 16th, 2012 06:14 AM

Removed by author.

Bruce Schultz May 18th, 2012 05:36 PM

I have to chime in here and say that of all of the 3D cameras and systems I have bought or used in the past 4 years, the Sony NX3D1 is about the worst performer of the lot. Even the Panasonic 3DA1 which is notoriously noisy in low light shines in comparison to even normally lit interiors with the NX3D1. While watching footage on an HDTV taken by this camera, your neck starts to itch from all the mosquito noise in the pictures.

After viewing a recent well lit interior shoot shot with this camera, I grabbed my Canon 7D, popped in a card, took some pictures of the NX and posted them with a sale price on Ebay. I've no professional use for such a useless camera - I know it's "prosumer" but that doesn't stop anyone for trying to use it on higher end productions. In this case, not a good idea. I think I'm done with cheap 3D cameras now.

If you are teaching a course using this camera, I would recommend only using it outdoors where there is sufficient light to generate a usable image.

Leonard Levy May 19th, 2012 03:50 AM

The Panasonic Z10000 on the other hand at the same price point is really quite a nice little camera.