DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/3d-stereoscopic-production-delivery/)
-   -   Moving/copying MEDIA files from MAC to PC formatted Hardrives (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/3d-stereoscopic-production-delivery/508136-moving-copying-media-files-mac-pc-formatted-hardrives.html)

Carlton Bright May 29th, 2012 02:56 PM

Moving/copying MEDIA files from MAC to PC formatted Hardrives

This is actually the start of a line of questions:

I have several terabytes of a various types media files (all 3D related) . They are all on MAC formatted Hardrives at this point in time.
I want to consolidate it all, possibly to a DROBO S, (3 to 4 tara each) and am thinking of switching to a PC based editing system also.

But from what I have read, the FAT32 is limited to 4 gig sized files, yet some 3D media files are significantly larger that that.

There are of course other variables in making this big switch, but I needed to start with questions at some point in this process.
Any thoughts or advice in any capacity is certainly appreciated.
Carlton Bright

Adam Stanislav May 29th, 2012 03:08 PM

Re: Moving/copying MEDIA files from MAC to PC formatted Hardrives

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carlton Bright (Post 1735637)
But from what I have read, the FAT32 is limited to 4 gig sized files

More exactly, it is limited to 4 GB - 1 byte.

Bruce Schultz May 29th, 2012 05:41 PM

Carlton, maybe this will be in one of your 'future' questions, but I work on a dual boot Mac/PC for 3D editing and use MacDrive on the PC to be able to read files on both machines. I generally format drives on the Mac (journaled) so file size is not a problem. So far I've had no problems reading and writing to either platform, and I only use FAT32 whenever a consumer level camera writes out a file in that format - which I generally transcode from AVCHD to Prores HQ or Cineform. Otherwise, EXFAT does larger than 4GB files if you need to use the FAT system.

Matt Faw May 29th, 2012 07:16 PM

What Bruce said. I also have a Hackintosh, with both Mac and PC insides. I format all my drives to EXFAT, so there's no conflict between the two.

Neil Richards May 30th, 2012 01:11 AM

Carlton, I also use a Mac running both OSX and Win7 (under Parallels). I've got a mix of discs, some large multi-TB ones that are Mac OSX (journaled) and others that are NTFS, all works fine no problems at all.

To format NTFS discs I bought Paragon "NTFS for Mac" which is only 20 bucks and works a treat:

Paragon NTFS for Mac OS X software

There are some freebie ones which I tried such as MacFuse but I found Paragon to be rock solid after a trial and since it's a supported product I went with that.

I originally installed it well before I put Win7 on my Mac when I was playing around with DCP's for theatre exhibition. Doremi cinema servers, for example, accept NTFS formatted Cru drives (although they can accept some other unix file formats) and with Paragon I had no problem formatting an external eSata Cru and moving everything onto that and then into the Doremi server to ingest.

By the way, no 4GB file size limits with NTFS ;)

Carlton Bright May 30th, 2012 06:59 AM

Thank you all for the swift replies and valuable information.

One take-away is that the Mac-drive ($50.00) eliminates the "apples and oranges" issue between Mac or PC files. If that is so, then putting all the various files onto a Mac formatted (journaled) DROBO-S system would be the way to do this.

And Bruce- I presume you mean you are using a Boot-camped Mac to utilize Windows.. but should the PC's section be WINDOWS 7, Vista, NT, or is that not really an issue?

I am thinking I can get Vegas 11 or EDIUS 6.5 working on the PC section if I bootcamp my MAC, (it is a 3.1 Ghz, Intel core i5 Imac) but am concerned about how robust the PC aspect will be compared to using a dedicated PC native computer. When you are working intently on a project, slowdowns or crashes can become very distracting, as we all know.

Also, am I painting myself into a corner with the non-expandable IMac? Maybe getting a stand alone, no-frills expandable PC (for GPU accelerator boards, etc) would be a better way to go for future upgrading, etc?

Thanks Again,
Carlton

(I hope this thread is benefiting others at a crossroads with MAC-PC 3D editing decisions)

Alister Chapman May 30th, 2012 02:42 PM

I'm using a 4 core i7 iMac and it works well form me. I'm only using it as a Mac and I'm currently using CS6 with Neo3D for editing, but also investigating all the rather nice 3D tools in Adobe Speedgrade.

Bruce Schultz May 30th, 2012 03:14 PM

Alister, are you getting the Cineform codecs to show up in PPro CS6? I'm having some trouble on the Mac side getting them to be available as presets. Perhaps I need to reinstall GP Studio Pro again.

Carlton, you should always use the latest version of any Windows iteration because the older ones have many problems that are usually fixed in later versions. Case in point - Windows Vista. A complete dog of an OS but improved immeasurably by Windows 7. Boot Camp is not a Parallels type of partition with those limitations, it is a fully functioning Intel Windows Bios OS functioning completely separate from the Mac OS X.

Carlton Bright May 30th, 2012 04:48 PM

Alistar,Yes, I have a 4 core IMac too, and read the i5 to i7 is an improvement, but not a make or break issue concerning the 3D editing, (hopefully).

And Bruce, you mentioned earlier;
"I work on a dual boot Mac/PC for 3D editing and use MacDrive on the PC to be able to read files on both machines."

Is that via Bootcamp or Parallels? I am gathering that Bootcamp is preferable due to the complete separation, but their must be a reason
people prefer, and use Parallels..could it be the "dual boot" means both the Mac and PC are up and running simultaneously , and thus have an easier workflow?
Just Speculating-

In any event, to get the ball rolling It seems I may as well get the DROBO-S and format it asMac (Journaled), and begin the long transferring of the 3D media-
(B&H have a good deal offered with a full bank of 4-Tera HDs.)
Later,
C-

Bruce Schultz May 30th, 2012 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carlton Bright (Post 1735890)
I am gathering that Bootcamp is preferable due to the complete separation, but their must be a reason
people prefer, and use Parallels..could it be the "dual boot" means both the Mac and PC are up and running simultaneously , and thus have an easier workflow?

I think it's exactly that reason. Dual boot actually means an either/or position as far as which OS is chosen. Most Mac users don't ever want to be too far from their beloved OS X and venturing fully into the Win OS pool is scarey to many. Boot Camp forces the issue, Parallels is the dry spot on the bank of the river. The more stable of the two is Boot Camp in my experience for intensive computing like NLE editing. Parallels is OK for just bumping over to Windows for a snack, not a sit-down meal.

Neil Richards May 31st, 2012 05:59 PM

Have found Parallels and Win7 to be very fast and very stable and ran the earlier Edius 3D trial release when it was available doing some pretty intense high-pressure 3D edit sessions. Was very impressed with all of it, Edius in particular is amazing. On my iMac i7 I had no crashes at all - unlike FCP7 which does still crash on me periodically. Win7 seems ok too, has also proved to be stable and appears quick despite any Parallels overhead.

The beauty of Parallels is being able to run OSX apps in an OSX window and Windows apps in a Windows window (if you see what I mean) at the same time and all on the same desktop (which can be whichever you prefer). You can copy stuff between the two and you can select the amount of OSX-ness or Windows-ness you prefer to deal with too. With Bootcamp it's one or t'other.

Works for me anyway, now have access to both PC and Mac apps without any hardware upgrade required.