DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/3d-stereoscopic-production-delivery/)
-   -   Sony 3D Bloggie (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/3d-stereoscopic-production-delivery/508257-sony-3d-bloggie.html)

Adam Stanislav June 4th, 2012 01:30 PM

Sony 3D Bloggie

Looks like Sony has made a 3D pocket camera, but it does not seem that good.

Anyway, here’s a review for it I just found on YouTube:

Pavel Houda June 4th, 2012 01:57 PM

Re: Sony 3D Bloggie

The person on your link is almost correct. My son ordered one of these on Amazon for me to make me happy, so I gave it a try. It is fairly good in good light and in cramped spaces, and beginners may end up with lot of 2D, but at least noone will get a headache. Anything little further is basically 2D as just about everyone on this forum understands. The reference to eye distance is of course irrelevant. The camera is very bad in low light, as everyone would guess, just looking at the lenses. It is not a professional rig just as much as no point-shoot is, but it does fit in a pocket, and doesn't hurt after a while as my other rig does due to it's weight. I mounted it on a smoothee, and you can see the demo results here:
. As I said, the low light performance is poor. I just returned from a high-school reunion i Prague, where I took most of the footage with my regular toy. At the very end is a shot with the Bloggie3D, under the same light circumstances. The comparison results are obvious:
. After climbing hills and medieval towers for a week, the bloggie had it's plusses for the type of video it was intended. For the price of <$200 it's o.k. if beginner wants to try 3D and doesn't want to be too discouraged with all the things that can go wrong.

Adam Stanislav June 4th, 2012 03:12 PM

Well, that reviewer is not exactly a stereographer. He just likes to buy various gadgets and post his reviews on YouTube.

Your videos show that, unlike him, you know what you are doing. I was quite surprised how good the depth separation was for such a small camera.

Mark Rosenzweig June 5th, 2012 10:18 AM

"I mounted it on a smoothee".

Can you explain how you mounted the Bloggie on the Smoothee (I hate these names)? As far as I can tell it is a dedicated device for an iPhone, and I have been reluctant to acquire it for use for small cameras like a Bloggie. How does this work for those (non-iPhones)?

Pavel Houda June 5th, 2012 12:46 PM

The caption under the video explains it a little and the video itself shows the construction a little. I bought the iPhone adapter, and hacked the bottom mounting part. I attached it to a piece of weight and to a $4 piece of small camera mount which I bought on Amazon. ( ). The clamp holds the Bloggie. The Smoothee is easy to operate. It purposely has a slight amount of friction for that reason. It works like a slightly unbalanced scale. I mounted it to the Bloggie and to the Fuji W3. There was a large number of these new stabilizers for the little devices from several manufacturers at NAB. They all work. If you don't want to build one, I believe that Glidecam has some sort of universal mount one as well. Since I already had the Smoothee, I decided to modify that one.

Mark Rosenzweig June 5th, 2012 01:10 PM

Thanks; I was surprised that they made a design that was so specific to a "camera" model, contrary to all the other steadicams that they make - they have to make a different device for each camera model (GoPro, etc.). I will also check out Glidecam.

Pavel Houda June 5th, 2012 07:54 PM

I think that they now regret their decision, even though I am very happy that they made the Smoothee. They wanted to do something that requires minimal user intervention and adjustments. In general, the Steadicam reminds me of the violin. Very simple instrument, that requires a lot of practice and skill to perform it's miracles - but very well worth it. If one doesn't understand the principles of the stabilizers, balancing, etc., it could be the most frustrating instrument. Unfortunately not many people, even skilled filmmakers, appreciate it's capabilities, and not so skilled people do not understand the benefits at all, thinking "why do I buy big thing for a small camera". Well to me great film tripods, cranes, etc. are also much bigger than the cameras, and to get certain results, they are necessary. It's kind of like 3D in some ways - pain to make but worth the results if done well. Sometimes I feel that we are living in an era of easy conveniences and solutions in lieu of good ones. Furthermore, the iPhones , Bloggies, CE products in general just change way too often to justify the tooling costs for the custom adapters for Smoothee, and universal solutions require more setup and operator skills. I am sure glad that Garrett developed the Smoothee, and I would wish that there were more folks appreciating it's potential.

Matt Faw June 7th, 2012 10:30 AM

I notice that they make a Smoothee designed to fit the GoPro. Anyone know if it can handle the extra weight of the GoPro 3D rig?

Pavel Houda June 7th, 2012 11:50 AM

The gimbal will handle the weight, but you will have to figure out how to mount the rig and how to add the appropriate counter-weight.