DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/3d-stereoscopic-production-delivery/)
-   -   EDIUS 6.5- The auto pairing and sub-pixel adjustments (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/3d-stereoscopic-production-delivery/509141-edius-6-5-auto-pairing-sub-pixel-adjustments.html)

Carlton Bright July 9th, 2012 12:18 PM

EDIUS 6.5- The auto pairing and sub-pixel adjustments

At 2' 10" , this video of the EDIUS 6.5 mentions auto pairing and sub-pixel adjustments
and parameters done automatically.

Has anyone seen this or done this themselves, with actual footage?

Doing an initial "auto" process as a point-of-departure, would be an efficient way to begin a 3D workflow. You could then go back and work on areas that
need manual attention.

Paul Newman July 9th, 2012 03:46 PM

Re: EDIUS 6.5- The auto pairing and sub-pixel adjustments

I use auto pairing for files produced in other applications, such as Nuke, After effects or Cinema4D, so far all my camera masters are MVC which appear as a single track within Edius, and don't need to be paired.

The Stereoscopic adjuster fixes tiny subpixel errors in all geometrics relating to the camera source files - instant and very accurate.

Yes, auto is a great start point, then tweak for parallax settings related to entry and exit points of your shots, keyframing parallax changes also helps viewing comfort, all really easy in Edius, which is now super stable and very smooth.

Paul :-)

Carlton Bright July 10th, 2012 07:57 AM

Interesting, but is there an MVC encoder... I read on another thread this is not.. but if not , perhaps
it will be be included in a future update?

What are PC computer are you (or others here) using?

Curious if there a 3D-capable screen laptop that Edius 6.5 could be installed on. (Taking a 3D laptop to clients is one endgame .)

Carlton

Pavel Houda July 11th, 2012 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Newman (Post 1742476)
I use auto pairing for files produced in other applications, such as Nuke, After effects or Cinema4D, so far all my camera masters are MVC which appear as a single track within Edius, and don't need to be paired.

The Stereoscopic adjuster fixes tiny subpixel errors in all geometrics relating to the camera source files - instant and very accurate.

Yes, auto is a great start point, then tweak for parallax settings related to entry and exit points of your shots, keyframing parallax changes also helps viewing comfort, all really easy in Edius, which is now super stable and very smooth.

Paul,

How can I align two camcorders that started to record couple of frames apart? I usually use audio clicks, is there a good way to do it with Edius 6.5?

Is there a way to better match luma and chroma using the vectoroscope?

Thanks.

Paul Newman July 11th, 2012 03:35 AM

If I had to do that in Edius, I would bring the two clips into the bin, and then create subclips of either the right or left eye - (one click function) ie. this is a trim of one eye to make the start frames correct - then set as stereoscopic - the two clips are then married and appear on the timeline as one clip - this way you don't need to render new clips, they are simply trimmed bin clips that you can use to create synced stereoscopic pairing.

In my opinion, there is no simple way to set levels instantly, unless you rush out and buy Ocula for Nuke, this will correct things like levels, focus and so on... but at a price.

Chroma / luma settings can be applied to one eye or both simply using one levels filter and the waveform/vectorscope much as you would in any NLE -

Pavel Houda July 11th, 2012 09:15 AM

Thank you Paul. I tried the demo and hit these snags, that can be handled very simply with the Final Cut and with Stereo3D Toolbox on Mac. The only thing that doesn't have is the geometry auto-alingnment. Thanks again.

Paul Newman July 11th, 2012 01:08 PM

I looked at the Stereo Toolbox, it looks very handy - but as a non mac dude, it doesn't really help me much, I use Nuke so I'm not having too many troubles with matching levels in shots, Ocula is extremely powerful.

However the geometric fixes in Edius are very very good,

Have fun,

Pavel Houda July 11th, 2012 11:00 PM

I agree. I finally finished a test clip and previewed it on big screen. Best quality I've acheved in comparison with other tools. I hope they add couple more features, but this is a winner to me even without it. Thanks for your helpful advice.

Carlton Bright July 13th, 2012 10:04 PM

Oddly B&H discontinued this Entry-Level Turnkey Video Editing System just today.
Was it appropriate and/or adequate for the EDIUS 6.5?

As an alternative, someone recommended utilizing BOOTCAMP on my i5 Imac, but I am concerned about the process. I am in the midst of a few few clients projects on the Imac.
And is WINDOWS 7 pro is listed at 399.00. Curious if this is accurate.

B&H Photo PC Pro Workstation

Price: $2,296.95
SuperMicro / Grass Valley EDIUS 6 Entry-Level Turnkey Video Editing System

Includes Free Class on Demand Black Card ($99.95 Value)
2.8 GHz Intel Core i5-2300 Quad-Core
8 GB RAM, 500 GB System Drive
nVIDIA Quadro 600 1 GB Graphics
Windows 7 Professional (64-bit)
1080p50/60 & 4K Resolution
Native AVCHD & Real-Time Editing
Multicam Workflow (16 Sources)
Contour Design ShuttlePRO v2 Controller
B&H Software & Memory Installation
1 Year of Technical Support

Neil Richards July 15th, 2012 07:48 AM

Carlton I've posted this before so apologise for repeating myself but I've run Edius for quite a few months with no significant issues on a Mac using Parallels 7 and a copy of Win 7. It's obviously not as quick and smooth as running it natively on a Win PC but as far as the stereo editing is concerned it's very capable indeed and has proven to be rock solid. I run Parallels in OSX emulation mode so the Win 7 windows can sit alongside the OSX ones - this isn't the quickest way to set the gui up but I find it convenient. If you switch to a native Win7 window the gui will be even faster, although none of this affects the underlying speed of Edius itself.

The auto feature on Edius 6.5 is really good. It's an absolute dream for use with GoPro 3D's, which are never aligned correctly no matter how careful you are. With this, one click and it's all sorted, so you can concentrate immediately on the more creative side of the stereo edit.

The ability to swap from side-by-side to anaglyph to left/right-only view without any rendering is a revelation. And native editing of any codec on the timeline, no transcoding. And it's a 64-bit application so doesn't run out of memory like FCP7. Deep joy.

I've used the auto-pairing with 3DA1 footage, it's a big time saver. It also gives you a percentage match between the two files, so if you're manually hunting around to make the pair for some reason you've got reasonable confidence that you've picked the right ones.

There's still some stuff which I think FCP/S3DT is better at, Tim's comprehensive new tools in V4 are amazing and Edius doesn't have a batch export capability to match Compressor for instance, but the re-rendering needed in FCP for the different stereo views I now find a complete drag. I really need to move on over to FCPX/S3DT to see if that combo is closer to the speed of Edius.

I have moved between Edius and FCP though, exporting out HQX (or even using P2 AVC Intra as an intermediate, that works very well too) and pulling that into FCP. Edius exports QT files but not as pro-res, only HQ or HQX codec wrapped in a Quicktime wrapper. They are giving their HQ/HQX codec away free now so that shouldn't be an issue but if you want real pro-res in a real QT file you need to pull it into FCP and re-export it, or use a Compressor droplet.

Edius is still the only way I can edit Z10000 footage and that reason alone is enough for it to have become a regular part of my workflow.

Cheers

Neil

Wolfgang Schmid July 16th, 2012 04:40 AM

Quote:

Edius is still the only way I can edit Z10000 footage and that reason alone is enough for it to have become a regular part of my workflow.
Well, you can edit Z10K footage both with Vegas Pro 11 but also with Vegas Moviestudio HD Platinum 11 too.

But I agree that Edius 6.5 is a great tool.

Neil Richards July 17th, 2012 02:04 AM

Ah, yes, Wolfgang, I should clarify that it is the only way "I" can currently edit Z10000 footage - I didn't mean to say that it was the *only* way to do it - since I don't have Vegas :)