Split MTS from Panasonic Z10000 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > 3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery

3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery
Discuss 3D (stereoscopic video) acquisition, post and delivery.

Old August 10th, 2012, 07:14 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: Split MTS from Panasonic Z10000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Faw View Post
I was following your workflow up until this point, but there you lost me. As I understand it, one advantage of Cineform 3D is that you don't have to transcode. Cineform is a wrapper for containing the original file, and making it editable as an .mov (or .avi, if you prefer).

But if you transcode at this point, with MPEG Streamclip, then you lose all metadata, and you lose the advantage of a muxed file. Whereas, if you remain in Cineform, you should still have all camera metadata, keep L/R views muxed, and lose no quality to transcode. And, you should be able to edit the Cineform files in FCP, without any problem.

David Cole works in Cineform a lot; hopefully he can weigh in.
I bought the premium version, and I think the pro is the one that does what you say. I didn't feel like shelling out another $600 to gain the features you mentioned.

Honestly, I have little idea of what I'm doing. I'm a 2D guy and took this project because a client asked me to... so I bought the camera with no idea how to process the files. I will say, the Z10000 is a very capable camera, and the auto features will carry me through the learning curve.... Oh, I've had the camera for a whole week and I'm flying out for my first paid shoot on Monday. That gives me the weekend to do a crash course.

Cheers,

Tony
Tony Reidsma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2012, 03:19 AM   #17
Regular Crew

The most important point with he Z10K is to be aware what you do with the convergence control.

There are two possible ways: you adjust the convergence to the object - so choose object convergence. If the objekt is near and the farpoint is far away, shooting with a low convergence number could mean that the disparity in the farpoint becomes too huge. The danger for that can be high if you go to low figures like C10 or even below.

The other way would be - and tends to give you more freedom in the postproduction - to shoot with parallel axis. You can do that with the Z10K, by adjusting the convergence manually to C99, even if that will need some croping in the postproduction.

The format depends on the presentation target. For 3D-Blu-ray it is the best to shoot in 1080 24p, since the other modes cannot be authored to 3D-Blu-ray without conversion. For other presention ways it could be possible to shoot in 1080 50i/60i too.

Wolfgang
http://videotreffpunkt.com
http://www.vegasvideo.de/forum
Wolfgang Schmid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2012, 05:28 AM   #18
Regular Crew

I'd also throw in avoid playing with the telephoto - try and work with the lens as wide as possible and move the camera not the zoom. When you zoom in you reduce your stereo depth and everything starts to go all flat and cardboardy.

If you're new to it you can avoid a lot of editing headaches by *not* getting carried away with the convergence control - cutting between shots with wildy different convergence is not for the faint hearted so either go easy or shoot parallel as Wolfgang suggests.
Neil Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2012, 06:11 AM   #19
Major Player

In Cineform's product grid (Cineform) they say the MVC support is Windows only. Have they since added that support for Mac?
Jim Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2012, 12:48 PM   #20
Major Player

I checked with the folks at Cineform re MVC support on Mac. Interesting results. On a Mac, only Panasonic is supported, and that's only in progressive modes. On Windows they support both Sony and Panasonic. No JVC support at all currently.
Jim Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2012, 04:57 PM   #21
Regular Crew

I'm not seeing that ANY MVC support is offered on the Mac version of GoPro Studio Pro (or Premium) at the moment. I'm using 1.2.0.127 (latest released version) of GoPro Studio Pro Mac, and it does NOT import native files from the Z10K... I think supports the dual-stream Panny AG-3DA1.

Since MVC isn't working in the Mac version yet, the good folks @ Cineform provided me a long-term trial license on the PC version. Works PERFECTLY with Panny Z10K and Sony HXR-NX3D1.
David M. Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2012, 05:00 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Reidsma View Post
I bought the premium version, and I think the pro is the one that does what you say
Tony - both Premium and Pro support MVC, but, only the PC versions at the moment. I suggest using a trial of a PC version for now. If you ask nicely, Cineform might give you a long extension on the PC trial of GoPro Studio Premium, as you are already an owner of the Mac version.
Old August 13th, 2012, 05:04 PM   #23
Regular Crew

Quote:
... Export to .mov - There you can select Current Eye (Right Eye)
I'd certainly consider NOT transcoding again back to a DCT-based codec like ProRes! Finish in Cineform... it's a GREAT codec.
Old August 16th, 2012, 05:30 AM   #24
Regular Crew

All, thanks a lot for all the replies.

I just flew back last night from a shoot out of state, previewed the footage in anaglyph on the hotel's tv, and I love it!

Upon getting home, I hooked it up to my 47" Passive, and it's even better!

The only thing I need to do in my next shoot is lock in the white balance, but I can fix this in post this time...

Keep the suggestions coming, I greatly appreciate any advice I can get.

Tony
Old May 5th, 2013, 02:56 PM   #25
Regular Crew

So... I shot some footage, loaded the card in my MAC, clicked import, and GoPro quits.... I haven't done anything, but now it doesn't work. I updated the app, and same thing.

I am so F***ing sick of apple not getting on board with the latest cameras (Canon 6D for example), I am about to throw all my MAC's out the window!!

So I'm back an square one!!!!

Any advice would be great. I've had it and hope I never shoot 3D again!
Old May 6th, 2013, 12:32 PM   #26
Regular Crew

Sorry to hear you're having a rough time, Tony. Wish I had some advice for your workflow.

I definitely agree about the Mac/PC question. I've been Mac my whole computer life, but stereo has convinced me to move over.
Matt Faw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2013, 08:07 AM   #27
Regular Crew

Quote:
So... I shot some footage, loaded the card in my MAC, clicked import, and GoPro quits....
MAC version still does not have native MVC support. I'm guessing you don't have a PC available or you would be using the Panasonic app to split the files. Hopefully, GoPro Studio 2 will fix this.

If it's just a few shots you need converted, contact me @ dc@next3d.com and I'll use GoPro Studio PC to mux them for you.

-- David
Old June 17th, 2013, 01:15 PM   #28
Regular Crew

After some time with the GoPro people, they realized that they gave me a faulty app... it's fixed now.
Old June 18th, 2013, 12:07 PM   #29
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M. Cole View Post
MAC version still does not have native MVC support. I'm guessing you don't have a PC available or you would be using the Panasonic app to split the files. Hopefully, GoPro Studio 2 will fix this.

If it's just a few shots you need converted, contact me @ dc@next3d.com and I'll use GoPro Studio PC to mux them for you.

-- David
David,

Thank you for the offer to help. I didn't see your post till now.

I have a few hours of video to convert, and I doubt you'd want to convert it for me -> :-)

Tony
Tony Reidsma is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > 3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery