DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/3d-stereoscopic-production-delivery/)
-   -   My first edited short (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/3d-stereoscopic-production-delivery/509920-my-first-edited-short.html)

Allynn Wilkinson August 10th, 2012 06:42 AM

My first edited short

I've been lurking here for awhile and shooting S3D in various ways but this is the first edited piece I've ever done. It's a very short physics demo of kinetic and potential energy. It's actually part of group of 2D demos I'm working on for University students. This one seemed to have some real 3D potential and my colleague graciously let me film the whole thing 5 or 6 more times with the 3D camera.

The camera used was a JVC GS-TD1BU shot in half SBS, edited in FCP 7 using Tim's brilliant plug-in. Lots of things I would have done differently (starting with better audio) but the whole set-up, 2D and 3D shoot took just over an hour.

I'd love your feed back.

I've been trying to set the 3D tag on YouTube but it won't "stick". It must be a problem on their end since I've successfully done it in the past. I'll keep trying but the video is still viewable as SBS.

Matt Faw August 10th, 2012 04:40 PM

Re: My first edited short

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allynn Wilkinson (Post 1747834)
I've been trying to set the 3D tag on YouTube but it won't "stick". It must be a problem on their end since I've successfully done it in the past.

Hi Allynn, glad you posted. I'm trying to make a 3D science documentary, so it's nice to see what others are doing in the territory.

I haven't seen the 3D version yet, because my stereo monitor is attached to my other computer, but I wanted to respond to your youtube comment. The most recent youtube 3D set-up now includes assigning it as 3D at upload, and needs no tags. Instead, on the upload page, there is an "Advanced" tab, and within that is a 3D activation pull-down. Set it to "this video is already 3D" and specify the format.

You can also adjust this post-upload, by clicking on "Edit" in your Video Manager.

Allynn Wilkinson August 11th, 2012 06:13 AM

Interesting project you have, Matt. I'm looking forward to hearing/seeing more about it!

As to YouTube... yes.. that's where I'm trying to make the change, on the "Advanced" tab. I select "this movie is already 3D" and it lets me save it but the changes don't stick. I've been having the same problem with the YouTube channel at work which is why I think it might be a YouTube problem. Is anyone else experiencing this? Very frustrating!

Paul Newman August 12th, 2012 03:55 AM

I think you have to set the advanced tab 3D settings during the upload so the Tube knows how to process the clip, once it has processed I'm not sure it can re process the clip and make it available with stereo options.

Paul :-)

Allynn Wilkinson August 12th, 2012 07:19 AM

I'm pretty sure I've changed the function after upload before. In any event, I tried to upload a couple of test shots yesterday and *definitely* set the advanced tab at the point of upload. Still wasn't there. I've tried on Safari, Firefox and Chrome so it's not a browser bug. I'll have a go with a Windows 7 machine when I get a chance.

UPDATE: I just added the (old) 3D tag, yt3d:enable=true, and it's working. Yeah.. I know thay don't want us to do that anymore but hey, it worked. What's more interesting is that now, when I go into the Advanced tab, the option "video is already 3D" is properly tagged. Weird

Paul Newman August 12th, 2012 09:06 AM

I had to reverse the L and R then it looks OK

Paul :-)

Jesse Blanchard August 12th, 2012 02:07 PM

Pretty cool! It's great to see 3D used to really better demonstrate the concept. I like how you varied the shots to really show the balls travel as well. Nice work!

David M. Cole August 26th, 2012 07:45 AM

I think the YouTube UI method for designating 3D is broken. I can't get it to work at all.