GY-HMZ1U and GY-HMZ1E 3D camera at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > 3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery
Discuss 3D (stereoscopic video) acquisition, post and delivery.

Old August 16th, 2012, 05:45 PM   #1
Major Player

GY-HMZ1U and GY-HMZ1E 3D camera

Hi,
I have just bought the US model... and I have few questions (please keep in mind I own a Mac)...

1) Does anybody of you know of a Firwmare update to switch to the Eu model (and backwards.. or maybe even have both at the same time!) ?

2) I would like to record all in MVC (2x 1920x1080) at maximum quality but I know that it will be a problem to edit with the usual softwares (ie: Adobe Premiere seems to have no option to import MVC streams)... so..

A) Can you suggest me a way (possibly FREE) of converting outside Premiere the MVC stream to a SbS 1x 1920x1080 stream (let's say in Quicktime, ProRes codec or quality equivalent) ?

B) Is there a plugin out there for Adobe Premiere and After Effects to read the original MVC stream ?

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Marcello
Marcello Mazzilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2012, 12:23 PM   #2
Wrangler

Re: GY-HMZ1U and GY-HMZ1E 3D camera

I don't know of a firmware update to switch the US model to a Euro model.

If you have our HMZ1 blu-ray 3D you can watch the step-by-step tutorial for Mac in the post-production section that will help with your other question.

Basically, you can use the JVC bundled software (3D to LR Converter) to demux the MVC .MP4 files into separate 1920x1080p AVC files.
You can then work with them directly in Final Cut Pro X and use our plugin to manage output formats (side by side, anaglyph or discreet left and right.) Our plugin also works in After Effects, but we haven't released a Premiere Pro version yet.

You could also use ClipWrap to wrap the discreet left and right AVC files in Quicktime and then use the attached Applescript I wrote to mux them into side by side. I wrote the script over a year ago so I can't guarantee it will still work with current software updates.
Attached Files
File Type: zip GY-HMZ1 Coupler v0.2alpha.app.zip (62.5 KB, 80 views)
Old August 20th, 2012, 01:46 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I think there is no firmware-update that will allow the switch between PAL and NTSC area for that camera. But the good news are, that is less important - since you may tend to produce in 1080 24p anyway, since that format can be used for 3D-BD directly.

The bundled software should be able to separate the files to L and R - and then you will need a software that is able to edit that s3D footage. As far as I know CS is not able to do that without plugins - e.g. the Cineform plugins that would convert the MVC files, but that is not free and does not deliver an MVC-encoder what is nessary to create 3D-BDs.

If you work with the Windows world, maybe you wish to have a look to Vegas Moviestudio HD Platinum 12, what is NOT able to read the native MVC files from the JVC, but that should be able to read the converted files from the bundled software. And it is able to create 3D-BDs, if you wish to go for that.

Borring, but other solutions (for the win-world) are Vegas Pro 11, Edius 6.5, Cyberlink PD10 or Magix Pro X4.

Wolfgang
http://videotreffpunkt.com
http://www.vegasvideo.de/forum
Wolfgang Schmid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2012, 10:40 AM   #4
Major Player

Hi to both,
sorry I couldn't answer before I had problems with my account.

@Wolfgang I had the same idea.. that is why I got the US version.. With taxes, custom duties, transport etc... I ws still able to pay it 600 € less than in Europe !

@Tim - Hi when I wrote the post the camera was still "crossing the ocean".. Now it's in my hands.. and.. surprise surprise... JVC put a copy of your 3dBR disk in the box (hope you have an agreement with JVC or B&H at NY for this !.. and is not a surprise for you!). The disk is very usefull.. special the math and some truck n tips.

I also found the software to split LR that I was worried not to find (it costs 700$ !!!) ... actually TD1 users don't get it. In your disk you say that is better NOT to use Uncompressed... Sure you are right if 3D TO LR software just splits streams without toutching the video (recompressing.. etc..). Are we sure it doesn't ?

I've seen your plugins which might come usefull in the fuure.. but as I understand until the software I want to use (After FX, Premiere) actually has a 3D editing mode we are always talking about workarounds... I mean... the ideal 3d editing software would work this way...

1- I should be able to choose to work normally (2d window on top of timeline) or with an external monitor (possibly 3d).
2- After that I should just work in a transparent way... Not only for the editing (that is not complicate.. you just nest compositions, timelines, etc... and sitch/combine when you do the final rendering).... but mainly for the rest..
For example.. if I want to put a title.. The options in the menu for the title should allow me to move it in 3D. Or if I insert a vignette effect this should be doubled in both my left/right compositions.
3- Even more such software should have effects and transitions thought for 3D.. There should be a 3d blur for example... or a 3D transitions with one layer coming towards the audience then switching with the other thatgoes away etc...

Obviously all these things can be done one by one with workarounds.. using After FX 3d layers and camera, joining and splitting compositions according to what we need to do.... So.. as far as I understand.. there are no softwares 3D ready in this way?

The plugins (yours or other) let us work on 3D footage so we can correct it, move objects in front or in the back re-alining single clips, etc.. As far as I understand this is done sometimes just moving left-right.. other times with more complex systems like warping the edges or similar... But watching your video.. specially all the part about Positive Parallax.. it seems that 90% of the work has to be done shooting because after it might become very difficult to fix it (and I see you also have many tools for shooting).

Did I get it right ?

So.. if we are talking about simple editing (cut/dissolve... maybe a flat title on depth with the screen frame) this can be done just nesting compositions/timelines, and at the end rendering TWO identical editings one for L and one for R (or just ONE in SbS mode 1920x1080)

So.. as far as simple editing goes.. if I don't want a SbS 1920x1080 version...... the only problem (that I think still has no solution on MAC) is... Once I have these 2 streams (or maybe a single 3840x1080 stream) is how to get back a MVC so to record a standard Blu-Ray-3D.... Or.. I mean.. there is the broadcast solution by Sony.. about 15.000 $ !!!

Am I missing something ?

thanks to both
Old August 20th, 2012, 05:17 PM   #5
Major Player

And these are the first results... in SbS and Anaglyph.. Hope you like them!

http://www.siroma.com/temp/myfirst3d_sbs.mp4
http://www.siroma.com/temp/myfirst3d_Anaglyph.mp4
Old August 21st, 2012, 01:58 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcello Mazzilli View Post
(or maybe a single 3840x1080 stream) is how to get back a MVC so to record a standard Blu-Ray-3D.... Or.. I mean.. there is the broadcast solution by Sony.. about 15.000 $ !!!
As said, you could use the relativ cheap Vegas Moviestudio 12, what runs with Win7. I do not know if it is possible to run that on a Mac, using Bootcamp or other tools. But it has an MVC-Encoder for true 3D-BDs, and that for 65 Euro (plus 16% tax if you purchase it online in Euro...)

Movie Studio Platinum 12 Overview

There is nothing for free, data rate in that solution is limited compared with the professional solutions. But the result is not so bad - good enough for small productions.

Wolfgang
http://videotreffpunkt.com
http://www.vegasvideo.de/forum
Wolfgang Schmid is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > 3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery