making and using MASKS in EDIUS? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > 3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery
Discuss 3D (stereoscopic video) acquisition, post and delivery.

Old September 24th, 2012, 01:59 PM   #1
Regular Crew

making and using MASKS in EDIUS?

Hi All,
Since my highest quality video footage for a large upcoming project is H.264 format, 16 x 9, 1920 x1080 (at 30 fps) video clips, It seems that this would be the designated "Standard" video file size and format, for the entire piece, and will output 3840 x1080 side by side files for the final projection.

Question:
A good deal of the still imagery(jpegs) are not 16x9, and yet the EDIUS PROJECT settings conforming them to 3D , and work best with the aspect ratio set to the native size of the jpegs.

I was thinking of setting an EDIUS PROJECT settings to t video specs and creating a MASK to accomidate the JPEGS, The MASK would serve as a natural "cropping"
rather than auto cropping. and appropiate black would be on each side.
The output would not ten to distort the Jpegs as it seems to make them 16 x 9 on export so far.
Has anyone made a MASK yet, or have a better approach to suggest?
Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Best,
Carlton
Carlton Bright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2012, 01:24 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: making and using MASKS in EDIUS?

Hi Carlton,

I'm not exactly sure what you need here, do you mean that Edius automatically sets the size of the still to match the project size - ie. it maximizes the height or width to fit the project - whichever comes first?

If you want to mask/adjust either use the Layouter tool to mask/crop or size manage each clip - or create a mask and save it as a preset and then apply to any imported stills on the time line - if the stills are good quality, pull them to full screen 16x9 aspect, position for best effect - unless specificlly shot for TV, stills are usually non standard aspect ratio - so the higher the quality, the better for pan and scan. Again, use Layouter for keyframeable pan and scan moves in the edit.

maybe I have the wrong end of the stick here.....?

Paul :-)
Old September 25th, 2012, 06:43 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Ah, Interesting, I was trying to use the MASK filter, so thanks for pointing in the direction of the LAYOUTER. to do this.

My thinking was to make a black video clip of the the 1920x 1080 video specs,
then cut a hole , and use it as a MASK for the smaller Jpeg files reside behind.

These old 3D JPEGS go back in time, and some are really tiny, so I was even thinking of
making a montage with a couple of 3D jpegs peering through holes in the black video clip MASK.
(poorly described bit you get the idea I think)
Thanks again,
Carlton
Carlton Bright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2012, 01:20 AM   #4
Major Player

I think Layouter will fulfil your needs here as it runs in 3D as well (check box at top) then you have IO settings available as well as masks and crop - also use layouter on titles (on a video track) to place them in 3D space, to do moves masks and crops with keyframes.

This was done in Edius:

Paul :-)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > 3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery