The difference between JVC GY-HMZ1 and GS-TD1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > 3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery
Discuss 3D (stereoscopic video) acquisition, post and delivery.

Old January 21st, 2013, 03:26 PM   #1
New Boot

The difference between JVC GY-HMZ1 and GS-TD1

I am trying to get some original footage from GY-HMZ1 or some comparison between GY-HMZ1 (in 24p mode) and TD1 (in 50i or 60i mode), but I cannot find anything on the Internet. I've tried on AVS Forum but without luck so far. Moreover, no links on that Forum seem alive anymore.

Does anyone know if 24p mode on GY-HMZ1 gives sharper/better picture than TD1 (for not so dynamic scenes, of course)? I am testing my friend's TD1, but I am not very happy with picture quality (maybe I am too spoiled with coupled GH2s). There is also significant degradation of sharpness when shutter speed goes below 1/50s (on PAL model). I suppose that 24p mode on GY-HMZ1 might still give much better picture for slower shutter speeds. Am I right? Did anyone made some comparisons before?
Damir Vrancic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2013, 02:50 PM   #2
New Boot

Re: The difference between JVC GY-HMZ1 and GS-TD1

Just to let you know that I've got my HMZ1U, so I'll be able to test it and compare both modes (24p and 60i).
Old January 31st, 2013, 04:40 PM   #3
Wrangler

The GS-TD1 and the GY-HMZ1 have the same sensor and same lenses. There may be a perceptual improvement with 24p but the response and resolution of the actual sensor and lenses will be the same. The primary added benefits of the HMZ1 are:
-24p recording with some more control over the "look" of the image
-XLR input adapter and top handle (note there is no +48V phantom power)
-bundled MVC demuxing software

There may be a degradation or even some shimmer at low shutter speeds when the Digital Image Stabilizer is activated. This is because the camera is moving the image digitally to compensate for shake. I personally turn it off since most of the 3D I shoot I do from a tripod.

By the way, we still have some stock left of the HMZ1 tutorial Blu-Ray, which also applies to the TD1 (except for the three "pro" benefits mentioned above.) If you bought your HMZ1 in the U.S. then you likely will get the Blu-Ray bundled with your camera. If you purchased in the U.S. but didn't receive a Blu-Ray, just send your mailing address (US territories only) – plus the serial number of your GY-HMZ1U - to JVC at the following:

JVC Professional
Attn: GY-HMZ1U Instructional BD
1700 Valley Road
Wayne, NJ 07470

The request for the disc can be made via fax as well to 973-317-5030.

JVC will provide the disc at no charge, while supplies last, but only to those US territories customers who didn't receive it bundled with the camera.
Old February 1st, 2013, 08:44 AM   #4
New Boot

Thank you very much on letting me know. Yes, I bought it in the USA shop, but it was shipped to Slovenia. I did not receive any BluRay, so it probably does not apply to me.

Concerning image stabilizer - it is one of the first option which I always turn off, since I want control over the movements (Before I always used (and am still using) two camcorders/cameras in parallel). Moreover, the picture in 3D mode is the widest when image stabilizer is switched off.
Old February 2nd, 2013, 05:43 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Damir, I have recently joined this forum and am also a member of the AVS forum. AVS is definitely very active and in the 3d central section under source components, there is a thread comparing the JVC GY-HMZ1 and the GS-TD1. There is also another thread on the TD1 which runs to 66 pages.

Thought that might be of interest to you.

Roger
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2013, 06:38 AM   #6
New Boot

Thank you, Roger.
However, in the first message in this thread I've written the following: "I've tried on AVS Forum but without luck so far". Yes, the thread on AVS form was started by myself (crunchy3d).

Maybe just for others to know my first results: I've found out that shutter speeds below 1/48 s in 24p mode degrade sharpness of the picture. Similar happes with shutter speeds below 1/60 s in 60i mode. In 24p mode additional degradation of picture quality happens with shutter speeds 1/40 s and 1/20 s.

The most interesting things happened when I compared sharpness between 24p and 60i modes. It seems (from the first tests) that 60i is noticeably sharper. For me this is quite strange and unexpected.
Old February 3rd, 2013, 07:31 AM   #7
New Boot

OK, here is the difference between 24p and 60i modes (4 pictures - left and right for each mode). It really seems that sharpness is better in 60i mode:

http://we.tl/orqgYiILXZ
Old May 15th, 2013, 09:38 PM   #8
New Boot

Thanks for mentioning this, Tim, as I was able to get this at N/C thanks to your information.

Your Bluray is quite informative and should be considered a "must have" for anyone who owns the HMZ1. Could I have figured most of the information w/o the disc? Sure, but with that said, the disc saves one a LOT of time in needless trial and error.

Greg K

3dfilmarchive
World 3-D Movie Expo III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood View Post

By the way, we still have some stock left of the HMZ1 tutorial Blu-Ray, which also applies to the TD1 (except for the three "pro" benefits mentioned above.) If you bought your HMZ1 in the U.S. then you likely will get the Blu-Ray bundled with your camera. If you purchased in the U.S. but didn't receive a Blu-Ray, just send your mailing address (US territories only) – plus the serial number of your GY-HMZ1U - to JVC at the following:

JVC Professional
Attn: GY-HMZ1U Instructional BD
1700 Valley Road
Wayne, NJ 07470

The request for the disc can be made via fax as well to 973-317-5030.

JVC will provide the disc at no charge, while supplies last, but only to those US territories customers who didn't receive it bundled with the camera.
Greg Kintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2013, 11:16 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damir Vrancic View Post
Thank you, Roger.
However, in the first message in this thread I've written the following: "I've tried on AVS Forum but without luck so far". Yes, the thread on AVS form was started by myself (crunchy3d).
This thread here
JVC GS-TD1 3D-Capable Camcorder

was not started by crunchy3d - and has the 69 pages mentioned by Roger.

Wolfgang
http://videotreffpunkt.com
http://www.vegasvideo.de/forum
Wolfgang Schmid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2013, 01:03 PM   #10
Inner Circle

if you do not need 24p, the best ratio quality/price is for sony TD10 or 20.
If you need the 24p then you can get the JVC pro for less than 1000$, so it does not even worth to take a look on the consumer model.
If you need more, the next step is the panasonic Z10000, with 2x3 CMOS sensor, macromode, bigger spacing between lenses.
If you need even more, then you should look to dual camera rig, like two pwm200.
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2013, 08:46 AM   #11
Major Player

Here's a short anaglyph I shot with the GY-HMZ1 last week.

Jim Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2013, 01:36 PM   #12
New Boot

Nice shooting! Was that in auto mode or manual? And did you converge later or at the time? Thanks.
Charles Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2013, 03:31 PM   #13
Major Player

I think I had it on auto converge at that event. Lots going on and pretty random. I shot another event with it yesterday so will be interesting to see how that turns out since the action was much closer to the camera.
Jim Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2015, 08:02 AM   #14
Major Player

Does the JVC hmz1 actually output frame packed 24p live HDMI?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > 3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery