Anyone using Premiere 6 to edit HMZ1 footage? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > 3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery

3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery
Discuss 3D (stereoscopic video) acquisition, post and delivery.

Old July 14th, 2013, 01:06 PM   #1
New Boot

Anyone using Premiere 6 to edit HMZ1 footage?

Hi all, I am considering upgrading to Premiere 6 because, according to this .pdf, it can work natively with the MVC files of my new JVC HMZ1 camera, as well as with Cineform.

http://www.adobe.com/content/dam/Ado...6-jvcprohd.pdf

It's exciting news if that's the case. I use JVC's onboard splitter utility but the files are HUGE and then I have to do a few steps to get those huge files into Cineform/GoPro. (Tell me if I'm crazy: ReMaster won't open the huge uncompressed .mov files from the splitter utilty, so first I have to open the left and right .mov files in QT 7, export as ProRes, then get them into First Light. Once they are Cineform 3D files I then open those files in GoPro.)

Anyway, I have scoured the web and can't find any evidence of folks using Premiere 6 (per the .pdf above) with their HMZ1. What is the workflow in Premiere? I'm an FCP 7 guy for years. Does Adobe Media Encoder address the stereoscopic MVC issue? Can I encode in AME and then work in FCP 7 via Cineform?

THANKS to one and all for any information!
Charles Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2013, 08:53 PM   #2
Wrangler

Re: Anyone using Premiere 6 to edit HMZ1 footage?

Can you please point to the page where it says Premiere Pro can work natively with MVC? I can't find it. As far as I know Adobe's "native" support of MVC only applies to license holders of GoPro Cineform Studio Premium software ($299) who use the Cineform codec.

When I have worked with HMZ1 footage in Premiere Pro I simply extracted the MVC files into new "compressed" files using JVC's 3D to LR Converter app and then imported directly into PP CS6 (or CC.) It doesn't actually re-compress the video when using 'compressed' mode, but instead extracts the existing H264 stream for the left eye and rebuilds the H264 of the right eye.

Last year I upgraded both versions of Stereo3D Toolbox to work with Premiere Pro CS6 and CC. I haven't widely publicized Premiere Pro compatibility because there is still a tiny bug with on-screen controls we are waiting for Adobe to address. However, the functionality and workflow are exactly the same as Final Cut Pro 7. Stereo3D Toolbox v4 Guide | Help
Old July 15th, 2013, 05:23 AM   #3
Wrangler

Hey Tim,

You're correct. About 2/3 of the way down on page 7 of the document that Charles linked:

Quote:
The GY-HMZ1 shoots stereoscopic 3D Full HD 1920 x 1080 MVC/H.264 clips or 2D Full HD 1920 x 1080 clips recorded in AVCHD format. Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 offers world-class integration with GoPro Cineform Studio Premium software (available separately), enabling a robust stereoscopic 3D editing workflow.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2013, 08:42 PM   #4
New Boot

Hi, Tim! It's on page 2 and page 7.

Page 2:

ProHD MOV and MP4 format support
Adobe Premiere Pro directly supports ProHD MOV, MP4, and AVCHD content from JVC cameras, which record at selectable data rates up to 35 Mbps for high-definition 1080p, 1080i and 720p in 4:2:2 color space at all popular frame rates. Over-cranking and under-cranking sequence recording from 10 to 60 frames in 720p is also possible with the GY-HM750 and GY-HM790, while the GY-HMZ1 shoots stereoscopic 3D Full HD 1920 x 1080 MVC/H.264 clips or 2D Full HD 1920 x 1080 AVCHD clips.

Page 7:

The GY-HMZ1 shoots stereoscopic 3D Full HD 1920 x 1080 MVC/H.264 clips or 2D Full HD 1920 x 1080 clips recorded in AVCHD format. Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 offers world-class integration with GoPro Cineform Studio Premium software (available separately), enabling a robust stereoscopic 3D editing workflow.

If it DEPENDS on owning Cineform, these are misleading snippets.

In any case, I own Cineform, a wonderful but buggy program for a Mac user.

So... we can all read .pdfs. Anyone actually use PP 6 for this purpose?

Thanks, y'all!

Charles
Old July 16th, 2013, 09:34 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Wing View Post
Anyone actually use PP 6 for this purpose?
Neither Premiere Pro 6 or CC support MVC files. Unfortunately, the Mac versions of GoPro Studio Pro / Premium do not either. Only the PC versions of GoPro Studio offer MVC decoding at this time.

In fact, there really isn't a non-PC route to ingesting MVC at the moment. There are several PC paths, including using the utility included with most MVC-based cameras to split the streams (many have been discussed in this forum). It is possible to use Parallels or Bootcamp to run one of the PC MVC ingest options.

I work with MVC footage from Sony and Panasonic cameras very often - and use GoPro Studio Pro PC to ingest the footage into Cineform FilmScan1 3D Muxed format. Works for me.
David M. Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2013, 03:23 PM   #6
New Boot

The JVC utility that Tim mentioned will have to do, then! Once the clips are split L and R, all is golden.

I confess to being confused by the Premier .pdf linked above.
Old July 17th, 2013, 01:36 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood View Post
...I haven't widely publicized Premiere Pro compatibility...
I use your Stereo3DToolbox with Premiere and After Effects all the time... in fact, I'm using it right now :-)

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but, I'm SO happy to see you continuing to advance your stereo products. With the bloom off the rose on 3DTV, I live in fear of these tools going stagnate and dying. As much as I complain, I do NOT want to go back to the old days having to "cheat" stereo into tools that are not designed for it.
David M. Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2013, 02:29 AM   #8
Wrangler

We won't be dead-ending Stereo3D Toolbox or CAT anytime soon. As long as I need 3D production and post tools for myself I'll keep updating them.

It's tricky for a small company like mine to keep up to speed with new OS and app updates so we are a little slow but we do our best. I also have lots more new tools I've developed that I have yet to clean up and release as actual products.
Old July 20th, 2013, 11:01 AM   #9
New Boot

Per your suggestion, Tim, I've split my last batch of HMZ1 footage into the less-large "compressed" versions and will be doing side-by-side comparison with the ungodly large uncompressed .movs.

Thanks for the info, y'all. Someone needs to spank the Premiere .pdf writer for misleading information.
Old July 20th, 2013, 02:10 PM   #10
Major Player

Not sure if it helps, but the HMZ1 files are handled seamlessly in Edius 6.5. Videoguys had a competitive upgrade offer.
Jim Michael is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > 3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery