DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/3d-stereoscopic-production-delivery/)
-   -   Options for Portable 3d monitoring during production (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/3d-stereoscopic-production-delivery/519381-options-portable-3d-monitoring-during-production.html)

Anmol Mishra October 7th, 2013 10:52 PM

Options for Portable 3d monitoring during production

There are expensive 3D monitors available. However, I am cheap. Hence, this thread is a list of somewhat cheaper options.
If you are using a dual camera setup - you need to sync the 2x HDMI or HD-SDI signals into a single HDMI 1.4a signal.
Options are Matrox mc-100 or AJA Hi5-3D ~ 500/- USD
The cheapest monitoring option is the Sony HMZ-T2 or Sony HMZ-T3
Don't get the T1 as its too bulky.

Hi5-3D has an anaglyph option that will allow use of a 2d monitor with the red-green glasses.
The user manual lists the method for selecting anaglyph on pages 9 and 10:
http://www.aja.com/pdf/support/manua...ual_Hi5-3D.pdf
These go for about $500 USD and consume about 5 watts. It also supports full frame-pack as well as SxS and TxB squeezing output modes.

The most portable option for a native 1080p monitor seems to be TVLogic http://www.tvlogic.tv/Monitors/M_Spec.asp?sidx=49

There are a number of tablets and PMPs by Gadmei - but none of these offer an HDMI input.
If you know of a cheap-ish display, PMP (less than 1K) that offers 3d HDMI input (either single 1.4a HDMI or dual HDMI) do post about it.

Anmol Mishra October 7th, 2013 11:15 PM

Re: Options for Portable 3d monitoring during production

From How to set up sync'ed 3d playback from cams on set?
Forgot to say that be careful of the hi5-3d, sometimes they can add frame syncing to the signal (this retimes the cameras and knocks out genlock/shutter sync). Test fast hand movement and you'll soon see if this is the case or not. If it is, roll back onto an older firmware version on the hi5-3d.

Also check that the GPIO menu section of the cams is set to external genlock source.

Cant think of any gotchas right now... Oh yes, if you're running the 3.3.3 beta firmware, autofocus will put the cameras out of sync and you will need to change frame rate / resolution to reset.

Jesse Blanchard October 11th, 2013 11:36 AM

Hey Anmol,

What cameras are you shooting with? I haven't used the hi5-3d but have used the MC100 which does some signal sync and gives HIT, pixel shift, and some good output options.

J-

Tim Dashwood October 11th, 2013 06:12 PM

The MC100 was our answer to the shortcomings of the Hi-5 and HDLink 3D.

However, for those working with two-lens 3D cameras you can use the free version of Stereo3D CAT for monitoring on a Mac. It works with the Blackmagic-Ultrastudio 3D/4K for discreet SDI or HDMI1.4a input, or you could go with the $145 UltraStudio Mini Recorder and set the camera's HDMI output to side by side.

Anmol Mishra February 13th, 2014 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jesse Blanchard (Post 1816649)
Hey Anmol,

What cameras are you shooting with? I haven't used the hi5-3d but have used the MC100 which does some signal sync and gives HIT, pixel shift, and some good output options.

J-

Hi Jesse. I tried for a month to setup 2x Point Grey cameras but gave up, as the precision in terms of focus and convergence cannot be achieved via DIY.

I went with a Z10000

Anmol Mishra February 13th, 2014 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood (Post 1816678)
The MC100 was our answer to the shortcomings of the Hi-5 and HDLink 3D.

However, for those working with two-lens 3D cameras you can use the free version of Stereo3D CAT for monitoring on a Mac. It works with the Blackmagic-Ultrastudio 3D/4K for discreet SDI or HDMI1.4a input, or you could go with the $145 UltraStudio Mini Recorder and set the camera's HDMI output to side by side.

Thanks Tim. What min specs for a laptop do you need to capture 3d live from a Z10000 using Ultrastudio 3d ?
Cheers.

Tim Dashwood February 13th, 2014 08:01 PM

Just about any Thunderbolt-equipped Mac will work, but the more RAM and more VRAM you have, the less latency and higher frame rate you will be able to achieve. We've even tested Stereo3D CAT on a base Macbook Air with a Blackmagic Ultrastudio Mini Recorder ($145) and it actually worked OK. There are benefits to using a machine with a dedicated GPU instead of an Intel integrated GPU.

If you want to monitor a Z10000 or other consumer 3D camera that only has HDMI1.4 output you will need a Blackmagic Ultrastudio 3D or 4K to handle the 3D HDMI.

Anmol Mishra February 14th, 2014 08:36 AM

You mentioned that the Ultrastudio 3d can only record in 60i/50i mode. Is it still the 25p/30p/24p frame per channel ?

Tim Dashwood February 14th, 2014 09:57 PM

To clarify: The Ultrastudio3D will only capture HDMI1.4a 3D in interlaced 50i or 60i output. For example, you can still shoot 24p but the camera will add 2:3 pulldown in 59.94i HDMI output. This actually seems to be a limitation of the current consumer 3D cameras that we have tested and not the Ultrastudio 3D, Decklink Extreme 3D or the updated 4K models that can also capture 3D. These products work just fine in all other progressive frame rates when left and right HD-SDI inputs are used.

For Stereo3D CAT practical use it doesn't really matter if the camera is recording in 24p but outputting in 2:3 pulldown in 60i. It won't really affect your monitoring of parallax values and alignment.