Fooling Ultrastudio 3D at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > 3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery
Discuss 3D (stereoscopic video) acquisition, post and delivery.

Old January 27th, 2015, 03:06 PM   #1
New Boot

Fooling Ultrastudio 3D

We're attempting to repurpose an Ultrastudio 3D unit to play two 1080i Prores clips in sync into two separate monitors using the A and B SDI outputs.

Can we use 3D Toolbox LE to assign left eye and right eye designations to accomplish this?

To be clear, we are using a 2D workflow and want to watch two different full res. clips playing back in sync on two different monitors.

Thanks!
David
Old January 28th, 2015, 12:28 AM   #2
Wrangler

Re: Fooling Ultrastudio 3D

I haven't had a chance to try this lately so it may or may not work.

I would suggest using Blackmagic's Media Express app (should already be in your Applications folder) and rename your two ProRes files so that the left file just has a normal name and the right file has the EXACT same name with "_right.mov" at the end.

So:
filename.mov
filename_right.mov

If the two files are exactly the same length in frames, Media Express preferences are setup as HD 1080i59.94 3D and ProRes then Media Express should be able to import the two quicktimes and playback in perfect sync.

I remember this being tricky though.

Please let me know how it works out.
Old January 28th, 2015, 01:17 AM   #3
Wrangler

OK I figured this out.

It is actually easier than I described above.

1. Launch Blackmagic-Design Media Express after turning on Ultrastudio 3D
2. Set the preferences to HD 1080i59.94 3D (or whatever format your quicktime are in)
3. Drag or import the Left quicktime file into Media Express.
4. Double Click it so that it is loaded in the playback window.
5. Right-click or CTRL-click the clip to reveal the contextual menu.
6. Select "Set Right Eye Clips" and then navigate to and choose the right eye clip.
7. You will now have a paired clip that you can play. Save the project for later so you don't have to go through this process each time.
Attached Thumbnails
Fooling Ultrastudio 3D-media-express-prefs.png   Fooling Ultrastudio 3D-set-right-eye-clip.png  

Fooling Ultrastudio 3D-paired-clip.png  
Old January 29th, 2015, 10:31 AM   #4
New Boot

Thank you very much! I will try this out and let you know what happens.

Best,
David
Old February 6th, 2015, 12:29 PM   #5
New Boot

Thank you Tim,

The method you pointed out worked perfectly and Media Express played the two files out in sync and with no dropped frames. Looks great! Two 1080i Prores proxy files playing off of one SSD via USB 3.

Media Express doesn't seem to have the playback and navigation control we're looking for, which was why I was interested in working in Final Cut Pro. Play and pause are about all the control Media Express seems to provide. We're used to being able to jump to specific spots using timecode and being able to navigate around the timeline by specific amounts, play in 2x speed, play backwards, etc.

I tried the trial version of 3D Toolbox LE in Final Cut 7 and 10.1, and I can get side by side images on both monitors, but can't find an output setting that gives me the discreet eyes on the two SDI outputs of the Ultrastudio 3D.

Is that the nature of the beast, or can you suggest some method or settings that I'm not doing correctly?

I would try DaVinci Resolve but the lite version specifies that it isn't 3D capable and the $1k price tag for the full version is too steep for this experiment.

Thanks so much for your assistance!
Regards,
David

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > 3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery