DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/3d-stereoscopic-production-delivery/)
-   -   Just purchased JVC TD1 (yeah!), Couple questions plz (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/3d-stereoscopic-production-delivery/533479-just-purchased-jvc-td1-yeah-couple-questions-plz.html)

Mark Goodsell January 24th, 2017 11:20 PM

Just purchased JVC TD1 (yeah!), Couple questions plz

Hi Guys,

Just purchased a TD1 for about $500 (lightly used). Pretty excited! I know this is a legacy camera and 3D is all but done on new TV's, but this is purely for my own and family fun (I've got other cams I use for normal shooting). Well, I really wanted one of these when they came out, but couldn't justify it as I didn't have any 3D needs or even a good 3D TV at the time.

A few questions:
1) Could someone kindly list a few key pointers to get the best results from it, and things (settings) to avoid?
2) Seller didn't have the original CD. Is there any special JVC software on the disc I will need it to split clips or do anything special? And if so, would someone mind making me a copy of theirs? (or if there's a link online)
3) What's the best/largest aftermarket battery I can use with this thing?
4) What does the firmware upgrade do?
5) I'm looking for a new compact battery-powered mic ...donated my last Senheiser MKE400 to the bottom of a river recently (don't ask). Not really looking for a Rode videomic, something a lot more compact ..if possible. I can post this over in the audio section though. Just curious if you had suggestions.
6) Lastly, other than 'cool' shorts, or family videos, where did you use your TD1? Were you able to make any money with it? What did you like/hate about it?

Thanks,

Roger Gunkel January 25th, 2017 05:03 AM

Re: Just purchased JVC TD1 (yeah!), Couple questions plz

Hi Mark,

I've had my TD1 for about 4 years and love it for 3D work. It's the best of the consumer models that were produced in my opinion. You are right of course about the bottom falling out of the 3D home market although you can still get new 4k tvs that are 3D ready..

As regards your questions, I can't answer all, but can give some pointers.

1) Not sure about your experience in filming in 3D, but there are quite a few things that are different to 2d work. Always use a tripod to avoid unnecessary movement as it is very unpleasant to watch in 3D. The screen is great for an idea of the depth, but cuts the brightness by probably 50%, so try to film using the screen in 2d for greater clarity. Avoid fast zooms of pans, can be nausea inducing, better to cut to different framing. If you are not familiar with 3D filming, read up on window violations, divergence and convergency and the importance of varying distances from you of object visible in the stereo window. Try to avoid the gimmicky shots of things 'poking' through the screen, they are very old school and irritating. 3D is about using the depth to add interest and realism to a scene not to make a novelty of it. It might be worth joining the excellent 3dphoto.net forum to talk with other enthusiasts.

2) I don't use the software that came with the camera as I just drag and drop into my NLE. I use Magix MediaEdit Pro7 as it is excellent for 3D and all my conventional editing. A number of other NLEs are able to handle 3D footage, to various degrees.

3) I have a couple of larger batteries which fill the housing, just google for aftermarket suppliers.

4) Not sure what the last firmware was, but I think there was only one upgrade which enabled the AVCHD recording if I remember rightly.

5) I have a couple of the small Rode shock mounted video mics which I use with a number of cameras, they are dynamic so don't need a battery and work well with the TD1

6) My main business is wedding and small corporate and theatre productions. There is currently no call in the lower end markets for 3D in the Uk, so the camera sits on the shelf most of the time. I very occasionally have filmed weddings in 3D for enthusiasts, including one a couple of years back on Concorde in a display area. The camera was perfect for it and the weddings paid for all my 3D gear :-)

For my own interest I also sometimes use a pair of camcorders as a twin rig, together with a pair of GoPros if I need more than one camera for different angles. I also have a Panasonic 3D lens adapter for one of my older Panny cams, which is OK for fairly close work, but the IO spacing on the lenses is very small. I also sometimes enjoy 3D photography using a pair of dslr cams and a Fuji W1 and a W3 for pocket cameras.

It's a shame the 3D market collapsed again so quickly, but no doubt it will come back when glasses free viewing is easily available. After all we all see the world in 3D in real life :-)

Roger