3D HD Forum Needed at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > 3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery
Discuss 3D (stereoscopic video) acquisition, post and delivery.

Old January 8th, 2006, 01:35 PM   #1
Major Player

3D HD Forum Needed

Or at least 3D forum. HD is becoming mainstream. 3D HD will be the next wave. Disney made a survey that indicates that they can make some tens of percent more on 3D movies and are involved in retrofiting about 100 theaters for 3D projection. Sharp developed notebook with 3D screen that requires no glasses. Philips will have 3D TV sets in 2008 that do not require glasses. Cameron and others are all experimenting with 3D. Rodriguez made successful Spy 3D. There is an attachment that works with, I think, up to 37 mm threaded lenses that convert cameras to 3d. It supposedly works with HC1 and A1 HDV cameras. Canon had at one time a prototype of a 3D lens for their XL1 camera that many wanted to buy.

Although the market is quite negligible now, it may be a good idea to shoot 3D to extend life of content, just like some do with HD now. One camera material would become 2D content. When 3D becomes mainstream, the 2-camera 3D version could be released.

I am very interested in this technology. I am sure I'm not alone. If a forum could be created for this, the interest may prove to be quite large and the manufacturers of the low end pro gear may take notice and start producing tools that are needed. Meanwhile we can discuss tools that are available and techniques of 3D production.
Petr Marusek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2006, 02:08 PM   #2
Major Player

Too bad that the flat screen and other big screen TV's that are replacing the CRT's right now are not able to support the fast refresh rates that the shutter glasses need to work.

-Les
Les Dit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2006, 02:12 PM   #3
Major Player

Some of the latest LCD's have 2 and 3 ms refresh rates.
Old January 8th, 2006, 04:02 PM   #4
Major Player

Do they allow fast > 60 Hz refresh rates from the computer/source?

-Les

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petr Marusek
Old January 8th, 2006, 04:08 PM   #5
Major Player

of course they do
Old January 8th, 2006, 05:00 PM   #6
Major Player

Cool, do you have a link for one ?
Love to see it! All my LCD's are fixed at 60 Hz. right now.
Thanks
Old January 8th, 2006, 06:48 PM   #7
Major Player

I'm not sure, but I think that Samsung, maybe even Viewsonic announced these fast refresh rate LCD's.
Old January 8th, 2006, 09:02 PM   #8
Obstreperous Rex

Our criteria for launching new boards has been posted before, but basically we need about twenty or so existing threads on a topic. I won't start empty boards. If there's enough interest then anything is possible here.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2006, 08:35 AM   #9
Inner Circle

I'm interested to.
Wayne Morellini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2006, 08:52 AM   #10
Major Player

http://www.vrealities.com/

Virtuality reality store, 3D HD glasses, 3D movies - not enough - waiting for you guys to make some more.

3D HD, The Final Frontier
Old June 22nd, 2007, 06:45 AM   #11
Obstreperous Rex

It took some time, but here's your dedicated 3D / Stereo Videography forum.

By the way, if there are any 3D threads elsewhere on DV Info Net that should be in here, just provide the links -- I know I've probably missed a few.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2007, 02:11 PM   #12
Inner Circle

There has been much bigger interest in Digital Cinema camera projects in past, as well as various camera capture attempts, but the threads get lost with all the adaptor and DIY camera attachment threads. It would be good to have the threads in their own sub-forum, but they would get a bit missed. Another idea would be to have an split page view, like you do with the sticky threads, with "Custom Camera Imaging Equipment" threads on top, and "Custom Camera and Capture (Including Digital Cinema Cameras)" threads on the bottom to make it easier to zoom in on what you want, glance at everything else, and still be able to attract new converts from equipment.

Thanks again for the great site.

Wayne.
Wayne Morellini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2007, 01:24 AM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petr Marusek View Post
As far as i know all PC lcd and lcd tv refresh rate is fixed at 60-75Hz.
It doesn't matter whatever ms time the lcd have. This is even not the time from full white to full black, just gray-to-gray. (marketing)
BUT even if the panel have real 2-3ms delay, the electronic only displays max 75 hz. The 100hz lcd actually doubles the 50hz signal.
So i wonder, where can i buy a REAL 100/120 LCD TV.
Any link?

thx,
Marton
Old July 31st, 2007, 05:56 AM   #14
Major Player

120Hz can display a few new models of DLP RPTV from Samsung and Mitsubishi. They use DMD chip with wobulation aka vertical interlace (960x1080/120Hz=fullHD 1920x1080/60Hz).
I think this solution similar to DepthQ front projector.

ZDNet Executive Editor David Berlind talks to Samsung's manager of HDTV product planning, Dan Schinasi, about the company's new 3D HD rear-projection television. To enable 3D content on the TV, users will need Samsung proprietary software, a PC, a DVI card and 3D glasses.

http://news.com.com/1606-2-6197253.html
Serge Victorovich is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > 3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery