DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/3d-stereoscopic-production-delivery/)
-   -   Recommended Reading (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/3d-stereoscopic-production-delivery/97156-recommended-reading.html)

Tim Dashwood June 22nd, 2007 09:56 AM

Recommended Reading

Welcome to the newly created 3D Stereoscopic forum.
Chris has kindly collected all of the threads posted over the years related to Stereoscopic Cinematography/Photography/Videography and put them all into this one forum.

Stereoscopy is a hobby of mine and I will do my best to help moderate this forum. I have been shooting stereo photos with my vintage Kodak Stereo Realist for a few years and have recently been experimenting with rigs to capture 720P stereo images with JVC's ProHD cameras.

If you are interested in 3D Stereoscopy, I suggest you head to your local library or used book store and pick up these books.

Foundations of the Stereoscopic Cinema - by Lenny Liption ISBN0-442-24724-9
A pdf scan of this book is also available here. http://www.3d.curtin.edu.au/cgi-bin/...foundation.cgi

This is the defacto standard for information of the format. Lenny Lipton wrote this book in 1982. I don't believe there had ever been any other type of text on the subject.
You can also find an interesting article by Lenny Lipton in the May 1978 issue of American Cinematographer called "The Cinema In Depth, From Hollywood to Super-8 3D."

The World of 3-D, A Practical Guide to Stereo Photography by Jac. G. Ferwerda. ISBN90-71377-51-2

Another great book that will help you with the practical application of stereoscopic photography. Obviously the techniques described also apply to stereoscopic cinematography.

3-D Movies, A History and Filmography of Stereoscopic Cinema by R.M. Hayes ISBN0-89950-407-8

This is an intriguing book, with the whole history laid out in context of the industry as a whole. The copy I have is from 1989 so it is a little out of date, but still very very interesting.

3D Movie Making by Bernard Mendiburu. ISBN9780240811376
Focal Press Buy Now page.

This book is up-to-date as of NAB 2009 and is great for hobbyists or professional cinematographers. You can read a limited number of pages for free (and download e-book) on the Elsevier Bookstore (official bookstore for Focal Press.)

Chapter 1 Introduction to 3D Cinema
Chapter 2 Stereoscopic Vision
Chapter 3 The 3D Challenge
Chapter 4 Tools of the Trade
Chapter 5 3D Cinematography Fundamentals
Chapter 6 Preproduction
Chapter 7 Principal Photography
Chapter 8 CGI & VFX
Chapter 9 Editing
Chapter 10 Grading & Packaging
Appendix 1: 3D Cinematography Equipment

Serge Victorovich August 11th, 2007 03:06 AM

FEAR AND LOATHING IN 3D: TRUE STORIES FROM THE 3D INDUSTRY

"The World of 3-D Movies" by Eddie Sammons.
"The World of 3-D Movies" was first published in 1992.

"The World of 3-D Movies" is primarily a filmography of 3-D movies however it also provides an extensive history of 3-D Movies. Titles of chapters in the book include: 3-D in the Beginning and Now, 3-D or Not 3-D, The Formats, The Movies - A Chronology, The Movies - The Filmography, Who Directed What, At Home With 3-D. An errata list is provided at the end of the book.

Eric Deren February 12th, 2008 07:39 PM

Also, if you want to be surprised at how old all of this "newfangled 3-D" actually is, be sure to check out "Stereoscopic Cinema and the Origins of 3-D Film 1838-1952" by Ray Zone, which just came out last year.

Did you know that stereoscopic imagery actually predates photography?

And did you know that the first use of polarized filters for delivering stereoscopic images was 1891? I thought not. Check out the book, it's a great read.

Eric Deren
Dzignlight Studios
VFX & Animation Design
www.dzignlight.com/stereo
+1-404-892-8933

Tim Dashwood September 4th, 2009 06:41 AM

I added Bernard Mendiburu's book to the list in the first post.
You can read sample pages (limited per session) from here.
Just click the "read here" button and then select your chapter of interest.

Nick Hiltgen September 4th, 2009 06:21 PM

If you check out the lumiere museum in lyon, france. (they were arguably the guys who invented cinema) you'll see that they also have some steroscopic work as well, the stuff has been around for a while!

Raj Kumar February 27th, 2010 12:06 AM

help on motion capture

hi, im currently working on 3D animation feature film. we are using maya software. my questions are does maya support c3d? can trackd or VRPN or csv data transfer to maya? i already check on the net but couldnt find any answer.
hope you will help me out

Mathew Orman June 25th, 2010 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood (Post 700990)
Welcome to the newly created 3D Stereoscopic forum.
Chris has kindly collected all of the threads posted over the years related to Stereoscopic Cinematography/Photography/Videography and put them all into this one forum.

Stereoscopy is a hobby of mine and I will do my best to help moderate this forum. I have been shooting stereo photos with my vintage Kodak Stereo Realist for a few years and have recently been experimenting with rigs to capture 720P stereo images with JVC's ProHD cameras.

If you are interested in 3D Stereoscopy, I suggest you head to your local library or used book store and pick up these books.

Foundations of the Stereoscopic Cinema - by Lenny Liption ISBN0-442-24724-9
A pdf scan of this book is also available here. Stereoscopic Displays and Applications Virtual Library

This is the defacto standard for information of the format. Lenny Lipton wrote this book in 1982. I don't believe there had ever been any other type of text on the subject.
You can also find an interesting article by Lenny Lipton in the May 1978 issue of American Cinematographer called "The Cinema In Depth, From Hollywood to Super-8 3D."

The World of 3-D, A Practical Guide to Stereo Photography by Jac. G. Ferwerda. ISBN90-71377-51-2

Another great book that will help you with the practical application of stereoscopic photography. Obviously the techniques described also apply to stereoscopic cinematography.

3-D Movies, A History and Filmography of Stereoscopic Cinema by R.M. Hayes ISBN0-89950-407-8

This is an intriguing book, with the whole history laid out in context of the industry as a whole. The copy I have is from 1989 so it is a little out of date, but still very very interesting.

3D Movie Making by Bernard Mendiburu. ISBN9780240811376
Focal Press Buy Now page.

This book is up-to-date as of NAB 2009 and is great for hobbyists or professional cinematographers. You can read a limited number of pages for free (and download e-book) on the Elsevier Bookstore (official bookstore for Focal Press.)

Chapter 1 Introduction to 3D Cinema
Chapter 2 Stereoscopic Vision
Chapter 3 The 3D Challenge
Chapter 4 Tools of the Trade
Chapter 5 3D Cinematography Fundamentals
Chapter 6 Preproduction
Chapter 7 Principal Photography
Chapter 8 CGI & VFX
Chapter 9 Editing
Chapter 10 Grading & Packaging
Appendix 1: 3D Cinematography Equipment

The publications have no knowledge of undistorted stereoscopic vision geometry
required to produce real stereoscopic content distortion free that provide full immersion in stereoscopic scene with out distortion in scale, perspective and position.
There are also false claims to TEKTRONIX Tek 3D circular polarity rotator-shutter
that was invented by TEKTRONIX engineers and now called Z-Screen to hide fallacy.
US Patent 4,719,507 April 26 1985 inventor: Philip j. Bos, Portland, Oregon
Assignee: TEKTRONIX, INC, Beaverton, Oregon.

Mathew Orman

Jesse Blanchard November 6th, 2011 06:53 PM

Re: Recommended Reading

Has anyone read Bernard's latest book?

3D TV and 3D Cinema: Tools and Processes for Creative Stereoscopy

Is it a compliment to his first? I've read the first one and I'm debating buying the latest version.

Clyde DeSouza March 2nd, 2012 02:51 AM

Re: Recommended Reading

I'd like to add my book as well
Think in 3D: Food for Thought for Directors and Cinematographers