DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Additional Camera Support Topics (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/additional-camera-support-topics/)
-   -   Best Support for Wedding Videography (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/additional-camera-support-topics/26425-best-support-wedding-videography.html)

Miguel Lombana May 23rd, 2004 02:40 PM

Best Support for Wedding Videography

I've searched this forum and can't seem to find a conslusive answer which will help me with my next purchase on the question of, "What's the most widely used setup for a GL2 type camera and wedding videography to achieve a fatigueless shoot."

I've seen where some are shooting mono-pods, some are shooting on sticks (I'm in that arena now and looking for an alternative), some are shooting shoulder support (XL1s/Pro style) and with all that I am still having a bit of an issue in making up my mind.

So I'm asking that only wedding guys respond to this, but what config are you most happy with and why you ended up there.

Keep in mind that for the ceremony I'll still shoot on sticks, although the guy that shot my ceremony with an XL1s did it freehand but for the reception and pre-ceremony etc., I'm looking for an effective way to save my limbs from feeling like they are about to fall off.

I've considered something like the shoulder strap type support, a monopod, glidecams and stumbled on the canon waist belt support that they show on their site for the XL1s which I would imagine would work on any mini-dv cam, not just the XL.

I look forward to some replies...

Miguel

Mike Rehmus May 23rd, 2004 09:37 PM

I use sticks during the ceremony but normally have to hand-hold for most of the rest. I have a tripod available but usually that results in very stilted shots except for toast and the like.

I do put the tripod on wheels so If I have room to use it, it is very mobile.

I don't think there is any such thing as a fatigueless shoot. Just some are less painful than others.

Gustavo Godinho May 24th, 2004 06:25 AM

Professionals use stabilizers, like glidecam, in weddings? Or itīs too strange to try?

Miguel Lombana May 24th, 2004 07:07 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Gustavo Godinho : Professionals use stabilizers, like glidecam, in weddings? Or itīs too strange to try? -->>>

I've considered the glidecam or similar but the issue is the weight of my unit. The GL2 with a heavy battery, wide lens, sennheiser mic receiver, boom mic and light is way over the limit for the 2000 and not to mention the need to balance before the shoot would be a nightmare.

I may be wrong on this, might be easier than I'm thinking, I've never used the glidecams, but impression and logic tells me that it would be a waste.

I'm really leaning for something that will take the weight off my arm and down to my waist, such as the steadi-stick that Canon sells for the XL1s or the shoulder strap system (dv-caddie I think).

I'll still use sticks during the ceremony with my quick release so that I can run down the aisle after the ceremony and catch them walking back up the aisle for cut in's with the B cam.

I've also thought about some shoulder supports, the one I'd like is the Anton Bauer as it offers battery life and the battery is a nice counter weight. The issue is that this unit is not advertised for the GL series.

Miguel

John Laird May 25th, 2004 02:23 PM

What about the DVRigPro? I've been thinking about getting one of these for reception shooting with my 170. Anyone on here have any experience with it?

John