Various SLC posts - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Additional Camera Support Topics
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old February 24th, 2004, 11:38 PM   #31
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Here is Chrosziel's system at ZGC.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2004, 01:27 PM   #32
Major Player

I got the forearm brace!!

Hi, I’m following up to my previous thread asking if the Glidecam forearm brace helped to stabilize the GC2000 rig.

I went to New York last week, so I decided to check out B&H photo video.

Some system they have there, (Conveyer belts with baskets hanging from the ceiling and all that.) very novel I thought.

Anyway, I decided to get the forearm brace and the WA-58h wide converter, which all together set me back $352.97 to be precise.

I got it home, and after re balancing to accommodate for the new lens, I was astounded how stable the picture was. I feel that the brace somewhat eliminates some of the vibration movement that I was previously experiencing.
My shots are now much smoother and fluid.
I don’t know if its my excellent operational skills, ;) but I seem to be achieving pictures that you would only expect to get from a more capable and more expensive system.

I was previously using another wide lens converter, so the wider image hasn’t made the difference.

I’d love to post something for you guys to see, but I have no web hosting.
Richard Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2004, 02:09 PM   #33
Trustee

Handholding Grip That Attaches To Cam Tripod Mount

I've seen it before but can't find it now. It gives
added steadiness. It's a grip that has a shape that
fits your fingers for easy hand holding. About
a half foot long. Screws into cam's tripod socket. Thought
maybe Cavision made it, might be wrong. Anyone
know what I mean? It's just basically a handle
that sticks out the bottom of the cam.
Dave Largent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2004, 04:33 PM   #34
Regular Crew

The "8mm" handle i call it http://www.habbycam.com/unihandle.html
this one is made by habby cam i am not sure about the other ones.
Dmitri Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2004, 01:12 AM   #35
Major Player

Jr + Pdx?

Hi, all.

Just got a Steadicam JR for my PDX10 and am wondering if there are other users of this cam and stabilizer and what your thoughts are. Today was my first day of attempted balancing, and I think I'm coming closer to success. I have attached the larger lens hood, the XLR block and an me64, and a four hour battery. I didn't get the JR package that comes outfitted with a monitor, so I'll be balancing with the LCD open.
Does this sound like anyone else? Thanks for your input.

Shawn

Shawn Mielke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2004, 12:11 AM   #36
Regular Crew

*** Proper glidecam weight

I have a gig next weekend and I want to be sure I know exactly how to use my Glidecam 2000 with my VX2000 camera.

Does anyone have any general tips?

I've been practicing for a while but I mostly want to check that I have the right weight. How many rings do people have on each side on the bottom (assuming that the camera does not have anything hooked or bolted onto it).

It has been mentioned that I have to check it on a vertical (or is it horizontal???) drop and see about the drop time. How exactly do you do this properly? How do I know that the drop time is complete? When the camera starts swinging or when the bottom weights drop to the bottom -- it's a little confusing...

I really appreciate any help anyone can give! Thanks in advance!
Brian Patterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2004, 03:34 PM   #37
Major Player

Brian--

First, make sure your horizontal balance is tweaked as you like it...and then do the drop test.

To do the drop time test with the 2000, hold it out in front of you like you'd be shooting with it. With your free hand, pull the base up so that the center post is parallel with the floor. Let go of the base, and count the number of seconds it takes until the post FIRST reaches a vertical position. Meaning, the time it takes for the base to complete a 90 degree arc is what you're counting. on a 2000 pro, this should be about 1.5 to 2.5 seconds.

Many people wait for the base to come to a dead stop, resulting in 30 second drop times....this is incorrect!

If its droping too quickly, (less than 1.5 seconds), it's too bottom heavy, and you should take some weight off, or telescope the post in a bit. If it's dropping too slowly (greater than 3 seconds), you need to probably add a little bit of weight to the base or telescope the post out a bit.

Recheck your horizontal balance at this point to make sure it hasnt been thrown off by these adjustments.

hope this helps,

Casey Visco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2004, 05:59 PM   #38
Regular Crew

X Games Snowboard cam stabilization

Hi, anybody know how they stabilize the skiing cameramans cam? I use my steady cam jr but what I see them using looks like it has a handlebar and maby vari zoom controler? I havent seen their whole system, I dont know if it is some type of steady cam or gyro's with a harness. Any body know or have any ideas? TL
Old April 22nd, 2004, 07:53 PM   #39
Trustee

I've seen a set of bike bars with a mount attached for the cam and a harness that slings round the back of your neck. Works pretty well but difficult to use from a snowboard.
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2004, 07:05 AM   #40
Major Player

Battery powered pan heads? Bescor? Thoughts?

Hey kids, I tried to research this in the archives before ordering a Bescor battery powered pan head.

CLICK HERE to see it!

Anyway, I'm wondering why I never heard of people using these before? I know I'm opening myself to some good flaming... and I say bring it on... I've got a pod that's over a grand that I use 90% of the time. Here's why I got this head.

There are times when I want precisely repeatable pans/tilts and the mechanical precision of it is a plus... and for the ocassional time when I really want to be on camera WITHOUT having to worry about how terrible any "non-shooters" are... I can still have pans take place unmanned.

Just to give you ONE example of a time when something like this would be handy. Have you ever watched a travel show where they do a super-slow pan or tilt of a scene with no discernable focal point? Like a luxurious hotel room or the front of a castle?

Maybe I'm sanitizing something that doesn't need sanitizing, but if I'm doing a series of pan and dissolves... like you'd do to make a compilation of features of "whatever"... then I like the effect of precision.

Again... maybe I'm limited by my $1K tripod... but I'd like to see anybody take the exact amount of time to do a pan... over and over again... with no perceivable stops/slows during panning.

Thoughts? Flames? I've never heard ANYBODY talk about these heads...
Matt Gettemeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2004, 10:33 AM   #41
Major Player

Support for XL-1s+mini35

Hi, I am in need of a support system like the FlowPod for an XL-1s with a mini35 adaptor. I don't know how much the adaptor weighs, but the lens I will probably be using it with is about 3lbs.

I cannot spend thousands of dollars either. Any suggestions?
Old May 27th, 2004, 10:40 AM   #42
Regular Crew

This is one of many remote pan & tilt heads used for security and surveilance cameras.

You may find it vbery useful, but there are too many limitations to be generally useful. Pans & tilts start & stop abruptly, and, unless your camea features a wireless remote, there is no way to control the camera & lens if you are not at the camera. You will also need to have a fairly large monitor in order to see your framing.
Marty Atias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2004, 06:34 AM   #43
Major Player

BEC DVCAM Bracket

Anyone using this http://www.thebecgroup.com/frameset2.asp?MAIN=brk with the GL2? I've been trying to clean up my install and make my system more compact and less top heavy since I have a dual shoe adapter with a light and boom mic.

I've seen this device and note that there is also a mic mount on the inside, just curious to know if anyone is actually using. I did a quick search on the board and only found a couple of hits but not a feedback report which is really what I need before I plunk down 160 bucks for each of my 2 cams....

thanks
miguel
Old June 12th, 2004, 10:37 AM   #44
New Boot

PD150 on a Steadicam JR?

Hi all,
I've recently started to use my PD150 on a Steadicam JR with the weight kit but it is barely balanced and I've tried all I can to get it right. Any suggestions for setting up or is the camera just too heavy? if so any recommendations for other systems such as the Magiqcam? My budget is tight as I have only just bought the Steadicam.
Thanks
Nick
Nick Handley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2004, 08:35 AM   #45
Major Player

Re: PD150 on a Steadicam JR?

<<<-- Originally posted by Nick Handley : Hi all,
I've recently started to use my PD150 on a Steadicam JR with the weight kit but it is barely >>>

Try this:

http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Lot/7385/

Great information there and some nice tips.
John C. Chu is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Additional Camera Support Topics