Various SLC posts - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Additional Camera Support Topics
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old August 8th, 2005, 11:44 AM   #76
New Boot

Fixed Pan & Tilt

Got a question about the tripods that are made for most of the lighter weight DV cameras. I am seeing that most of them that are under $1000, the drag for pan & tilt are fixed. So does this mean there is no way to fine tune these settings? $599 is a lot to spend on a tripod for a DV camera and I'm just surprised that companies like Cartoni and Miller leave this option out at this price.
Greg Gelber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2005, 11:59 AM   #77
Wrangler

Well that is indeed the case with the Miller DS-5. The DS-10 adds these features but of course it costs more. My inexpensive Manfrotto 501 has adjustable pan and tilt, but the action is nowhere near as smooth as the DS-5.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2005, 09:04 PM   #78
Tourist

Homebuilt Forearm Brace

Hi! I'm brand spankin new to these forums, and stabilizer stuff in general. Fourth year student up in Canada, about to start production on my grad film.

I've built myself a Glidecam style stabilizer for an XL2, and unfortunately it seems that its right on par with the Glidecam 4000 reviews as far as being virtually impossible to use without an arm brace.

Therefore!

I am wondering if anyone has any links to designs for homebuilt forearm braces? I'm assuming the basic idea is simply the gimble grip is attached to a rigid object that runs along the under part of your arm, which basically hangs/is secured from/to your arm by a fabric mesh. That said, I'm pretty sure there would be some finicky little details that somebody has probably already sorted out?

Any tips/links/philisophical direction/guidance/enlightenment would be supermuchappreciated!

Thanks!
Gavin Coulson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2005, 06:49 AM   #79
Major Player

I know some have found at least modest relief by purchasing a wrist brace from a well stocked drug store or sports store. Get the beefy kind with the plastic splints built in as opposed to the plain elastic wraps.
Reid Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2005, 02:32 AM   #80
Major Player

bottom loading tripod adapter

Does anyone have any experience with this tripod adapter?
http://www.tripodadaptor.com/about.htm

I have an HC1 and I wanted to know if it'll be sturdy with this between the camera and the tripod

I also heard the Samsung SCD5000 comes with a tripod adapter that might work on bottom loading cameras. Anyone have any experience with that or any other adapters?

thanks
min
Min Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2005, 10:37 AM   #81
Trustee

I would be interested in this solution as well, as I was looking into the Sony A1U, but was very hesitant, because of the bottom loading problem.
Old October 8th, 2005, 10:43 AM   #82
Tourist

LCD Remote View options?

Hello,
I'm building a jib arm and am looking for some good LCD options to attach for viewing from the weighted end. Hopefully something relatively innexpensive.

Appreciate you pointing me in the right directions!
Best,
Jeff
Jeff Waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2005, 11:49 AM   #83
Regular Crew

I just bought the little Marshall 4" LCD, comes with a battery pack & the necessary cables to hook up to my old VX1000. I attached it to my Glidecam 2000 pro and the picture isn't bad for the price/value. It's my first monitor though so I can't compare the image to others.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search
Armin DeFiesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2005, 02:29 PM   #84
Major Player

pretty darn neat!!!

Sorry if this is already been posted but I thought it was pretty neat!!!! Check out the demo video. Seem like a semi-fair price too.
http://www.dvmoves.com/products/bodycrane/index.cfm#
Steve Witt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2005, 10:41 PM   #85
Regular Crew

Polecam

Hi
I'd be interested to hear if anyone's used a polecam and what they think of it. The web link is http://www.polecam.com ...
Graham Risdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2005, 04:59 AM   #86
Regular Crew

I haven't used one. I had a good look at the site last week and it seems that it would be a great tool but at £15000 for SD - no way!
Colvin Eccleston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2005, 10:48 AM   #87
Major Player

Any computer programmers out there?

Someone should make a program that allows users to input what kind of camera they have, how much it weighs and any accessories it has. It then processes the information and determines what tripods are compatable with the user's setup. Heck, it could even arrange them in different orders (ie- price, manufacturer) and give links for where people could go buy them.

That would be neat.
Old November 24th, 2005, 02:59 AM   #88
Regular Crew

DRAGANFLY not allowed to shipping out of Canada !!!

Hello
I know there's a lot of people is Canadian in this site so may be they can help me for my question , I bought DRAGANFLY from RC TOYS its wireless camera fixed on wireless helicopter so you can shot a very high area , we will use this product for some drama shooting and also for some documentary film , the problem that we are surprise for it that is Canadian government detain this product when the company send it to my country by FEDEX they said its not allowed to ship some thing like this product !!!! the product is Canadian and the price is only 1.600 USD and its will go out of Canada not enter to it , I wander how and why Canadian government do some thing like this and how supposed this company work
You can see the product at http://www.rctoys.com/draganflyer5tipro.php
Mouayed Zabtia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2005, 05:19 PM   #89
Major Player

Could always have it drop shipped to someone in canada and have them re-mail it to you. But before you do that did you try contacting the company and see if they could declare it as something else when they ship it. I don't see a logical reason to keep this from moving between borders so I don't see a reason to block it and not find a way around the problem.
Keith Wakeham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2005, 12:44 PM   #90
Major Player

Great (cheap!) way to take steadier shots with a handycam!

Hey Everyone,
I bought a $5 "Mini Tripod" at walmart the other day so I could use my camera as a web cam. I then picked the camera up with the tripod using my left hand, and thought to myself "Wow, I could take much better footage but using my right hand on the camera and my left hand on the mini tripod". Lo and behold it works.

Anyways, Just thought someone might find this useful -
Ari Shomair is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Additional Camera Support Topics