C stands, which to get? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Additional Camera Support Topics
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old August 31st, 2010, 02:33 PM   #1
Wrangler

C stands, which to get?

I've been renting C stands for years, but have decided to buy some.

Just wondering if there are any new developments in the C stand world that's made them lighter/less bulky.

Or which ones are the best value for the money?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!
Old August 31st, 2010, 02:48 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Matthews

... That is all.
Old August 31st, 2010, 05:07 PM   #3
Wrangler

[/thread] eh? :)

It's funny, whenever I rent them, I say "x C-stands" and have never once paid attention to which brand/style I've got.

Matthews makes a couple different model numbers which look the same, any preference?
Old November 4th, 2010, 09:11 AM   #4
Inner Circle

For less bulky I've got a couple of Matthews grip arms that I put on 2k Blonde or Master stands. They work for putting up a flag etc, but limited in tight overlapping leg formations. With a sandbag they're stable and can take a reasonable weight.

I wouldn't call them C stands, but they do a job when you don't want the weight or bulk.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2010, 09:21 AM   #5
Major Player

Avenger and Matthews are competitively priced to one another. You have to decide which variety are more useful to you in your various application and storage requirements. Any C-stand is better than not having any. If you can go to a video equipment supplier or even a rental house to check out different kinds.

One thing you should know is they take up very little space. Even the ones that don't have the detachable "turtle" legs will collapse so the stand only occupies less than a 2" wide space. For under $200 it is one of the best investments one can make in video gear. Buy a sandbag (or two) if you don't have one as well. You may not use them often but when you need them, you need them.
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2010, 10:10 AM   #6
Trustee

Another vote for Matthews.

I've got a couple of these with Rocky Mountain Base

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/227746-REG/Matthews_756040_Hollywood_Century_C_Stand.html
And the rest with Turtle Bases for ease of storage

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/112099-REG/Matthews_756140_Century_C_Turtle_Base.html
All have Grip arms and heads I never seem to have enough of them. I'm also thinking about getting a couple of the 20" stands too as I've had some situations where a shorter stand would have come in handy.

-Garrett

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Additional Camera Support Topics