DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Additional Camera Support Topics (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/additional-camera-support-topics/)
-   -   The million dollar question: XH-A1 shoulder brace? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/additional-camera-support-topics/488442-million-dollar-question-xh-a1-shoulder-brace.html)

Micky Hulse December 4th, 2010 10:09 PM

The million dollar question: XH-A1 shoulder brace?

Hi,

I have read many threads about an XH-A1 shoulder brace, but I kinda have some specific requirements:

1. Must be able to control manual camera settings (i.e. focus/zoom/other).
2. LCD viewing only
3. Not too many parts... I like simple.
4. Not steady stick (already tried it, good price, but not sturdy enough)
5. Not totally a requirement, but... Can double as mono-pod (All I really need is a way to hold camera high up in air like I can with monopod) :)

What would you suggest?

Price range: Between 0 and 400$.

Thanks!
Micky

Les Wilson December 5th, 2010 05:48 AM

Maybe you only looked at A1 shoulder braces. If so, you'll find answers if you widen your search beyond that camera as there are many threads on this topic. I went thru a similar search recently for the Sony EX1 so you could look there.

Net net is you have somewhat conflicting requirements. If you hold a camera up like a periscope, it has to be on a stick not your shoulder and you aren't controlling "focus/zoom/other"

Most shoulder rigs use handles which means your controls move to a lanc remote on the handle. You can at least do zoom/focus but not so much "other"

DVRig Jr isn't a shoulder rig but it puts both hands on the camera. and virtually all the weight on your hip. It's a spring loaded stick to periscope somewhat.

Micky Hulse December 6th, 2010 12:21 PM

Hi Les! Thanks so much for your reply! I really appreciate it. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Les Wilson (Post 1595083)
Maybe you only looked at A1 shoulder braces. If so, you'll find answers if you widen your search beyond that camera as there are many threads on this topic. I went thru a similar search recently for the Sony EX1 so you could look there.

Ah, you are correct. I was only searching for the A1. I am not sure why, but I did not think to look for other models! :D

Quote:

Net net is you have somewhat conflicting requirements. If you hold a camera up like a periscope, it has to be on a stick not your shoulder and you aren't controlling "focus/zoom/other"

Good point! I guess there are those situations where I need to hold it up high for a few minutes, and then back down to eye level again.

Thinking about this, I typically can predict when I will need to hold the camera up high, so in that case I would just opt to use a monopod.

Thanks for pointing out the conflict there. :D

Quote:

Most shoulder rigs use handles which means your controls move to a lanc remote on the handle. You can at least do zoom/focus but not so much "other"

Oooh, I did not realize this (lanc remote)! Very cool!

Zoom/focus should be all I really need. :)

Quote:

DVRig Jr isn't a shoulder rig but it puts both hands on the camera. and virtually all the weight on your hip. It's a spring loaded stick to periscope somewhat.

Oooh! Not bad looking!

DvRig Junior

Looks more solid than the "SteadyStick":

Steady Stick

Also looks like it can go over your head, so that kinda meets my periscope needs!

Thanks for tips! Much appreciated.

Just out of curiosity, is that what you purchased for your EX1? (I have not searched the forums/Google for that info yet).

Many thanks Les!

Have a great day!

Cheers,
Micky

Les Wilson December 6th, 2010 04:28 PM

I purchased the DV Rig Jr for an XH-A1 actually. It's more than a stick. It actually comes with a fluid head for tilt and Dutch rolls. You want to make sure it's locked down tight when you periscope as you don't want the camera to suddenly tilt down. I haven't periscoped a camera for a long time and it was smaller and lighter.

Regardless, a monopod or stick with a camera on top is a very top heavy rig. If you think about it (and I have far more than I should), it makes for an unstable situation. You have to add some kind of support to stop lateral and forward motion. So it's good for unweighting but something else is needed to stabilize.

Micky Hulse December 8th, 2010 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Les Wilson (Post 1595578)
I purchased the DV Rig Jr for an XH-A1 actually. It's more than a stick. It actually comes with a fluid head for tilt and Dutch rolls. You want to make sure it's locked down tight when you periscope as you don't want the camera to suddenly tilt down. I haven't periscoped a camera for a long time and it was smaller and lighter.

Cool! I am sold on the DV Rig Jr. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Les Wilson (Post 1595578)
Regardless, a monopod or stick with a camera on top is a very top heavy rig. If you think about it (and I have far more than I should), it makes for an unstable situation. You have to add some kind of support to stop lateral and forward motion. So it's good for unweighting but something else is needed to stabilize.

I hear ya! I was recently filming using monopod and holding up high in the air (more like arm length above head) with a heavy wide angle on the front. Talk about unstable. Fortunately my monopod was able to crank down and keep the camera in place, but it still felt pretty awkward.

Anyway, I really appreciate the help! :)

Have a great day!
Cheers,
Micky

Les Wilson December 8th, 2010 03:13 PM

Have you browsed this forum?
Shoulder & Handheld Supports Forum at DVinfo.net

Spider Brace plus a small LANC control is a very lightweight rig that gives very good stabilization. You can use a quick release plate to switch your camera to a stick.

Micky Hulse December 8th, 2010 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Les Wilson (Post 1596396)

Whoa! How did I miss that forum!!!!! Sheesh, I need to search better before asking questions! :)

Thanks for pointing out that area of dvinfo.net!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Les Wilson (Post 1596396)
Spider Brace plus a small LANC control is a very lightweight rig that give very good stabilization.

Oooh, I will have to check that out. Thanks so much for the tips!

Looks like this thread has some good info on LANC control for the A1.

Thanks so much Les! I owe you one. :)

Have a great day!
Cheers,
Micky