The million dollar question: XH-A1 shoulder brace? at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Additional Camera Support Topics


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old December 4th, 2010, 10:09 PM   #1
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Eugene, Oregon, USA
Posts: 213
The million dollar question: XH-A1 shoulder brace?

Hi,

I have read many threads about an XH-A1 shoulder brace, but I kinda have some specific requirements:

1. Must be able to control manual camera settings (i.e. focus/zoom/other).
2. LCD viewing only
3. Not too many parts... I like simple.
4. Not steady stick (already tried it, good price, but not sturdy enough)
5. Not totally a requirement, but... Can double as mono-pod (All I really need is a way to hold camera high up in air like I can with monopod) :)

What would you suggest?

Price range: Between 0 and 400$.

Thanks!
Micky
__________________
Home: See "Work" :)
Work: Canon XH A1, CS3/CS4/CS5/Final Cut Studio/Final Cut Express/Premiere Elements
Micky Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2010, 05:48 AM   #2
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Posts: 2,979
Maybe you only looked at A1 shoulder braces. If so, you'll find answers if you widen your search beyond that camera as there are many threads on this topic. I went thru a similar search recently for the Sony EX1 so you could look there.

Net net is you have somewhat conflicting requirements. If you hold a camera up like a periscope, it has to be on a stick not your shoulder and you aren't controlling "focus/zoom/other"

Most shoulder rigs use handles which means your controls move to a lanc remote on the handle. You can at least do zoom/focus but not so much "other"

DVRig Jr isn't a shoulder rig but it puts both hands on the camera. and virtually all the weight on your hip. It's a spring loaded stick to periscope somewhat.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2010, 12:21 PM   #3
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Eugene, Oregon, USA
Posts: 213
Hi Les! Thanks so much for your reply! I really appreciate it. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Wilson View Post
Maybe you only looked at A1 shoulder braces. If so, you'll find answers if you widen your search beyond that camera as there are many threads on this topic. I went thru a similar search recently for the Sony EX1 so you could look there.
Ah, you are correct. I was only searching for the A1. I am not sure why, but I did not think to look for other models! :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Wilson View Post
Net net is you have somewhat conflicting requirements. If you hold a camera up like a periscope, it has to be on a stick not your shoulder and you aren't controlling "focus/zoom/other"
Good point! I guess there are those situations where I need to hold it up high for a few minutes, and then back down to eye level again.

Thinking about this, I typically can predict when I will need to hold the camera up high, so in that case I would just opt to use a monopod.

Thanks for pointing out the conflict there. :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Wilson View Post
Most shoulder rigs use handles which means your controls move to a lanc remote on the handle. You can at least do zoom/focus but not so much "other"
Oooh, I did not realize this (lanc remote)! Very cool!

Zoom/focus should be all I really need. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Wilson View Post
DVRig Jr isn't a shoulder rig but it puts both hands on the camera. and virtually all the weight on your hip. It's a spring loaded stick to periscope somewhat.
Oooh! Not bad looking!

DvRig Junior

Looks more solid than the "SteadyStick":

Steady Stick

Also looks like it can go over your head, so that kinda meets my periscope needs!

Thanks for tips! Much appreciated.

Just out of curiosity, is that what you purchased for your EX1? (I have not searched the forums/Google for that info yet).

Many thanks Les!

Have a great day!

Cheers,
Micky
__________________
Home: See "Work" :)
Work: Canon XH A1, CS3/CS4/CS5/Final Cut Studio/Final Cut Express/Premiere Elements
Micky Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2010, 04:28 PM   #4
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Posts: 2,979
I purchased the DV Rig Jr for an XH-A1 actually. It's more than a stick. It actually comes with a fluid head for tilt and Dutch rolls. You want to make sure it's locked down tight when you periscope as you don't want the camera to suddenly tilt down. I haven't periscoped a camera for a long time and it was smaller and lighter.

Regardless, a monopod or stick with a camera on top is a very top heavy rig. If you think about it (and I have far more than I should), it makes for an unstable situation. You have to add some kind of support to stop lateral and forward motion. So it's good for unweighting but something else is needed to stabilize.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2010, 12:58 PM   #5
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Eugene, Oregon, USA
Posts: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Wilson View Post
I purchased the DV Rig Jr for an XH-A1 actually. It's more than a stick. It actually comes with a fluid head for tilt and Dutch rolls. You want to make sure it's locked down tight when you periscope as you don't want the camera to suddenly tilt down. I haven't periscoped a camera for a long time and it was smaller and lighter.
Cool! I am sold on the DV Rig Jr. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Wilson View Post
Regardless, a monopod or stick with a camera on top is a very top heavy rig. If you think about it (and I have far more than I should), it makes for an unstable situation. You have to add some kind of support to stop lateral and forward motion. So it's good for unweighting but something else is needed to stabilize.
I hear ya! I was recently filming using monopod and holding up high in the air (more like arm length above head) with a heavy wide angle on the front. Talk about unstable. Fortunately my monopod was able to crank down and keep the camera in place, but it still felt pretty awkward.

Anyway, I really appreciate the help! :)

Have a great day!
Cheers,
Micky
__________________
Home: See "Work" :)
Work: Canon XH A1, CS3/CS4/CS5/Final Cut Studio/Final Cut Express/Premiere Elements
Micky Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2010, 03:13 PM   #6
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Posts: 2,979
Have you browsed this forum?
Shoulder & Handheld Supports Forum at DVinfo.net

Spider Brace plus a small LANC control is a very lightweight rig that gives very good stabilization. You can use a quick release plate to switch your camera to a stick.

Last edited by Les Wilson; December 8th, 2010 at 04:07 PM.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2010, 03:49 PM   #7
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Eugene, Oregon, USA
Posts: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Wilson View Post
Whoa! How did I miss that forum!!!!! Sheesh, I need to search better before asking questions! :)

Thanks for pointing out that area of dvinfo.net!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Wilson View Post
Spider Brace plus a small LANC control is a very lightweight rig that give very good stabilization.
Oooh, I will have to check that out. Thanks so much for the tips!

Looks like this thread has some good info on LANC control for the A1.

Thanks so much Les! I owe you one. :)

Have a great day!
Cheers,
Micky
__________________
Home: See "Work" :)
Work: Canon XH A1, CS3/CS4/CS5/Final Cut Studio/Final Cut Express/Premiere Elements
Micky Hulse is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Additional Camera Support Topics

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:40 PM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network