16:9 to 4:3 query at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old August 5th, 2007, 02:37 PM   #1
Regular Crew

16:9 to 4:3 query

Placed a 16:9 DV sequence in a 4:3 DV project using Matrox RTX2 /PP2. The 16:9 clip appears on the timeline converted to 4:3. It looks reasonable but my video monitor has seen better days. What sort of degrading will the render to 4:3 be expected to have caused ?
Mike Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2007, 05:15 PM   #2
Trustee

There shouldn't be any loss to speak of. Did you shrink the 16:9 to fit side to side or did you just let the right and left edges get cropped off?

Of course, if you changed the proportions to exactly fit to full frame, it could look pretty bad.
Old August 5th, 2007, 05:20 PM   #3
Major Player

You responded before I could Steven. I have the X2 and you shouldn't experience any loss at all. I did a quick try of it on a four minute clip, and it looked good also after being encoded..

Damon
Damon Gaskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2007, 02:10 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks to you both. Sounds like good news. I did nothing to the clip myself. The project setting of 4:3 automatically trimmed off the left and right sides after capture. The sequence then needed rendering before exporting. The picture quality does not look too far from the original but difficult to tell on my less than ideal monitor.
Mike Wade is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite