JVC Pro HD and Adobe Premiere Pro - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old December 13th, 2005, 09:55 PM   #31
Major Player

I had the exact same issue today when I did my first capture into PP 1.5, I was afraid I ruined my master tapes going through airport security or something. Then when I found out the master was fine I started looking at the new deck and was ready to ship it back.

Nice to know someone else had this problem. I'll try Aspect HD.

Thanks for the info David.
RED ONE #977
Daniel Patton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2006, 04:03 PM   #32
Major Player

Figured I'd revive this thread with another question. I now have the HD100 and currently use Premiere Pro 1.0. I know I'll need to upgrade to 1.5.1.

My question is this: My hardware is a P4 2.66 GHz with 533 bus. It's just a tad under the recommended minimum. Will Premiere Pro 1.5.1 and AspectHD run on this system, even if its less than real-time? Or will something in the software mix arbitrarily say "nope, doesn't meet minimum specifications" and refuse to run at all? (I've seen that with some software.) If it does run, what will I lose performance wise? (I really only need one real-time stream since I mainly do cuts-only editing with the occasional transition.)

Here's the reason I ask: I can afford to either upgrade to PP 1.5.1 with AspectHD and use the same hardware, OR, upgrade to PP 1.5.1 and new hardware but have to forego AspectHD.
Earl Thurston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2006, 04:22 PM   #33
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Early,

I have some good news for you. The minimum system specs are for 1080i Sony users (which there are many thousands) which is alot harder to process than the JVC's 720p24/25/30 images. Your old P4 will run pretty well on the JVC footage. You can even download the Aspect HD trial and run that on Premiere Pro 1.0 which supports most of what you need (minus export to M2T -- which you may not need anyway.) Give it ago.
Old January 9th, 2006, 04:43 PM   #34
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Newman
You can even download the Aspect HD trial and run that on Premiere Pro 1.0
Oh really? I was surprised by that...the info on your site implied I needed 1.5.1 first.

I was going to try Aspect HD yesterday, so I downloaded the PPro 1.5 trial and tried adding its 1.5.1 patch, but the patch wouldn't install without the full PPro version. I gave up and tested Connect HD instead. (Which works, with an occasional error.)

But if I can use Aspect HD with just PPro 1.0, that would be dandy. Will give it a try tonight.
Old January 9th, 2006, 04:57 PM   #35
CTO, CineForm Inc.

The web site will say things that reduces a tech support load. :) We do support PPro 1.0 but there some restrictions, it particularly has issues with 1440x1080 1.33 pixel aspect ratio (an issue you not have.) Please give Aspect HD a try on Premiere Pro 1.0.
Old January 10th, 2006, 02:40 PM   #36
Major Player

The next day...

Just tried Aspect HD last night. Wow... At the risk of sounding like a shill, I'm very impressed. Not only did it work on my older PC, it performs better in HD than PPro by itself in SD. I actually got a real-time dissolve, whereas I would normally get a lower-res proxy until I rendered. I'm sold.

Noticed two minor quirks so far:

- If I apply any Aspect HD filters, the button for bringing up the settings dialog box isn't working. No dialog appears (but an entry gets added to the History). I can, however, change the parameters in the Effects window.

- The image in the Monitor window changes brightness depending on playback speed. Still frames and slow scrubbing are darker than real-time, which jumps up in brightness. Makes it hard to tell which level is correct.
Old January 10th, 2006, 03:01 PM   #37
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Earl,

Glad you like Aspect HD.

Here is some here with the minor issues.

1) That button is like an appendix, it doesn't do anything (one we will work out how to remove them.)

2) You have an NVidia card, follow the instructions in the readme for calibrating the NVidia output.
Old January 10th, 2006, 03:14 PM   #38
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Newman
2) You have an NVidia card, follow the instructions in the readme for calibrating the NVidia output.
Will do. Thanks for the info.
Old January 31st, 2006, 10:25 PM   #39
Trustee

will Premiere 2.0 work w/jvc100?

Still mulling over editing solutions...

Don't love Premiere, but I've only used the orginal version.

Any reason for hope w/2.0?

John
John Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2006, 11:53 PM   #40
Major Player

How about Canopus Edius? It took a little getting used to, but I dig it...
Shawn Alyasiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2006, 08:55 AM   #41
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Alyasiri
How about Canopus Edius? It took a little getting used to, but I dig it...
I'm changed to Edius from Premier about a year ago. I love it. Specially now, when support the HD100 100%

Laszlo
Laszlo Horvath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2006, 05:40 PM   #42
New Boot

I think we're about to try it using the AJA xenaLH card with version2. it should be supported...
Chad Simcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2006, 10:31 AM   #43
New Boot

JVC in PPro 2

Yes - it works natively in PPro 2. However, I would strongly suggest anyone using Vegas 6 or Premiere Pro 2 to buy either Aspect or Connect software from Cineform. You can then capture the files as 4:2:2 .avi files and work in multi-stream realtime in either app. If you have the Xena card you can capture files from ANY HD camera as 10 bit 4:2:2 files in Premiere Pro using Prospect, the "pro" Cineform add on and then cut your project as 10 bit for pristine graphics etc.

The other cool thing about the Propect/Xena thing is you can capture the 8 bit 4:2:2 feed right out of the JVC's component out direct to disk and convert to 10 bit on the fly - bypassing the HDV format! This the method we plan on our next feature. You can also capture the 60p feed out of the JVC as 60fps via Xena for true slow-mo!

Sorry to sound like a Cineform commercial, but I've tested their stuff extensively and it's just awesome! Their .avi's perform much better than native HDV files and I can cut, color correct etc. as fast as a DV project.

Lance
Lance Bachelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2006, 12:52 PM   #44
Major Player

Which Xena Card?

Lance,

You see very well versed in things Cineform, Aja and Adobe. So hopefully you can help with the following question.

I'm a bit confused by the Aja lexicon, the HS, the LH and so forth. As I recall, PP 2.0 supports the HS only -- supposedly. On the other hand, Prospect HD supports the LH. Forgive me if I've slightly mixed up the nomenclature, but I'm sure you know which products I'm referring to.

Adding to the conundrum is that the HS is much less money, but doesn't have analog component inputs. What would you recommend?

What if I can't afford Prospect but want to enable Aspect HD to output 4:2:2 8-bit SDI for mastering to D-5, etc.? Iinput could still be HDV 4:2:0 footage via firewire.

My system is dual twin-core Opteron 275 currently with 4 x 500 GB array and 4 Gigs of RAM. I am about to install Aspect 4.0 and the full Production Studio. My camera is HD100 and I have the BR-HD50 deck. I also have the Addenda serial control cable which I understand should work with the PP 2.0 install.

Thanks very much for any clarification you can offer!

Tip
Tip McPartland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2006, 12:31 AM   #45
New Boot

Cineform

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tip McPartland
I'm a bit confused by the Aja lexicon, the HS, the LH and so forth. As I recall, PP 2.0 supports the HS only -- supposedly. On the other hand, Prospect HD supports the LH. Forgive me if I've slightly mixed up the nomenclature, but I'm sure you know which products I'm referring to.

Adding to the conundrum is that the HS is much less money, but doesn't have analog component inputs. What would you recommend?

What if I can't afford Prospect but want to enable Aspect HD to output 4:2:2 8-bit SDI for mastering to D-5, etc.? Iinput could still be HDV 4:2:0 footage via firewire.

My system is dual twin-core Opteron 275 currently with 4 x 500 GB array and 4 Gigs of RAM. I am about to install Aspect 4.0 and the full Production Studio. My camera is HD100 and I have the BR-HD50 deck. I also have the Addenda serial control cable which I understand should work with the PP 2.0 install.

Tip
Yeah the new cards from AJA are confusing, more so because of the whole PCIe vs. PCI-X slot thing and the fact that you need the version with component connection for JVC live capture. I know Cineform is working to qualify all necessary cards - I would contact them directly for up to the minute info concerning PPro 2 and the right card for Prospect and your hardware.

Keep in mind, you don't need the card if you are shooting to tape - only if you plan on capturing via component outputs of JVC 100. Aspect 4 works fine and fully supports 8 bit 4:2:2 capture right from the camera via firewire or via the JVC deck. You can monitor the HD signal via DVI to a widescreen LCD or add a Quadro 540 with component breakout box for true HD viewing while editing etc. You can always render your final product and firewire drive it to tape on another system.

Sounds like you have a great system - good luck with your projects!

Lance

PS - Since you'll probably have to deliver a 1920x1080 master, take a look at Algolith plug-ins (www.algolith.com). Just tested uprezzing Cineform/JVC footage - also used the noise reduction filter - insanely great results, but 15 sec. a frame render on my Intel 840 system. Should go quicker on your AMD monster system.
Lance Bachelder is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite