Color Correcting in PP CS3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old August 15th, 2007, 07:43 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Color Correcting in PP CS3

I am looking to switch to CS3 from Liquid, and am in the process of testing it right now. So I have several questions, one of which is in color correcting. I really like the histogram feature in Liquid, and corrected these clips very easily using it:
http://candlelightdigital.com/comparison.aspx
These clips are what I've been using as my torture test. It takes me virtually no time to get to this "acceptable" status on some bad original footage within Liquid.
I struggled with a couple of the filters in PP, including Fast Color Corrector, White Balance Fix, Three way color corrector...
Nothing gave acceptable results, and they all took quite a bit of time.

Granted, this is a pretty extreme example, but it is an easy fix in Liquid. How would you fix this in PP, and how much time would it take?
Bill Zens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2007, 10:31 PM   #2
Major Player

I would use the RGB Curves. Probably get a decent result under a minute if you know exactly what to do, but probably around 3-5 minutes.

Reduce the red channel, increase the master level, add some blue etc...

Curves are great.
Old August 16th, 2007, 07:25 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Is this something that can be done in Afer Effects?
Old August 16th, 2007, 08:52 PM   #4
Regular Crew

OK, I was able to do a pretty good match. You're right, lowered the red bit, upped the blue a tidge, and got it to an accpetable range in a couple minutes of futzing around.

My deal is going to be in understanding color now, what to add, and what to subtract.

Son of a .....

Onwards and upwards, and now to my next questions...
Old August 17th, 2007, 07:08 AM   #5
Major Player

The question is, why would you want to switch to Premiere from Liquid? I am kind of tied in with PPro having Matrox RTX2 and all, but Liquid is probably more powerful than Premiere. What do you think?
Jiri Fiala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2007, 07:50 PM   #6
Regular Crew

To change or not to change?

Actually, the upgrade I'm thinking about is CS3. Here's why...
CS3 has most (if not all) of the products I would need in one easy to use package, and moving (and editing) from package to package is very attractive to me. Soundbooth for audio, After Effects, Encore, Flash and Illustrator, with an easy "bridge" connecting them all is very attractive.
Secondly I believe ( but am not sure) that the features offered in PP and the other products are far superior to what's currently available in Liquid.
PP also has much better support and recognition, in product training, 3rd party products, etc.

My version of Liquid is circa 2004 (5.6) and its obviously screaming for a change. I do know it like the back of my hand, and am wondering if it's worth the time to learn a new program.

A lot of non Liquid users struggle with it because (as I hear it) the command set is somewhat backwards. I'm the opposite... I'm used to thinking in the Liquid style and am somewhat concerned about changing my thought process and going to a more traditional system.

So, because this is my thread, I think I'll hijack it and ask what your thoughts are as to learning curves, and all the features of the CS3 package are.

In a nutshell...
************ IS IT WORTH IT??? ****************************

Bill
Old August 18th, 2007, 06:07 PM   #7
Major Player

I would suggest trying out the trial. You can then determine for yourself if it's worth it. In all honesty, it will probably depend on how fast you can switch from the mind and skillset of the app your working with now. Some will say it is worth it and others will probably say it's not. I am in the mindset of making your own decision...

Then you will simply know for self. I love Premiere and have been using it for a few years. I couldn't imagine at this point doing what your thinking about. But this version is the best thus far IMHO and a great time to switch over. The learning can be a little involved, but nothing that can't be overcome.
Damon Gaskin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite