Matrox, CS3 Hardware Question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old August 20th, 2007, 04:37 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Matrox, CS3 Hardware Question

I'm going to upgrade from PP2.0 to CS3. I'm also going with the Matrox RT.X2 in a new PC. I'm looking @ Safe Harbor putting a Tsunami workstation together for me. Going with 4GB RAM,Intel Core 2 Quad 2.66,and PowerColor X1950 PRO 512 MB card. Is there any changes to this or must-haves? Other option is to build my own with a Dell XPS-720. Any thoughts would be helpful. Thanks!!
Al Kozak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2007, 03:19 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I recently purchased a Dell XPS 720 and am using a Matrox rt.x2 (that is on "loan" to me). I have an Intel QX6700, 4Gb of Corsair 8500 DDR2 Ram, nVidia chipset motherboard, and an nVidia GeForce 8800GTX.

I have encountered no problems other than I had some trouble with audio not coming trough. I spent an hour researching it and finally removed my sound card. Using on-the-board audio seemed to cure that. Since I use a Bose set-up on USB I never used my audio card to begin with.

I see you are in Cleveland. If you ever need a backup videographer or a third camera please let me know.
William W. Holcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2007, 07:43 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I have the RTX2 and have great confidence in it. I am currently PP2, but as soon as I get the music from the current client, will upgrade to CS3.

Make sure you look at the Matrox site for the approved Motherboards, sound cards, video cards, how to setup raid etc. They worked with my builder because my mobo was a generation later than the listed one and all went well. They do not support unlisted hardware!! But that means they are better able to support issues of equipment they know works right.

X2 is Very stable, makes life easier. Only issue I had was be patient on timeline update if working with large (hundreds) of still pictures that you are scaling and moving. It make take a long time on occasion (only happens once in awhile) and just be patient. Otherwise you could crash and then pray it is ok. One time it seemed to take 10 minutes to update after I thought the project was toast (backup was OK) and then it was back. Didn't have another long update on that project after that.

For normal video clips, absolutely no issues at all.

Check out the movie export options vs media encoders as they are faster.

Bill in Ohio
Bill Ritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2007, 01:17 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Bill, are you running the SD version of the card or the HD? I've heard (cannot confirm) that the SD version is more particular in terms of hardware than the HD.

I've always doubted that, but thought I'd throw it out for comments.
William W. Holcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2007, 01:11 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I am always capturing and editing in HDV -- you have a choice of using matrox mpg or HDV using a matrox preset for PP2 -- same is supposed to be true for CS3. I will know shortly as I intend to upgrade this week.

Once you have the edited project in HD, then I export according to what the client wants.

Intel D975BX2 motherboard
Intel core 2 duo E660 2.4 GHz
2 GB DDR2 667 RAM
WD 320 GB HDD as C drive
3 WD 320 GB HDD as video drive set as Raid zero
Audigy 4 OEM Sound Card
GEForce 7950GT 512 MB PCI-E Video Cards
Pioneer Blue Rad drive
XP Pro
Antec Titan 550 Server Case with extra fans

Make sure you look at the Matrox website for acceptable mobos and systems and how they configured them. The RTX2 card is huge and takes a large case like the Antec 550. It will not fit in most other cases.

I am a happy camper!!!

Bill in Ohio
Old October 14th, 2007, 11:55 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I have upgraded successfully to CS3 seems to work well except for when I hit space bar in succession it can cause a sound loop with video still playing. exit, don't save, use ctl alt del to shutdown program and then you can restart and redo what you hadn't saved.

Other than that it seems to work great.

Bill in Ohio
Old October 15th, 2007, 03:37 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ritter View Post
I have upgraded successfully to CS3 seems to work well except for when I hit space bar in succession it can cause a sound loop with video still playing. exit, don't save, use ctl alt del to shutdown program and then you can restart and redo what you hadn't saved.

Other than that it seems to work great.

Bill in Ohio

Bill there is a audio loop patch on matrox website that might help you out.

"Rtx2 CS3 Audio Looping Patch for Mx.Tools 3.0"

Steve
Steve Montoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2007, 09:13 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Thanks, I just saw the patch and as soon as I get back from vacation (visiting my Mom) I am going to install it.

Bill in Ohio
Old October 15th, 2007, 11:47 PM   #9
Major Player

Enjoy the rest of your vacation!

Steve
Steve Montoto is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite