Image blinking after applying effects in PProCS3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old August 29th, 2007, 06:48 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Image blinking after applying effects in PProCS3

Hello,

I've apply auto color, auto contrast and focus mask (70,1,0) in Premiere Pro CS3 to a simple video of a person against a whiteboard (the person writing in the whiteboard) and after exporting and viewing the video there's a problem with the image. The white of the whiteboard change its illumination and looks kinda like is blinking, is not as fast as burst of flash, but is fast enough to notice.

Does anyone knows whats going on and how to solve this problem???

Thanks in advance.
Jose Milan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2007, 06:55 AM   #2
Major Player

Are you working in 8-bit color space? If so, that could be your problem. I've never experienced this, but I've heard that applying multiple effects to a video when working in 8-bit is asking for trouble. Try switching the project settings to 16-bit and see if that works (you might have to re-apply your effects).

EDIT: actually that may not be your problem - I can't find a way to change the color space in Premiere.
Dale Stoltzfus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2007, 07:57 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Can't find the bit depth either so might not be an option.
Old August 29th, 2007, 09:57 AM   #4
Major Player

The blinking is probably caused by using the 'auto' color and contrast settings. In auto, each frame is evaluated one by one and a different correction is made to each frame. As the subject, lighting, etc. changes from frame to frame the correction is different. When there is a constant subject (such as the whiteboard) that does not change you will see the effect of the different settings that 'auto' applies to each frame. You can often minimize this blinking by applying 'Temporal Smoothing' to the 'Auto Color' and 'Auto Contrast' effects. In the 'Auto' effect control window try a few diffent settings for the temporal smoothing option. This makes the effect average several frames together rather than adjusting them frame by frame and should smooth out the blinking you are seeing.

Another (probably better) option is to not use the auto controls and apply the corrections using other effects such as the regular Levels control, the Fast Color Corrector, or any of the other non-auto controls.
Lloyd Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2007, 04:24 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Hello Lloyd,

What you said seems very logical and almost sure has to be the problem and the answer. I'm going to check and try what you said.

Thanks,

Jose
Old September 4th, 2007, 04:00 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Sorry for the late reply...that was the problem, using auto touch-ups, using regular manual tools solved the problem.

Thanks.
Old September 5th, 2007, 01:29 PM   #7
Major Player

I have a general question about effects: I know brightness filters affect definition, but do color effects?
Urban Skargren is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite