what causes projects to become damaged? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old August 29th, 2007, 10:45 AM   #1
Major Player

what causes projects to become damaged?

Hi i notice recently I keep getting PP2.0 projects becomming damaged and Im being told it can not be open. If like on this occasion there is no file in the auto save folder I lose a lot of work as I'm sure many of you have..

It seems to happen more often when using my external hard drive attempting to edit onto a different pc.. which i know is ok as i do it all the time.. but occasionally i get the error.

Does anyone know any way of recovering damaged files or more importantly preventing this from happening?!
David J. Payne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2007, 04:31 PM   #2
Major Player

Can't comment on why or how, but will say to just save copies as you go. I usually will backup and save a copy after each editing session. Like most, I learned this the hard way and lost significant changes to a corrupt project.
Kevin Janisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2007, 09:45 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Bad mojo. Not talking gently enough to premiere pro.
Mark Yang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2007, 10:23 AM   #4
Major Player

Do you get a red screen in the project moniter? Is that the problem you are having? Is it asking you to tell it where .avi files are? Can uou give a little more detail please.

I have tried to copy my jobs to an external HD before so I could take it with me and hook it up to my laptop at home and keep on working. This generally does not work for me, and it has I think, to do with how .avi files are saved.
Steve Wolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2007, 11:11 AM   #5
Major Player

usually has to do with mixing incompatible formats on the same timeline.
Matthew Nayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2007, 12:09 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I was having similar problems, and it appears that it was a faulty 1GB memory module. After swapping it for a new one, I haven't had the problem (knock on wood). There are some programs you can download to test your RAM. I can't suggest a specific one, but you might want to try it.

I was sometimes able to repair the file manually, using XMLWrench, which was free to download on a trial basis. On some occasions, the entire problem was caused by one garbled character in the XML text (!!!). Other times half the file was missing. In any case, make frequent backups. The .prprog file is really quite small.
Bill Engeler is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite