HDV Output settings for CS3 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old September 5th, 2007, 05:22 PM   #16
Major Player

Got ya Daniel! LOL I have downloaded Debugmode Frameserver and am installing now.. Give me just a sec.. But the Frameserver will be in the File Export Movie option also correct?
Damon Gaskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2007, 05:36 PM   #17
Major Player

Ok, there are two exe's: DFsNetClient.exe and DFsNetServer.exe I moved the NetServer file and it is still not showing in the output options of the movie dialog box. Do I need to restart my machine or do I move the other?

Damon
Old September 5th, 2007, 05:57 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damon Gaskin View Post
Ok, there are two exe's: DFsNetClient.exe and DFsNetServer.exe I moved the NetServer file and it is still not showing in the output options of the movie dialog box. Do I need to restart my machine or do I move the other?

Damon
Neither. The file is cm-dfscPremiereOut.prm. You do not need to restart your machine, just restart Premier.
Daniel Browning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2007, 06:17 PM   #19
Major Player

How Weird, that is not showing at all. I actually did a search of the CS3 folder and it is not in there.
Old September 5th, 2007, 06:48 PM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
How Weird, that is not showing at all. I actually did a search of the CS3 folder and it is not in there.
During installation it will ask you where to install the file. The default location is "C:\Program Files\", but should be changed to:

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premier Pro CS3\Plug-ins\en_US\

If you didn't change it, then you may manually copy the file from "C:\Program Files" to the correct directory.
Old September 5th, 2007, 06:55 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Thanks Daniel for the help- I really appreciate it, and will be giving Frameserver a try when I get some time.
You said an uncompressed video is much better- and that's what I looked for the first time out, but couldn't find a reasonable way to do it. When I select uncompressed avi for the codec I get a 40gig file (5 minute video) and WMP player gives me an error (won't play it). Can you even output an uncompressed hd file from Premiere CS3 without third party software?
By the way- the DVD I burned with the WMV video file plays well. Looks good but not great on a 57" hd tv. So I'm still looking for a satisfactory workflow...
Old September 5th, 2007, 07:02 PM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Rothschild View Post
Thanks Daniel for the help- I really appreciate it, and will be giving Frameserver a try when I get some time.
You said an uncompressed video is much better- and that's what I looked for the first time out, but couldn't find a reasonable way to do it. When I select uncompressed avi for the codec I get a 40gig file (5 minute video) and WMP player gives me an error (won't play it).
That's no surprise. It takes quite a computer to be able to play uncompressed video in real time. Even if you had a computer and RAID system capable of playing it, WMP is *not* a very good player. I recommend Media Player Classic or VideoLAN. No one uses uncompressed video because there are several lossless codecs that are rather light on the CPU, like HuffyUV (for starters). Still, many computers can't play back even lossless compression in real time without an upgrade to quality RAID.

Of course, you can skip all the trouble of dealing with huge file sizes by just using FrameServer.

Quote:
Can you even output an uncompressed hd file from Premiere CS3 without third party software?
You already did. I don't understand why ayone would arbitrarily limit themselves from using third-party software.
Old September 5th, 2007, 07:04 PM   #23
Regular Crew

Not limiting myself- just not aware of what's out there. I'm new to this remember.
Old September 5th, 2007, 07:15 PM   #24
Major Player

Hi Daniel and Greg!

Daniel! Got it going. I see though that I will have to change my presets in the encoder before I bring the fileserve in to the encoder because I get an error if I do them afterwards. Anyhow, I am working with it now, so we will see how it goes and looks.

Greg: That is the issue I am facing and have been myself. But if I plug the output of my dvd player to my little 4:3 television, it looks ridiculously sharp. My television or LCD is 37 inches though, and no matter which settings I specify, it looks a bit pixelated, but I will see how this frameserving looks. I am actually encoding the two minute file now, so we will see how that goes.

Daniel, thanks though, I do appreciate it. I did change to the YUV2 output, so hopefully this will work. But its a very cool prospect though.
Old September 5th, 2007, 08:04 PM   #25
Major Player

Well guys, I have burned two discs and unfortunately and to be honest, they really don't look any better(if anything they look worse) than the flow I had exporting to I-frame and then encoding in Cinemacraft. I do always appreciate the experience however. Thank you Daniel as I do appreciate it, and now I know a little about file serving. But with all the steps, for me it just wasn't worth it.

I guess to get better quality, I am going to have to wait for blue ray burners to drop. That is short of buying Cinemacrafts 2K encoder, but that will not happen.

However, thanks a million guys, and Greg, I wish you the best with your quest. For me, its back to Matrox movie export... LOL

D
Old September 5th, 2007, 10:29 PM   #26
Major Player

Quote:
Well guys, I have burned two discs and unfortunately and to be honest, they really don't look any better(if anything they look worse)
If an uncompressed intermediate looks worse than an MPEG-2 intermediate, something is wrong. Could it just be the resize-algorithm in Premier? You can frameserve to VirtualDub, resize, sharpen, then frameserve out to the mpeg-2 encoder. Maybe it's one of the export settings.
Old September 6th, 2007, 06:58 AM   #27
Regular Crew

I'm just curious though, suppose we aren't using a 3rd party application for export (I assume Adobe has made an application that is supposed to handle HDV out if it takes it in). What settings are we supposed to use in CS3 that allow us to export this HDV footage in as close to the same format as we brought it in?

Personally I think I am going to have to bite the bullet and buy Cineform (outrageously priced imho) but I would rather do my best to try and export somehow in HDV right from Premiere.

I might even look at another program to be honest. It is very frustrating buying all this stuff only to find out it doesn't work without a ton of 3rd party applications.
Julian Maytum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2007, 08:02 AM   #28
Regular Crew

I absolutely agree Julian. Regarding other nle's-- I've tried this in Final Cut Pro and the results were certainly not better and possibly worse even.
Old September 6th, 2007, 08:33 AM   #29
Regular Crew

This is an interesting and pertinent little item I found on the Cineform website:
http://www.cineform.com/products/Tec...Export2DVD.htm
Old September 6th, 2007, 09:09 AM   #30
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Rothschild View Post
This is an interesting and pertinent little item I found on the Cineform website:
http://www.cineform.com/products/Tec...Export2DVD.htm
Now I just need to come up with yet another $500 to output using Cineform.. crazy!

Julian
Julian Maytum is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite