DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   Jumpy video playback in CS3 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/102867-jumpy-video-playback-cs3.html)

William W. Holcomb September 4th, 2007 10:59 PM

Jumpy video playback in CS3

Today I un-installed a loaned Matrox rt.x2. While rinning through some projects I've noticed a horrible amount of jumps in the video (both preview and source monitors.) It seems that every 30 frames or so the video will reverse a frame during playback resulting in playing the same frame twice.

Sometimes it skips a frame even after I render out the clip. I don't recall this ever happening in CS2.

Any ideas?

Zac Crosby January 16th, 2008 02:39 PM

Can anyone answer this? im having the same problem....

every form of footage and all timelines from HDV HDV24p to DV..... does the same this for me... but its not there when i export it, so its only in PPro

but only in the program and reference monitor... not in the small monitor above imported files....

thanks a ton...

Tim Bickford January 16th, 2008 03:09 PM

Do either of you have an external NTSC monitor connected via firewire? If so... does it do this on you NTSC?

Zac Crosby January 16th, 2008 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Bickford (Post 809476)
Do either of you have an external NTSC monitor connected via firewire? If so... does it do this on you NTSC?

no, im working off my 22inch VGA monitor...

Chris Soucy January 16th, 2008 05:42 PM

Hi guys........

William,

If this was working fine before the uninstall of the Matrox card, I'd say that the uninstall has removed sommat important like the correct driver for the graphics card.

I would suggest that both you and Zac take a stroll over to the Adobe web site and thoroughly scrute their library of in - depth papers on optimising/ troubleshooting pc's for use with their editing products.

I believe almost step 1. is to downoad all the latest drivers for your system, then a whole host of other stuff to cure jumpy playback amongst other things.

Worth checking out.

CS

Harm Millaard January 17th, 2008 11:03 AM

William,

Matrox had the nasty habit of using UFF for capture and editing, wheras Adobe used LFF (lower field first). It may be you are seeing the effects of field reversal.

Zac Crosby January 17th, 2008 12:53 PM

Its still doing it for me... ive installed the latest driver.s... re installed adobe, performed all windows updates and everything, inculding my video card....

still this persists..... the jumpback....

btw. do i need to pay if i call adobe for tech support?

Zac Crosby January 17th, 2008 02:59 PM

Alright... so now ive gotten it down to the Nvida card drivers.... once i install the update and restart the computer the problem is fixed..... no more jumpy playback

BUT, when i restart the comp again, or turn it off... the problem comes back...

Can anyone Help?

Chris Soucy January 17th, 2008 05:09 PM

Hi Zac.

Seems you're making progress.

Suggestion. Try this:

0. Right click on your Network icon and click "Disable" (if it's running)

1. Go to Start, Run, type in MSconfig and hit enter.

2. Go to the Startup tab and click "Disable All"

3. Go to the "Services" tab and click "Disable All".

4. Re - boot system

5. On startup it will display "You've messed with the system yada yada yada" Click "Cancel"

6. Fire up the NLE and see what happens. It may be necessary to selectively enable some items in the "Services" tab to get it running, it should tell you which ones (if any).

If the problem is fixed I would suggest running in this mode permanently. Remember tho' that the above has disabled your anti virus and firewall stuff so DON'T re - enable your network connection! (Control Panel - Network Connections [make a note of this configuration BEFORE you disable it just in case]).

If the problem isn't fixed you have a deeper problem and may need to re - install Windows.

Stay tuned for the next exciting episode.

CS

PS. Plan B.

Burrow down via Control Panel to the list of drivers loaded and being used by your Graphics card. Make a note of them in detail. Re - do the drivers so the system works properly, then make a note of the drivers and locations used in that configuration.

If for unexplained reasons the system keeps overwriting the correct driver locations/ names, it may be possible to delete / rename the incorrect ones and rename the right ones to the "wrong" names (if that made any sense whatsoever?).

There may well be a valid reason why this won't work, but if Plan A. doesn't crack this it can't really hurt to try.

This may be of some use in fixing this driver problem:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/279112/en-us

or this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314854/en-us

or even this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308514/en-us

(See "Disable Unsigned Device Drivers" towards the end of the article.)

Bob Hart January 18th, 2008 03:56 AM

This is a very very long shot, maybe related, maybe not.

I have a home assembled computer. The casework could be better. There's lots of poprivets joining panels and HDD enclosures etc..

The Video card fit to the frame and to the motherboard especially is not very remarkable.

That's what you get when you chase cheap when trying to meet the same spec as the major brands.

Anyway back to topic.

I began to get a failure which Windows XP phoned home to Microsoft.

It started off with a computer which would not boot up first go but required a reset or two to awaken it. It began progressively to become more erratic and finally would crash during every session of Premiere Pro.

The diagnosis which came back suggested a video driver problem. I trusted the diagnosis and intended to look up a latest driver download when the computer refused to start next time around.

I opened it up and found the video board had crept partially out of the motherboard socket. I blamed mice (real ones) because I had a major invasion here awhile back and found their calling cards inside the computer.

After disturbing all the motherboard junctions and trying the machine again, it was happy. Periodically it misbehaves and I have to make sure everything is fitted securely once more. My original diagnosis implicating mice was invalid. They are gone. I now blame heating and cooling cycles. I do not leave the computer operating idle but shut it down. We get lighting storms up here on the hill.

This could well be a wild goose chase but there it is anyway. I submit it because the operating system was interpreting a hardware problem as a software driver issue.