DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   "media off-line" problem in pp cs3 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/103016-media-off-line-problem-pp-cs3.html)

Peter Zipfel September 6th, 2007 04:07 PM

"media off-line" problem in pp cs3

PP cs 3 has been running OK for me since installing a couple of weeks back but suddenly I'm getting this faux media offline on clips that are there in the source monitor, but missing on timeline playback...oddly enuff...if I take the clip up a video track and back.....it reappears in the timeline playback..it also was doing strange stuff to the titles..when it went out of whack...the titles would appear as they would if you dragged them from the project window onto the timeline with no effects applied..after moving the title clips off and back on the original track in the timeline...they're OK..so now I end up selecting all the clips and moving them up and back to get the project visble in the timeline. this does ..ahem...blow..when you're trying to get work done! Any help much appreciated..I also think it is doing funky stuff with the alpha channel and areas of a clip that should be transparent..maddening to say the least as every time I turn around I see media offline everywhere..!!
Thanks for any ideas..

Damian Clarke March 18th, 2008 08:47 AM

Thank goodness for that! I thought I was going mad...re-opened my saved project and for some reason all footage from my first camera in a multi-cam sequence was offline even though I could play it right there in the source monitor!
You are a life-saver, I simply moved the footage up one track and then back down again...bloody stupid but it works and has saved my screen from hours of verbal abuse.
Great workaround but there STILL dosen't seem to be any official fix to this rather glaring bug.

Craig Lieberman March 19th, 2008 10:49 PM

Just started happening to me too. Infuriating.

I figured out your trick...it does work...I seem to have lock in preventing this by locking the clips after each edit and whenever I close Premiere.

Auto save is useless....it doesn't save anything.

To fix this, Adobe should make it so that when media is dragged into the Project box, it automatically goes through and renders the files whenever you're not actively using them or when the system has the resources to do so.

Bart Walczak March 25th, 2008 05:58 AM

If you encounter this bug, start working in a different sequence immediatelly.

Otherwise you will get the following problems:
- your effects will not be remembered next time you open the project
- your render files will not be remembered
- your transitions will not be remembered.

You will have to manuall click on the eye icon of each effect to turn it on again.

This is a nasty bug.

Bart Walczak March 26th, 2008 06:31 AM

BTW, sometimes you don't have to move the footage, it is enough to just click the eye icon on the video track twice (off and on back again).

Damian Clarke April 5th, 2008 06:42 AM

Thanks Bart, a few more insights into this woeful string of Adobe errors.
I had been wondering why my render files disappeared to, now I know. *sigh*
Any other studio would have had something this serious sorted by now.
In fact, Premiere, Encore and After Effects (all CS3) seem very twitchy, prone to crashing at the smallest upsets. If only Adobe's video-related software was half as reliable as their photo-related software, Photoshop is rock-solid.

I love Premiere et al, nice to use, powerful, plenty of plug-ins but if they don't pull their finger out with this one then I am going to seriously consider moving to Edius. Why? It just works, pure and simple.
Surely Adobe with along their experience and many versions of the program behind them can once and for all just get this puppy to play nice.