Copy Protecting an Export at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old October 11th, 2007, 11:06 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Copy Protecting an Export

Hi. I use PPro 1.5. Is it possible to add DRM or other type of copy protection to a windows media video file which I want to display on the web?

Something that if it is downloaded it expires after watching it?

All my videos are in wmv format but this one particular music video I want to showcase but don't want to have it saved on other pc's.

How does this work?

Thanks,
Russ
Old October 11th, 2007, 01:35 PM   #2
Trustee

From Wikipedia: While none of the WMV codecs themselves contain any digital rights management facilities, the ASF container format, in which a WMV stream may be encapsulated in, can. Windows Media DRM, which can be used in conjunction with WMV, supports time-limited subscription video services.

More info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Media_DRM

So, probably do-able but maybe not affordable: you would need to pay a company who provides this service.
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2007, 01:16 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks.

Maybe I'll revert to re-encoding everything as Flash videos instead so they play and streaming and not downloadable.

Russ
Old October 12th, 2007, 02:00 PM   #4
Trustee

It's an interesting question - I was hoping that someone who actually knew something about this topic might post. I was amazed at how hard it was to find any info online (not helped by the fact that every google search of course gets swamped with stuff about circumventing video drm).

By the way, the type of streaming flash available at, for example, Youtube is relatively easy to capture and convert to other video formats. Some sites do seem to have their clips better-protected however.
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2007, 07:41 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ Holland View Post
Thanks.

Maybe I'll revert to re-encoding everything as Flash videos instead so they play and streaming and not downloadable.
You can still download flash videos while streaming if thats what your thinking. Firefox has plugins that let you download any flash video that are loaded on the page, such as youtube videos.

One trick is to disable the "right-click" feature in a streamed quicktime video to disable the "save" feature.

Here is my opinion. If you want to keep people from copying/saving your work, don't publish it. There is no 100% effective method of copy protecting your work (especially with drm).
Old October 13th, 2007, 08:43 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes Coughlin View Post
If you want to keep people from copying/saving your work, don't publish it. There is no 100% effective method of copy protecting your work (especially with drm).
If it's not published it can't be seen, then what would the point be of even doing it?

If someone wanted to download it I wouldn't be too bothered, I'd just have liked to control it - then again if someone is so determined to copy something then they will find a way.

Thanks,

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite